Rear parcel shelf & ADR's

Need help on paint, paint prep, welding, engines etc?

Moderator: Moderators

Ausjacko
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: Rear parcel shelf & ADR's

Post by Ausjacko »

Car will fold and fail? If he saw me he would consider me and my weight a walking ADR infraction!
Best not divulge that I put the GPS antennae on the parcel shelf; car will surely crumple.

Ever thought of seeking another opinion. Jeff is talking sense, just don't let him start on a mircosquirt- he is not talking a wee either ;-).
'68 J-code GT Fastback
'67 S-code GT coupe, 'Pink Bitz' formerly known as 'Hookin' up a brother'
'69 M_____ GTS Fastback 'Blasted'
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

At my local licensing depot they have warning posters on the wall to discourage the cutting up of the parcel shelf. I have never noticed them actually check it though.
smh00n
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by smh00n »

Sideways was an option but the saleskid was adamant that unless I put them all in boxes the sound would not be good. How good I asks; well you can't compare easily he says.

Some forums have subwoofers in the shelf and use the boot as an enclosure with good reports. Some have the speakers straight into the shelf like the ones pictured and again happy.
Just like cams, too many idea's and options.

I was thinking of mounting the 6x9 and a woofer in boxes, attached under the parcel shelf with holes enlarged to suit and then running that fabric over the top. Bit of stealth and I am doing what the professional saleskid is telling me is the go.
booah
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by booah »

I installed an Alpine system and mounted the 6X9s as per my pics, I built a subwoofer box as per the calcs off the internet, 6" rounds in the doors and cross-overs in the A pillars and the sound is as clear as a bell and stays that way as loud as I want to crank it.

Thats what I did with out the professional saleskid.
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

Seriously for your average install it does not matter.
Why not just install without boxes and see if you are happy? You can attach boxes later if you are ridiculed by the kids and it bothers you.

Boxes are a lot more work for f all gain for the majority of people.
smh00n
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by smh00n »

Booah that was exactly my first plan but the kid stuffed me up. What you have it what I want. Just one question - did you put the fronts into the door trim or use the factory holes at the bottom?

I'll go with plan A and then see how it sounds.
booah
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by booah »

I used the factory holes, and made an mount that includes the power window switch.

the door speaker from the top, it might be a 4" actually

It sits proud of the door cause there isn't much depth available in that location. I made the mounts then found an almost identical injection plastic mount at the stereo shop....doh.
booah
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by booah »

The sub set up and Amp, both in the boot. Big section cutout on the RH side is for the spare tyre to fit, it used to anyway.

smh00n
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by smh00n »

Aahh you have the fancy Mach 1. I only have the poverty pack and the trims come down to about 5" from the bottom of the door, meaning I can only get a 4x6 speaker in there without cutting. Luckily, Rockford Fosgate make such a beast, where Alpine only do a 4 or 6 split.

I have looked at the moulded mounts and could be an option for the rear shelf and the bottom of the speaker can hang through one of the holes.

Luckily beer choices are much easier.
smh00n
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by smh00n »

Well, I spoke to the salesman as opposed to saleskid today and surprise, surprise got a different opinion.

So anyway, I bought a Hertz set up (at the time I never thought of it, but do I now have a 1970 Hertz Mustang???) at a pretty good price. Supposedly this stuff has better mid-range clarity where Rockford Fosgate that I went to buy is good for Big Noise.

Had to laugh, they only put the $600+ speakers on the board for listening and don't really worry about the 'cheap' stuff.
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

I dont get the whole car stereo thing, must be getting too old. Just like I dont get 18" wheels on old cars.
Last edited by Shaunp on Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

Phew I have 17" wheels..... I was worried for a second.

Actually I agree - I have a stereo (simple 1 din style) but do not listen to it driving along.

I think 16" wheels look great but tyres are not so easy to get.
I will someday think of something clever to say.
Astro
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by Astro »

I got the hint - thats why I went to 15's :snigger:

Standing my ground on the colour tho...

Cheers

J
I love big birds - I cannot lie...
smh00n
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by smh00n »

My max wheel size is 15". Totally get the high heels on old cars, just looks like shiite.

I spent more on the stereo than intended as I do like to listen to music. It became a bit like engine parts choices; too many opinions and options and it got confusing.

Although, I probably should have spent the dollars on the commute-ute as chances are I won't want to drown out my first V8 in 25 years.
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

You old blokes and your 15" wheels :poke: