Moderator: Moderators

123abc
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Re: late engines

Post by 123abc »

does the manifold off a eb efi v8 go under or clear the strut brace on a 70
this also another reason to go with tbi
Last edited by 123abc on Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

I do not think it clears the standard or shelby strut braces - not sure specifically on the 70 model. I have seen people bend them to to clear but it does not look right. Others have dropped the rear mount to angle the engine down - bad idea in terms of tail shaft angle so do not do this. The obviously solution is to get a different style after market brace.
I will someday think of something clever to say.
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

boofhead wrote:I do not think it clears the standard or shelby strut braces - not sure specifically on the 70 model. I have seen people bend them to to clear but it does not look right. Others have dropped the rear mount to angle the engine down - bad idea in terms of tail shaft angle so do not do this. The obviously solution is to get a different style after market brace.
The basic engine bay layout from 67 - 70 is the same as only the top, where the fenders mounted, changed. This is the brace I made to fit a 90's Mustang 5.0 into a 68. Even with the tight bends, it actually was quite strong .........

Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
123abc
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by 123abc »

I guess tbi will be the way to go
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

I prefer 1 injector per intake valve. Yet still use a 4150 4 barrel throttle body or use an elbow to a 75mm (or larger) throttle body. My setup is similar to Hybrid's - looks good and is superior to the TBI (electric carbi). If yur looking for a kit then something like the Edelbrock Pro-flow 2 (although I wanted to try the Proflow XT) while if TBI was your preference then the E-street TBI. Now for me in all cases I would just get the hardware (intake, TB, injectors and rails) and add in an Megasquirt ECU -- but I like playing around more with the tune and setup. This is how Hybrid, Myself and Gbx78 have done it.
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

Agree with boof (obviously).
But I always have to remind myself that not everyone likes to tinker with this stuff. As hard as it is to get my head around that :lol:

So in some cases, Mega/Microsquirt is not a good option.
But if you want to set up and tune yourself, and potentially save some cash, it's a great option.
lukep6470
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by lukep6470 »

123abc wrote:does the manifold off a eb efi v8 go under or clear the strut brace on a 70
this also another reason to go with tbi
An eb probably would but they are very restrictive. I had a similar manifold fit under the bonnet of a Triumph Stag.

The explorer style manifolds on the AU are a lot higher (Queue me taking to said Stag bonnet with a hole saw) :-)
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

hybrid wrote: But I always have to remind myself that not everyone likes to tinker with this stuff. As hard as it is to get my head around that :lol:
I struggle with that concept as well.....

Luke also is using a Megasquirt on his home made fancy 8 stack intake system.

So you have alot of knowledgeable people around to provide help.
lukep6470
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by lukep6470 »

boofhead wrote:
hybrid wrote: But I always have to remind myself that not everyone likes to tinker with this stuff. As hard as it is to get my head around that :lol:
I struggle with that concept as well.....

Luke also is using a Megasquirt on his home made fancy 8 stack intake system.

So you have alot of knowledgeable people around to provide help.
Did you buy the T5 yoke off me? Did I show you my setup at the time?
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

No purchase from you. How our memory fades.

I visited you at your work one time to talk MS stuff and you showed me.
I then gave you a spider for your dart engine - you came to my place.
I have been to your place to go for a cruise - you had a few problems with the car so we went in my 65 Mustang.
I looked at the damage to the dart block to help point at what went wrong.

I am sure you remember now....maybe I am not living up to my online name ... hmmmm
Last edited by boofhead on Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lukep6470
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by lukep6470 »

Sorry Boof I was replying to abc123 as I am sure he's been to my place :-)

I know who you are :-)
Ausjacko
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Ausjacko »

Good find, thanks. Most seem pleased with this unit, simple to install, starts easily, self learns and the price is very competitive.
'68 J-code GT Fastback
'67 S-code GT coupe, 'Pink Bitz' formerly known as 'Hookin' up a brother'
'69 M_____ GTS Fastback 'Blasted'
Astro
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by Astro »

ozbilt wrote:
boofhead wrote:I do not think it clears the standard or shelby strut braces - not sure specifically on the 70 model. I have seen people bend them to to clear but it does not look right. Others have dropped the rear mount to angle the engine down - bad idea in terms of tail shaft angle so do not do this. The obviously solution is to get a different style after market brace.
The basic engine bay layout from 67 - 70 is the same as only the top, where the fenders mounted, changed. This is the brace I made to fit a 90's Mustang 5.0 into a 68. Even with the tight bends, it actually was quite strong .........

Is that an E car you were working on K :poke:

I like the snake pipework.

Cheers

J
I love big birds - I cannot lie...
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

Astroboy65 wrote:
ozbilt wrote:

Is that an E car you were working on K :poke:

I like the snake pipework.

Cheers

J
Nope, it was my old avatar, a 68 Shelby clone. 5.0, Paxton blower, 5 speed (Modern Driveline) & 3.25 limited slip 9". It is fast too ....... :smile:

Last edited by ozbilt on Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
123abc
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by 123abc »

yes luke that was me at your house 5spd went well with your yolk its coming out soon to get a rebuild now all the bugs are out.
hmmm plenty of choices then
another question then can I use the alternator off the donor car and maybe the power steer pump so I don't have to mess around with mating up pulleys im running fans already so plenty of space there and im already running a large amp alt with self contained volt reg