NT
No votes

Total votes: 18

Cruzn65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Re: 2013 Mustang Nationals WA

Post by Cruzn65 »

yep we had 3 mikes on the return side tims at strip stage and mine running and bodywork stage they generated lots of interest
early Mustang enthusiast\collector of all bits Mustang
scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by scott66stang »

Cruzn65 wrote:yep we had 3 mikes on the return side tims at strip stage and mine running and bodywork stage they generated lots of interest
whew!! i thought i had forgotten to take a pic of your project.

I missed Birchy's (S[_]spect) 67 somehow, i took the photos in 2 runs so i think i missed a row somewhere. Sorry mate. :-|
Cameron
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Cameron »

Disclaimer: The 2013 Mustang Nations was my first ever car show. Like a doe eyed teenager climbing into the back seat of my new boyfriends car I didn't know what to expect. I haven't attended "social" car gatherings before. Today Tonight tells me that its only blokes with Honda's that do that.

So I went in to this whole MOCWA Nats 13' fresh and with clean sheets. I was the outsider.

And I was disappointed.

But lets not start things off on a bad note. There were some stupidly good cars. I am amazed that there is such a depth of quality in Western Australia and also the fanatical commitment to petrol guzzling that the interstate crowd must have. But there was no fanfare and it lacked magic.

The ultimate judge? My girlfriend was bored and sat down next to the fence and 50m away from the cars half way (or about 30mins) through our initial walk through. Was she your target market? No. But it outlines the fact that unless you knew the cars - there was nothing entertaining.

Now im not expecting there to be xbox stands and day-time fireworks. But i do expect the event organisers not to run out of water at 1:30pm. $6 ice creams i can live with - but I don't see how they matched the "feel" or culture portrayed of the day. It seemed as if someone looked up ice-cream vendors online - then booked them to come without the second though as to why or how.

What should of happened is the people organising to create an Americana day. Or at least put in some effort so that it doesn't look like a car park with an ice cream truck. It wouldnt have been hard and the event came off looking lazy. MOCWA should have broken the day down to divide the tasks to people to complete tasks like:
- Contact the American Embassy for some memorabilia and flags.
- Contact Krispy Kreme, American chocolate and food importers (or the local IGA to donate), McDonalds etc
- Have a baseball game (with foam balls) or Basketball. Reps from the Wildcats/Perth Heat
- Some american music rather than the mustang advert repeated over and over again
- Elvis and other impersonators (even better if they were MOCA officials in American costume) walking around to have their photo taken next to your car.

Only ideas off the top of my head. But this was the nationals. What I experienced on the weekend - yeah that would have been adequate for a yearly meet up - show and shine or whatever its called. But not the nationals. Not for people flying interstate. Not for people driving/freighting their cars. And not for an event that only comes to WA every 5+ years. There should have been more effort and more commitment.

Its easy to criticize, i know. But let me be the first to put my hand up and say that ill help next time.

Not pointing fingers at individuals, but at the... display (probably the most appropriate wording) itself. Billing it as an "event" or "Show" is completely inaccurate. Even the WA Maritime Museum, what contains old bits of wooden boats, coins and vases has more life in it.
S[_]SPECT
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by S[_]SPECT »

Dont hold back Cam... Tell us what you really think
Cheers,
Birchy...
Dodgy Bros. Customs

Suspect 67 - http://www.mustangtech.com.au/Forums/vi ... /t=52.html
mikes68
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by mikes68 »

Thanks for the feedback Cam,

Now if only you had put your hand up at the start to help out Craig, Rob & Julie, Lynda & Brian, Wilf, Tim, myself and a small number of others we might have really achieved something!!!
Fifty Years Afloat

We can't alter the direction of the wind,
But we can adjust our sails
Exhausted
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Exhausted »

S[_]SPECT wrote:Dont hold back Cam... Tell us what you really think
Your other half sounds as if she gets bored easily. First time I've been to an event like this as well. Next time I'll put my hand up to help as well. You go to these events to see what other peoples passion is like not to see the side shows. On that note ... yes there is more scope .... so next time maybe a committee should be formed to be able to give more coverage. The main event was to look at Mustangs. The guy's that put a lot of their time into this event should be congratulated not ridiculed. :rant: At the end of the day "all is good"
jusTANG
PatCH the Platypus
PatCH the Platypus

Post by jusTANG »

Cam also remember it was a three or four day event...... you saw one little part of it.

When we hosted our event in Canberra the first year I was involved (a couple years ago) I was for doing things different to what they had done and the few shows i had been to. I pushed forward kids entertainment and the guys supported me, as if the kids are happy normally the wives are happy.
Some of your idea's are great, remembering you have a tight budget to run by.

get involved and try have a couple of events before the next nationals and try a few things out. getting the public involved gives it a great atmosphere

just my 2 cents worth,
Cheers,
j
Cameron
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Cameron »

I respect greatly the people whom put time and effort into the day. Im not pointing the finger at them. They donated their time, effort, personal resources and in some cased, personal funds to make the day a success.

And you're right Exhausted its primary goal is to focus on the cars. And it did that superbly.

