XP Falcon

Non-Mustang related Projects

Moderator: Moderators

ponyride
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Re: XP Falcon

Post by ponyride »

jbrucem1 wrote: Also, I need some opinions on the paint I will use, (specifically the type of white - sounds silly but much more difficult than it seems)..anyone have any good white colours (new or old) they recommend?
Will use local Du-Pont supplier
Jack
IMO an off white or cream looks really good in the older cars, way better than fridge or washing machine white. I'm sure the XPs came out in such a colour, sorry I don't have any codes to help. Maybe Wimbledon white from the Mustangs? Either that or Diamond white as per XWs, that has a very faint blue tinge to it.
Rick.

Old things amuse all minds.
jbrucem1
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by jbrucem1 »

yeh im feeling the same way ponyride..i would prefer something with a green tint than blue, but youre right, that bright white is too much on an old car..i may still go with the original colour - arctic white i think its called
scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by scott66stang »

That diamond white is a nice shade, i was gonna say pearl white because thats what it looks like , i had a XW ute that colour.

jbrucem1 msg sent. :thumbs:
soc123_au
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by soc123_au »

The original Arctic White would look good, or my next choice would be Sno White, Ford Australia colour from the late 70s to Mid 80s. The code is 9. It has a greenish yellow tone to it.
moe
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by moe »

soc123_au wrote:The original Arctic White would look good, or my next choice would be Sno White, Ford Australia colour from the late 70s to Mid 80s. The code is 9. It has a greenish yellow tone to it.
Never knew that - old man had an XE in Sno White, and I never picked the greenish yellow tone. I'm still learning something new every day :-D
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

scott66stang wrote:That diamond white is a nice shade, i was gonna say pearl white because thats what it looks like , i had a XW ute that colour.

jbrucem1 msg sent. :thumbs:
Don't know about other states, but all QLD cop car pack Falcons were Diamond white. front 1/4 glasses (prior to XD), rubber mats, ac, lsd, c4 auto
soc123_au
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by soc123_au »

There is 2 Diamond Whites, the early one has a definatle Blue Tone & the later one is just a clean bright white. Cant remember the codes off hand.

The Sno White just looks white, the tone isnt obvious like the early Diamond White. If you check a sample of the Sno White compared to Stark White (Code Z from XF) it becomes very apparent.
jbrucem1
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by jbrucem1 »

After some deep thought I think original Arctic white will be the way to go..
still need to work out upholstery - been looking at US sites with their upholstery kits, but yet to hear of any actual experience going this way..otherwise need a cheap upholsterer
jbrucem1
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by jbrucem1 »

Ok, inspired by Scott and Cage's and evryones project cars, thought i would chuck up some progress pics of the falcon..I know its not a Mustang, but still a ford

Hybrid, maybe this thread should be moved to projects or something of that manner...anyhow, pics to follow
soc123_au
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by soc123_au »

Look forward to seeing the pics. XP, Mustang all early Fords all good.
Dynamic
Living the Mustang Dream
Living the Mustang Dream

Post by Dynamic »

soc123_au wrote:Look forward to seeing the pics. XP, Mustang all early Fords all good.
yep i love the look of early model fords, in fact if I didn't get a mustang I think id consider doing one up
Pete
Mustang Project:
http://dynamicstang.blogspot.com
mwizz
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by mwizz »

Latest edition of Unique Cars (issue 320), page 93 says the Falcon XM/XP hardtop prices are still on the rise with resurgent buyer interest. Values given are $21,500 for cond 1, $14,500 for cond 2 and $6,000 for cond 3.

This is part of the Aussie price charts which gives a comparison of prices for quite a number of Aussie cars.
jbrucem1
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by jbrucem1 »

internet in Moama unbelievably slow..
anyhow basic rundown -

started pulling the car apart (nearly every single bolt on this car was super tight,never undone i think - 43,000 orig Ks by the looks of it), didnt find too many nasty suprises..rust in a few of the usual spots, corner of the LHS wheel well/sill the worst area..ordered new LHS floor pan and sills..

Took most of the paint off, and started fixing rust as best i could..I'll say now that this car in no show pony and there are numerous faults, we'll call it driver quality paint..

ended up making new bits of patch sheetmetal for the sills instead of replacing the whole thing (will need to be done eventually i think) - didnt end up looking too bad..

hardest bit was RHS rear lower qtr - i see you can buy replacement panel - definitely should have gone this route (lesson learnt)..

so...all rust gone and ground back, smeer and a bit of bog here and there and hi-fill primer..blocked that all back and layed on the paint..

Painting was a drama - too hot, too humid, too much of a hack spray painter..think i have hopefully seen the last of the spray gun for a while..

had a lot of orangfe peel in spots, and have given up getting it really good, but from the pictures - from 3 feet it looks really nice :-D

For the colour - its 1966 XP white - (arctic white was 65- only had a Litre mixed up anyway)..Polar white is the colour..

The paint scheme is going to run throughout the car..white, white dash and doors (will get pics) - Red/White vinyl in original colour pattern for seats and doors and..ozbilts favourite pepper grey!!had dupont Nason left over from the stang plus i really like the colour..dash fascia (pic) is already painted, as are tank and bonnet hinges..the small chrome bit that holds door panels in as well.

what an essay, enjoy
jbrucem1
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by jbrucem1 »

internet killing me - rest of photos incl. beforehands here -

http://s964.photobucket.com/albums/ae12 ... %20Falcon/
scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by scott66stang »

Great work Jack, that didnt take you long. I especially like how you have brought new life to that dash cluster, it looks very nice. :thumbs: