Project 'Patience' the 64.5 Fastback

Create your project threads here if you prefer to keep them out of the regular forums

Moderator: Moderators

Borgche
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Re: Project 'Patience' the 64.5 Fastback

Post by Borgche »

64.5 wiper mounts

interior complete with nos button wheel

luxury interior
1965 Fastback A code

I am Borg. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.
Nuts
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Nuts »

Interesting belhousing there!
My Motto - Don't get Caught! If you do, Blame Someone Else!

MUSTANG - Fantastic Not Plastic
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

Nuts wrote:Interesting belhousing there!
I have a steel version if you want one Nuts ..... :poke:
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
Hawko
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Hawko »

What's the difference with 64.5 wiper mounts?
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

Hawko wrote:What's the difference with 64.5 wiper mounts?
Nut on the top, you can see it in the pic. Later type bolted up from under the dash with no nut visible on top.
Kerry

Borgche
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by Borgche »

Oh here's one of the floor patch panels welded from inside only

but on the whole a good base.

Now for a PLAN...
1. Repair engine bay and front inside sheet metal so it resembles less of a Gaza strip school house i.e. ideal for firing missiles out of and more like an engine bay I wont be ashamed to pop the lid on
2. get some one who knows what they are doing to do the sheetmetal work as it's handy that the panels will line up when we put it all back together
3. Search the intranet for dimensions
4. Visit Hills Mustang with a long list of parts
5. Enter Norm and the old pig shed, squeal like a pig boy!
1965 Fastback A code

Borgche
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by Borgche »

Norm is a beater mate of my brother's, he lives on an old pig farm. he kept one of the pig sheds as a workshop. How he lines things up with a 20% grade on the concrete floor I'll never know. Some things are and always will be a mystery.

Patience with apron and skirts stripped off and down to her undies for all the world to see shame shame Patience

Oh there's another 5" missile hatch in the firewall, can't have too many of those

Patience still had what looked like factory cardboard spacers on the door hinges (Can anybody confirm this). The left door was a bitch to line up with the US replaced rear quarter panel. The right door needed the hinge backing plate cut down to fit, it likely never lined up.

Oh new door hinges went on as well, now they close like a new car, well like a new armored personnel carrier at least those doors are friggin heavy. Norm straightened the original bonnet hinges as well which means they actually close now.

Norm found that the shock towers had as refugees need to do in a warzone migrated, inboard abt 25-35mm to be exact all repatriated back to their rightful homes now.

The side mounted radiator mods created all kinds of problems which had to be rectified. At least it confirmed there was next to zero rust in the rails.

And repaired...

Some of Patience's new evening attire

Repairs coming along nicely. I did not have a shot of the damage here but this shock tower looked like someone hit it with a very sharp meat cleaver, cut straight through in the corner now good as new

what hole

the bolt up with real sheet metal

OMG the fibreglass bonnet even lines up

Patience looking more like a car again, (not happy with the bottom repop grill support though it don't fit)

As you can see Norm is more than a beater hes's an arteest and a bit of a bloody perfectionist to boot. God love you Norm.

Now for me to crack a toothless grin and squeal like a pig booy!!! (que music: Dueling Banjos from the movie Deliverence)

Twang twang twang twang twang twang twang doodoo doo doo dooo.....
Last edited by Borgche on Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1965 Fastback A code

Ronin187
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Ronin187 »

bluddy fantastic JB!! I had no idea that it was in that shape when you got it!You're going to keep it fairly stock yeah?
Borgche
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by Borgche »

Yep was looking kind of shabby. All new straight sheet metal up front makes a huge difference.

Any tips on marking up the front guards etc. so I can remove and easily line up at a later date. My bro told me it took Norm, an old skool beater of 25+ yrs experience, five hours to get it right. I was thinking of drilling small holes and use for alignment pins.

I really like the early first generation of mustangs so appearance wise I like the stockish look, though updating somewhat. I have Coys C-67 17" (sorry gents that's the "E" word again) wheels. The fibreglass bonnet is staying and the shaved window sills will remain as well. The rear apron is already GT style twin exhaust. Shelby side vents, front 350-R scoop or trunk wing I spit on and we'll have none of those

Interior wise red standard 65 vinyl TMI interior with old skool recaros retrimmed to suit. The recaros are ex proton GTIs and are quite small so will i think suit (here's a shot of someone else's interior with similar recaoro seats) and standard console with a few tweaks here and there.

And mine..as they are now
I measured them up against the stock seats and tehy are pretty much the smame size without the headrests
Last edited by Borgche on Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1965 Fastback A code

boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

Sounds great. You have a top plan there. Looking forward to seeing the progress.
I will someday think of something clever to say.
Nuts
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Nuts »

I use a 1/8" drill and drill a couple of holes under the guard bolt washer so they won't be seen when the bolts are in.
My Motto - Don't get Caught! If you do, Blame Someone Else!

MUSTANG - Fantastic Not Plastic
Borgche
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by Borgche »

Cool that what I'll do then

Thanks Nuts -
1965 Fastback A code

ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

John. Are there torque boxes in your stuff here? I seem to remember that on the list. Must have a look in the morning.

If so it is a good time for them to be fitted if the pics you posted are current.
Kerry

Borgche
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by Borgche »

Hi Kerry There should be, I know I ordered them great if you could check. Yep the pictures are current.

This is a good intro into the decision for the thread of a slight change in direction to go Right Hand Drive for the build. Apologies for the purists out there.

I have a question for people who have rhd did you change over the wipers or not I was speaking to a 66 owner who left them and thought the coverage was better that way.

Cheers
1965 Fastback A code

scedd
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by scedd »

Frankenstang didn't have the wipers converted and the sweep is certainly NOT better than an OZ car, but its fine to drive with
The word "swims" upside-down is still "swims".
- If you rip a hole in a net, there are actually fewer holes in it than there were before