Post by cage »

You are a machine Scott
"The simple answer is, even if I have decided I still don't know what to do."
scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: Non Mustang Projects that where not meant to be Projects

Post by scott66stang »

So 3 weeks back I travelled down south with my Mums 12ft caravan to Capel (that’s around 2hrs Drive for the Eastern staters) for a wedding. 1st weekend away without the kids for years it was bliss.
On the way down I spotted a poptop caravan for sale on the other side of a dual lane medium strip on a vacant block, I pointed it out thinking I may check it out on the way back and maybe take all the kids camping over the school holidays. Well as you will see later that is not going to happen now.
Insert : “ got very drunk and suffering major hangover”
So driving on the way home very sober and very legally I suddenly saw it again, and so hooked the rig in sideways to an abrupt stop and a cloud of dust.
The missus stayed in the car because she is known to overdo the Bundy at times and I checked the van over. It had $7000 on it but was very dirty and needed tidying up. I peeked through the window and saw it had a 3 single beds at the front including a bunk bed and a double in the back very 80s style . So I noted the make model and phone number and drove off.
Couple of days later I decided to compare it on gumtree and ebay, the same models were between 8-13k but none had bunk beds or only the main double or 2 single beds. I also checked out other brands etc but found everything was too expesive for me. I didn’t really want to spend much more than 5k otherwise I would just fix up my old 78 Millard caravan that is stripped out leaking and all mouldy inside. But I didn’t want to do that either because I have a Mustang or 2 to finish, just want some thing cheap that I can just use with minimal work.
While on gum tree I found the actual van I spotted for sale, so I sent an email saying if I travel back down would it be worthwhile with an offer of $5500. They said they will consider it and later said yes we would. So I travelled back down there picked the shit out of it and decided it just needed cleaning up and a few clips and latches fitted and under the door had been bashed a bit along with the wind down leg. $5000 was agreed on and I towed her home.
These are pics of when I got it home, just after i started cleanig the pop top canvas

There was a bunk bed at this end but it um! sort of fell down when one of the kids got up on it, can you see where im going with this?

blkpny
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by blkpny »

LOL, it's like a Mini Series!! Scott's All Aussie Adventures....

You could be the inspiration for some more Russell Coight!
Resto-Mod & Repro Mustang Parts, from the biggest & best suppliers in the Biz. For a sample of what we have, check out www.custommustangs.com.au if you don't see it there, give us a call 03 9782 8850 0438351400
Or stop into our Showroom 2/14 Lakewood Blvd, Carrum Downs
Mustangs are Addictive!
66 Coupe 418w C4 3.50 9" Convo's 10.9@122 FOR SALE
94 SN95 Coupe Supercharged V6 Daily
65 Coupe Project
scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by scott66stang »

Spent a couple of hours cleaning the poptop canvas and went out and got 4 new roof clamps as one was missing and one broken, clips for the front window steel cover broken, white wheel covers, outside in and out power sockets , 1 wind down leg and water tank filling inlet as the cap was missing and i noticed water pissing out inside the van from a broken hose connection while filling the tank. Also got 2 new wheel arch flares as one was missing, all up $320 not too bad thats all i need. We will just chuck some new vynal and carpet on the floor and we are done.

What a difference a little work makes to the appearance

Huh!! whats that? why is the window out????
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

:lol:

Did that happen when you towed it to site?
scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by scott66stang »

hybrid wrote::lol:

Did that happen when you towed it to site?
No i did it, aswell as pulling off the trim around the edge of the van, turns out it all needs resealing. Also on that side , i have no previous pics, there was another bit of angle at the bottom over the original trim with bolts going through to the main frame so i removed it to see whats going on. The bloke said the tyre shredded and took out the wheel arch.
mikes68
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by mikes68 »

scott66stang wrote:There was a bunk bed at this end but it um! sort of fell down when one of the kids got up on it, can you see where im going with this?

A Mustang Tech Love Shack???
Fifty Years Afloat

We can't alter the direction of the wind,
But we can adjust our sails
mwizz
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by mwizz »

Love the hoist
scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by scott66stang »

Any way cant remember the reason i started pulling things apart, i think i was removing the bed to pull up the carpet to replace with new stuff.
Removed the bed frame and saw some vynal contact on the wall, hmm pull that off, under it was rotted wood panelling, worst thing was the rotted wood panelling was on top of more rotted wood panelling.
Then i looked closer and all the wood panelling was over the original panelling. Bits cut out to cover the areas you see.
I pulled a bit of panelling of thinking OK got a bit of a water leak around the windows buggar im gonna have to replace a bit of panelling and reseal the windows. CRAP!!!
Was also cursing the dishonest seller of the van alot.
It gets better
The sides are built from sandwiched foam between the outer aluminium skin and the inner wood panelling both glued to the foam. This is also strengthened with timber running above and below the windows. This tmber was acting as a sponge and drawing the water along and rotting out the timber aswell as soaking into the panelling.
I decided to remove the window and strip down the rear section and replace with new stuff aswell as scrape out the timber frame and replace that.

8O 8O 8O 8O 8O

Last edited by scott66stang on Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by scott66stang »

Decided ill do the back section in a more modern white panelling as the original plan was to repaint all the interior cupboards and panelling an off white anyway to brighten things up.
Went to bunnings and picked up the right size timber for the frame and then to the caravan supplier for 2 sheets of panelling which should be heaps. And i can still knock this off so we can go camping. Wrong again :bash:
scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by scott66stang »

Refer to the above photo with the window out, i mentioned i removed the lower trim and another trim that was bolted through to the chassis. Thats because the lower section of the side panel was also wood and it was pop riveted with 50mm rivots into the trailer chassis rails. Problem was all that wood was rotted out aswell and was doing SFA the bolts and extra trim was put there to stop the wall from coming away. Also an Ikea cuboard had been mounted to the wheel arch and tied into the wall for reinforcement and to hide more rotted panelling.

So this is where i say OZBILT'N SCOTT66STANG @%!#@ LICKING PRICK ....You have delibrately bodged this up to sell. :x :twisted:

And from there i have just kept going stripping it down removing all the windows rotted frame, panelling, etc etc I might as well do things prpoerly.
I have lost my money on a piece of shit and am not dishonest enough to sell it on to get it back.
I will just rebuild it better and more modern with a shower and toilet , slide out side storage draws etc.
At least the other side of the van with the kitchen and no windows is solid i have checked that now.

Enjoy the pics
scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by scott66stang »

scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by scott66stang »

Then i thought ...this is going to be easier if i just pull the whole wall off....so i did.... and yes it is easier to work on.
Also moved it to the shed which is why i had to fix the jammed up 4 post hoist first.

So this is where im up to, its a clean slate and although lots of work i will only need to spend about $1500 and i will have a refurbished van laid out the way i want with a modern look with shower and toilet and split air cond i will fit aswell for just over $6500 total cost.

Last edited by scott66stang on Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Foresight
Zebras for hire
Zebras for hire

Post by Foresight »

You are a one man army Scott
Cheers,
Lee & Q
69 428 mach 1 - Guess who...it's Q!
scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King