Information on importing your car or parts

Moderator: Moderators

moe
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: Quick stamp duty question

Post by moe »

ponyride wrote:
moe wrote:I thought the new ownwer would hand in the plates when it is registered in WA. Rego normally isn't cancelled by the seller if the buyer is interstate in my experience.

Reimbursement is then sought for remaining rego by the new owner.
NSW example:
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/ ... rrego.html
Moe you can't claim reimbursement for remaining rego unless you have transferred the car to your name, in N.S.W. first. Then you're paying two lots of transfer fees, one in NSW to get it in your name, then here to get it in your name.You can do whatever you want, if you want to pay for it!

The simplest and most common option is to leave rego over there. The old owner will want to hand the plates in to get the balance back on his rego so the buyer won't really have an option anyway. Easy peasy.
Doesn't quite work like that. The initial transfer would include a stamp duty component. Any additional transfer would be a small admin fee and the cost of the new plates. Can't pay stamp duty on the same vehicle multiple times. Members of the defence force don't pay stamp duty on their vehicle for an interstate transfer when they are posted around the country. Would still be a viable option if the car had full rego.
ponyride
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by ponyride »

moe wrote:
ponyride wrote:
moe wrote:I thought the new ownwer would hand in the plates when it is registered in WA. Rego normally isn't cancelled by the seller if the buyer is interstate in my experience.

Reimbursement is then sought for remaining rego by the new owner.
NSW example:
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/ ... rrego.html
Moe you can't claim reimbursement for remaining rego unless you have transferred the car to your name, in N.S.W. first. Then you're paying two lots of transfer fees, one in NSW to get it in your name, then here to get it in your name.You can do whatever you want, if you want to pay for it!

The simplest and most common option is to leave rego over there. The old owner will want to hand the plates in to get the balance back on his rego so the buyer won't really have an option anyway. Easy peasy.
Doesn't quite work like that. The initial transfer would include a stamp duty component. Any additional transfer would be a small admin fee and the cost of the new plates. Can't pay stamp duty on the same vehicle multiple times. Members of the defence force don't pay stamp duty on their vehicle for an interstate transfer when they are posted around the country. Would still be a viable option if the car had full rego.
Moe defence force personnel are different, they get concessions because they are required to move interstate and it's part of their employment package. Each State has its own revenue, it's not a Federal tax we're talking about, it's a State tax. The W.A. government wants their revenue from stamp/transfer fees, they don't care who paid what in N.S.W., the car can be driven here for a short time on N.S.W. reg but then has to be registered here, IF the previous owner leaves it registered, but most times they hand in the plates to get their refund on the registration. The stamp duty has nothing to do with it, that's gone. I did exactly this with a car from Qld just last week and have done a few times now but I'm not claiming to be an expert so anyone thinking of doing this really needs to call Transport in their own State to get the answer, we can only offer opinions and experiences on a forum.
Rick.

Old things amuse all minds.
moe
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by moe »

Maybe a separate section describing what is required state by state, with links to local laws/forms would be good?
ponyride
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by ponyride »

moe wrote:Maybe a separate section describing what is required state by state, with links to local laws/forms would be good?
Nah, too boring. :)
Rick.

Old things amuse all minds.
moe
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by moe »

ponyride wrote:
moe wrote:Maybe a separate section describing what is required state by state, with links to local laws/forms would be good?
Nah, too boring. :)
Could have Shermatt's nurses point the way???