Fatkid clone pt 2 - The young kid clone - 65' GT 350

Create your project threads here if you prefer to keep them out of the regular forums

Moderator: Moderators

Ausjacko
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: Fatkid clone pt 2 - The young kid clone - 65' GT 350

Post by Ausjacko »

Shane
Your work looks great. Given the pace, just wondering if you are OD'ing on red bulls.
Cheers
Jacko
'68 J-code GT Fastback
'67 S-code GT coupe, 'Pink Bitz' formerly known as 'Hookin' up a brother'
'69 M_____ GTS Fastback 'Blasted'
shane427
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by shane427 »

:dance2: :dance2:

Engine started and sounds sweeter then 15 swedish girls having sex :-D

Was expecting it to be a bit of a pig to start after sitting for awhile, but a few cranks to circulate oil and get fuel up, hooked up the dizzy and away she went.

Ran it for awhile to check the cooling system and heater box plumbing. Unfortunatley...afterwards i nocticed a few drips of coolant coming from the heater box so will rip if out and check the fittings.

Have pulled back all the rad and heater hoses to get braided, and started wiring up dash and engine. Hiding as many engine wires behind the fenders as possible. After pulling the dash out ....
:argh: where to start!!! Luckily matt has labelled mostof the gauge wires, just need to trace the rest.

Any tips for removing all the switches and bezels from the dash?
Have tried the paperclip and key trick to remove the ignition, but no luck.
cage
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by cage »

[quote="shane427"]:dance2: :dance2:

Engine started and sounds sweeter then 15 swedish girls having sex :-D

quote]

Easy Tiger you may have stretched the truth a bit there. I love the sound of a mustang but better than 15 swedish girls having sex, I don't think so. :drool:
shane427
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by shane427 »

Ok maybe a little stretch. None the less it is an awesome feeling starting up your first V8 car for the first time.

Little video - neither the neighbours nor the camera appreciated who loud it is without exhausts. Sorry about my camera skills :|

rock66
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by rock66 »

Shane i wouldnt mind the sound of your engine if i was your neighbour,just not on Sunday morning!
cage
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by cage »

That does sound good. I still haven't heard mine and it will be a long wait. Nice one shane.
"The simple answer is, even if I have decided I still don't know what to do."
shane427
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by shane427 »

Thanks guys,

Was supprised how close the timing and carb setup was. Once everything back togther and finished will get dyno and tune.

Sat arvo was a thoughtful time to fire her up in suburbia, the lady across the road wasn't so happy. She will get used to it :|
Nuts
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Nuts »

Sounds real sweet Shane! :headbang:
donoauto
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by donoauto »

shane427 wrote: Sat arvo was a thoughtful time to fire her up in suburbia, the lady across the road wasn't so happy. She will get used to it :|
Ah just get her a six pack of beer .Wait til you start doing burnouts - then you'll have to get her a slab! :moon:
(PRAYER) Oh thank you Wild Turkey American Honey & Cola in those small thin bottles, for giving me the strength to act like a half wit, and say stupid things at inappropriate times, semi-anonymously, on a public forum.
Amen.
shane427
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by shane427 »

Since the wiring isn't hooked up i've decided to retro-fit what I have, re-doing some parts. Hope I havn't bitten of more then I can chew...

The plan is to mount a fuse box and isolator under the dash/glovebox somehere - routing all the instrument/ignition/switch wires across the dash to the passangers side. All wiring will go under fender, coming through toe-board part? rather then through the firewall into the engine bay. From there out into the headlight buckets and across the radiator support as required.

Going to relocate start relay and reg to under the battery tray somewhere.
Just need to figure out how to route dizzy wires neatly to the harness.

Will patch firewall holes for now and much later down the track look at fabricating/modifiying some smoothed inner fenders and false smooth firewall. At the moment there just visions though...so many other improtant things to do first!!
shermatt
The Fatkid
The Fatkid

Post by shermatt »

shane427 wrote:Ok maybe a little stretch. None the less it is an awesome feeling starting up your first V8 car for the first time.

Little video - neither the neighbours nor the camera appreciated who loud it is without exhausts. Sorry about my camera skills :|

That was my 15 sweedish girls for the day

Thanks for doing that Shane :thumbs:

Matt
shane427
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by shane427 »

Finally got the boot area finished and up to my standard. Can see why it got left the first time round, its all a prick to work on. Hours laying through the trap door and leaning through the boot. Probably a little overboard but now the trap door surround, boot hinge supports and upper boot panel support thingy (the flat tray between the trap door surround, boot lip and hinge supports) are all rust free, sealed and rust proofed. Now it will all get covered with trim :|

Also spoke to my auto sparky mate and figured out the plan for a full re-wire. Going to attack it myself and he can sort out any gremlins. The reason for going a full rewire is the I want to...
1) clear the engine bay of wiring as much as possible, relocate starter relay and regulator out of view.
2) wire in new fuse box and these trip switch things (similiar to an RCD)
3) wire in immobilser and alarm into harness so no prick can steal it.
4) new plugs and wires throughout so its pain free in the years to come.
5) relays for headlights, horns etc

Will take some pictures as I go
shane427
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by shane427 »

After a little advice...
You can see my top radiator hose in the vid. It continues to kink near the radiator inlet and thermostate hosing where the internal spring stops. Ended up with dayco flex radiator hose (with the spring in the convaluted part) which was going to get braided. Unsure how to stop it kinking? longer hose, different type?

The bottom one turned out fine.
shane427
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by shane427 »

All stories need an end, and finally the one that started off in a Florida backyard with our mate Shermatt has come to an end. After way too many holidays, other priorities and fussing I finally have rego complete and the fastback on the road.

Highly recommend the guys down at Warrick (for WA people) for rego, was very simple, practical and good for a few laughs.

Unfortunately flew back to work 12hrs later so haven’t had much of a cruise yet.

Have a ton of pictures and work to summarise on here, more for myself to justify the time it has taken then anything but also to reminisce about the good & bad – stay tuned.

Would also like to say thanks to Matt for the car, was more than happy with its “as is” condition, Exhausted and Frank Classics Garage for the work they did.

Cheers,
Shane
Foresight
Zebras for hire
Zebras for hire

Post by Foresight »

Great news shane, have to head out for a cruise mate :thumbs:
Cheers,
Lee & Q
69 428 mach 1 - Guess who...it's Q!