347 Build

Create your project threads here if you prefer to keep them out of the regular forums

Moderator: Moderators

boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: 347 Build

Post by boofhead »

Trickflow make a 6.1 length. I have not looked at other brands so may other options out there,

http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/t ... /overview/

In your case, the length is marginally important because it does not influence the height of the rocker. So as long at the adjustment is there and the cup of the adjuster covers the rod correctly in full points of motion you will be fine.
I will someday think of something clever to say.
lukep6470
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by lukep6470 »

So Summit talk about overall length. WTF!!

Which does it refer back to? Theoretical or Actual?
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

End to end.
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

I didn't have an issues when I did mine.
Measured my adjustable one, then just ordered that length. Pretty sure mine came from summit.
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

Push rods come in 50 increments. You can't get them spot on just as close as you can. Performance wholesale at Cronulla st slacks creek will have what you need.
lukep6470
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by lukep6470 »

Yep I was just overthinking it all. I've ordered a set of 6.100" TFS from Summit.
lukep6470
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by lukep6470 »

I just installed the balancer on the weekend and my EDIS kit arrives today :-(
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

Interesting - so your going to run an EDIS 8 with your Microsquirt. Cool.

Have you organised and installed a 36-1 wheel and crank sensor? I would be interesting in the approach you have taken. I have thought a lot about the 36-1 install though I intend to combine with a Cam sensor and a MS3. This is on my EFI upgrade project TODO (at some point) list.
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

Yeah I think if I was going to install the crank sensor, I would go COP and convert my MSD into a cam sensor.

But bugger that... too much wiring :lol:
lukep6470
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by lukep6470 »

I bought a doorman tone ring for a 4.6 V8 but it needs some work to fit to the balancer so I said stuff it!! I might put more effort into it now. The dart short block is 28oz so I can't use an AU balancer.

I have the coil packs and leads. A cam angle sensor to run the oil pump and now the EDIS8 module has arrived with the crank sensor.

I think I'll pull the balancer and machine up the tone ring to fit behind it.
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

lukep6470 wrote:I bought a doorman tone ring for a 4.6 V8 but it needs some work to fit to the balancer so I said stuff it!! I might put more effort into it now. The dart short block is 28oz so I can't use an AU balancer.

I have the coil packs and leads. A cam angle sensor to run the oil pump and now the EDIS8 module has arrived with the crank sensor.

I think I'll pull the balancer and machine up the tone ring to fit behind it.
You can use the AU balancer no issue. Just take it down to Grant Jenkins at Brisbane balancing and have him balance it to 28, Too easy wont cost much. I've had him do balance flex plates, flywheels and balancers from 28-50-28 to O etc not a problem. He will just drill some holes in it and spin it up on his Sunnen machine.
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

I had though of using the 50oz balancer though discarded it simply because I want a 28oz (or neural which is better). Having said that modifying the 50oz balancer did not, in my mind, seam possible. I guess it is just weight that needs to be removed (in the right spot(s)).

My plan was to attach it to the pulley so it was against the front of the balancer.
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

boofhead wrote:I had though of using the 50oz balancer though discarded it simply because I want a 28oz (or neural which is better). Having said that modifying the 50oz balancer did not, in my mind, seam possible. I guess it is just weight that needs to be removed (in the right spot(s)).

My plan was to attach it to the pulley so it was against the front of the balancer.
The 50 oz one just has a bigger bob weight cast into it, Grant will just mill it down till it spins up at 28 oz out of balance. No different to doing a Windsor fly wheel, which often happens when you stick a 5.0 engine in a 28oz car, you just drill holes opposite the 28oz bob weight to get the 50,. Grant did Rods flex plate 28 to Neutral, when he did the rotating assembly. 50oz flex plates don't have 50 oz weight they have a hole cut opposite the bob the and two add to 50 out of balance. You could use a roller cam 351 balancer perhaps I'll check out the ones I have here and see if they have teeth on them, they will be 28. I know both of the engines I have here, have mount for the sensor at the balancer.
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

As it happens the 1970-80 302 and the 1970-96 351W use the same damper so a later EFI EDIS 351W would be perfect as it would be the correct weight. Having said that the bolt holes would be wrong for my early pulley. Minor consideration I would expect.
lukep6470
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by lukep6470 »

I suspect even the 1996 351 used a dizzy. I've been doing much googling and ebaying and can't find a toothy balancer.