But that event is held yearly. People dont drive, fly and lodge themselves in Joondalup on one of the most expensive weekends in the calendar year to attend a vewing. This is the Nationals. The big show.

It deserves a little fanfare.

But! The above posts are my personal thoughts only. I didnt air them on here for mutual masturbation. Ive never been to a car show before. I didnt know what to expect. Again, just an outsider but happy to help next time.
Cruzn65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Cruzn65 »

Well as the chairperson of the 2013 organising committee I feel that there need to be some comment here.

I will state up front that I'm not going to get stuck in and kick shit out of Cam although if I was in the same room I might treat his punk arse (Dirty Harry speak) to an old school beating :)

In many respects the nationals as they are represent the traditional show and the expectation that the will be the same year in and year out is ever present. Unfortunately those expectations shape the event.

Rightly or wrongly the nationals are about the concours cars. The argument is that these cars set the standard and preserve the originality of the cars. For most of us this is beyond reach. Cost and time prevent an average punter from "competing". I will never bother, happy with my driver.

So there is a massive amount of effort going into organising what is required for judging etc etc. The "show" supplements the Nationals and not the other way round. This is evidenced by the number of trophies - almost 30 for concours cars and just 6 show n shines... mind you if we wanted to give them out we could have invented a whole new layer at our discretion but the wouldn't be national then.

A dozen people organised Friday, Saturday Sunday and Monday activities. From the venue for functions, menus, accommodation, cruises, merchandise, vendors, traffic management, show layout (physical marking), trophies etc etc etc, the list goes on. None of us do this professionally.

Further to that, yes there was a fair bit of interest in the restored oldies and new Mustangs but I can post a picture showing what there was more interest in than just about anything else.... and they weren't even restored. If it was a popularity contest, Tim, Mike's and my bombs/projects would have won the 30 trophies :)

Yep its a bunch of cars on an oval and looks like a car park and there isn't much more going on. Its interesting to have a wander around and then go, but being there all day.... I was more than happy to leave at 3.

Food vendors do not want to work on Easter Sunday for 2000 customers. It isnt worth their while and it was a struggle to get the icecream and coffee dudes there. We tried mobile pizza, chicken etc etc, trust me the interest was just not there.

The icecream vendor came because he was known to one of the committee members not because he saw it as a lucrative commercial venture. As for the price well if you bought the same icecream at Simmos in Dunsborough I'd dare say the price would be the same.

The cub BBQ was manned by club members and those troopers worked their arses off cooking 620 hotdogs and 50+ bacon and egg burgers all day in the 30+ degree heat. They did it because there was a lack of interest from the commercial sector.

The committee was focussed on getting cars to the "show". We had 184 on the oval which was 80 more than 2008. In addition to that there were another 70 odd that were on display in the car park outside the gate. We smashed 2008.

2500 members of the public passed through the gate. We will have a surplus which will be donated to charity.

It would have been good to see other activity supporting the display of cars to create a real "show" but as I see it there were a few impediments.
1. the weekend timing is wrong, avoid any normal holiday to keep costs down
2. the Mustang following is limited, you'd get more attend a Commodores with Chevy badges only show
3. the fraternity is crusty and there are few young blokes at your age that are committed to anything other than shaggin their nuts off and getting pissed with their mates every weekend, thats why the old blokes have enough time, they only have to worry about getting pissed with their mates
4. the nationals are about the concours cars not about drivers, if it were the other way round the whole thing would be far more relaxed.
5. too few people do too much, in my 9 years associated with the club little has changed and probably never will.

So in summary Cam you are officially the first member of the 2018 Mustang Nationals Organising Committee :)

Yours respectfully
Craig
2013 Nationals Organising Committee Chairman
early Mustang enthusiast\collector of all bits Mustang
Exhausted
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Exhausted »

Cameron wrote:I respect greatly the people whom put time and effort into the day. Im not pointing the finger at them. They donated their time, effort, personal resources and in some cased, personal funds to make the day a success.

And you're right Exhausted its primary goal is to focus on the cars. And it did that superbly.

But that event is held yearly. People dont drive, fly and lodge themselves in Joondalup on one of the most expensive weekends in the calendar year to attend a vewing. This is the Nationals. The big show.

But! The above posts are my personal thoughts only. I didnt air them on here for mutual masturbation. Ive never been to a car show before. I didnt know what to expect. Again, just an outsider but happy to help next time.
Next time Cam we'll both get on board & see if we can help with extra sponsors. You made some valid & noted points & so has Craig. Next Nationals lets put some more into it to help
mikes68
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by mikes68 »

Exhausted wrote:
Cameron wrote:I respect greatly the people whom put time and effort into the day. Im not pointing the finger at them. They donated their time, effort, personal resources and in some cased, personal funds to make the day a success.

Next time Cam we'll both get on board & see if we can help with extra sponsors. You made some valid & noted points & so has Craig. Next Nationals lets put some more into it to help
Do you still expect to be around then old fella :poke: :poke: :poke:

:outtahere:
Fifty Years Afloat

We can't alter the direction of the wind,
But we can adjust our sails
tim_morrison82
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by tim_morrison82 »

i agree, Sunday is a day of rest for those who are involved in the nationals from interstate.

to understand the whole deal, you need to be involved in the whole weekend...

definately things i would have liked to have been different, change the weekend to attract more interest, etc... and get more stuff outsourced to be done by professionals (e.g. logo's posters, photography, etc...)

however, we did as much as we could physically do for the nationals, we all put in a huge effort to get the event sorted, and on top of this, we had our own cars and projects to get there...

i had a full on weekend, and enjoyed every bit of it. meeting new people, seeing old faces, and sharing stories with mustang lovers and with the general public.

for us to ever "evolve" as a club, we need new active members to contribute, more than once every 5 years. come spend some time at meetings, plan cruises, give time to help out with some of the jobs around the club, etc, so people dont have to rely on what has been done in previous years that has worked. people do get bored very quickly. we need to change things up a bit every now and then. but no one puts their hand up to make a difference.

fair enough, you have your opinions, however, if you want to put shit on the club, get involved, and i don't mean in 5 yrs time, start now. Tuesday is the next meeting, come along, meet some of the regulars, get involved.
Dreaming the dream... Living the reality...
Exhausted
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Exhausted »

mikes68 wrote:
Exhausted wrote:

Do you still expect to be around then old fella :poke: :poke: :poke:

:outtahere:
You need to go to the far queue & wait. :rotfl:
cage
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by cage »

Cruzn65 wrote:Well as the chairperson of the 2013 organising committee I feel that there need to be some comment here.

I will state up front that I'm not going to get stuck in and kick shit out of Cam although if I was in the same room I might treat his punk arse (Dirty Harry speak) to an old school beating :)

In many respects the nationals as they are represent the traditional show and the expectation that the will be the same year in and year out is ever present. Unfortunately those expectations shape the event.

Rightly or wrongly the nationals are about the concours cars. The argument is that these cars set the standard and preserve the originality of the cars. For most of us this is beyond reach. Cost and time prevent an average punter from "competing". I will never bother, happy with my driver.

So there is a massive amount of effort going into organising what is required for judging etc etc. The "show" supplements the Nationals and not the other way round. This is evidenced by the number of trophies - almost 30 for concours cars and just 6 show n shines... mind you if we wanted to give them out we could have invented a whole new layer at our discretion but the wouldn't be national then.

A dozen people organised Friday, Saturday Sunday and Monday activities. From the venue for functions, menus, accommodation, cruises, merchandise, vendors, traffic management, show layout (physical marking), trophies etc etc etc, the list goes on. None of us do this professionally.

Further to that, yes there was a fair bit of interest in the restored oldies and new Mustangs but I can post a picture showing what there was more interest in than just about anything else.... and they weren't even restored. If it was a popularity contest, Tim, Mike's and my bombs/projects would have won the 30 trophies :)

Yep its a bunch of cars on an oval and looks like a car park and there isn't much more going on. Its interesting to have a wander around and then go, but being there all day.... I was more than happy to leave at 3.

Food vendors do not want to work on Easter Sunday for 2000 customers. It isnt worth their while and it was a struggle to get the icecream and coffee dudes there. We tried mobile pizza, chicken etc etc, trust me the interest was just not there.

The icecream vendor came because he was known to one of the committee members not because he saw it as a lucrative commercial venture. As for the price well if you bought the same icecream at Simmos in Dunsborough I'd dare say the price would be the same.

The cub BBQ was manned by club members and those troopers worked their arses off cooking 620 hotdogs and 50+ bacon and egg burgers all day in the 30+ degree heat. They did it because there was a lack of interest from the commercial sector.

The committee was focussed on getting cars to the "show". We had 184 on the oval which was 80 more than 2008. In addition to that there were another 70 odd that were on display in the car park outside the gate. We smashed 2008.

2500 members of the public passed through the gate. We will have a surplus which will be donated to charity.

It would have been good to see other activity supporting the display of cars to create a real "show" but as I see it there were a few impediments.
1. the weekend timing is wrong, avoid any normal holiday to keep costs down
2. the Mustang following is limited, you'd get more attend a Commodores with Chevy badges only show
3. the fraternity is crusty and there are few young blokes at your age that are committed to anything other than shaggin their nuts off and getting pissed with their mates every weekend, thats why the old blokes have enough time, they only have to worry about getting pissed with their mates
4. the nationals are about the concours cars not about drivers, if it were the other way round the whole thing would be far more relaxed.
5. too few people do too much, in my 9 years associated with the club little has changed and probably never will.

So in summary Cam you are officially the first member of the 2018 Mustang Nationals Organising Committee :)

Yours respectfully
Craig
2013 Nationals Organising Committee Chairman
:like: Hats of to you Craig and the rest of the crew for putting your hard earned time and effort in over the Easter break when most folk are stuffing themselves full of chocolate goodness.

Cam, you have a right to your thoughts and comments and fair enough but I think Craig just smoked you buddy. :rotfl: with his last line
Cruzn65 wrote:So in summary Cam you are officially the first member of the 2018 Mustang Nationals Organising Committee :)
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

Cruzn65 wrote:
Could somebody set up a poll please. :lol: