Total Control Products...ADR approved?

Technical Discussion on Pre-1973 Mustangs

Moderator: Moderators

Pinto-Pete
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: Total Control Products...ADR approved?

Post by Pinto-Pete »

Nuts wrote:
Pinto-Pete wrote:As far as lm aware boof the rule haven't changed as such merely enforced..
Pete, I'm running a Heidts 4 link rear and I think Derwin in Brissy is as well. My engineer didn't have an issue with it. Isn't Heidts now owned by TCP??
Was looking more at their front end, no idea who owns em nuts...
I'm Batman...

Crane Operator
Mammoet Australia
Rye Park Wind Farm
Pinto-Pete
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Pinto-Pete »

Dwayne wrote:Meanwhile, I'm over here in SA choosing which factory option colour to choose from because I'm not even allowed to use anything else 👎

Well sucks to be you.... :snigger:
I'm Batman...

Crane Operator
Mammoet Australia
Rye Park Wind Farm
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

Dwayne wrote:Meanwhile, I'm over here in SA choosing which factory option colour to choose from because I'm not even allowed to use anything else 👎
At least they have relaxed that, you used to have to stick with the original colour I believe.
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

Pinto-Pete wrote:
Nuts wrote:
Pinto-Pete wrote:As far as lm aware boof the rule haven't changed as such merely enforced..
Pete, I'm running a Heidts 4 link rear and I think Derwin in Brissy is as well. My engineer didn't have an issue with it. Isn't Heidts now owned by TCP??
Was looking more at their front end, no idea who owns em nuts...
I also believe Alton's own them.
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
shan75
Baby Mustang
Baby Mustang

Post by shan75 »

Hi all,

Thought I would provide an update....

So...decided to roll the dice and apply for a import approval. Cost $50, but I thought it worthwhile - simply as an exercise to see what would be acceptable for import approval.

I sent them pictures and all the relevant web links for the PDF tech specs for ALL the modifications. So that is: TCP Steering box, TCP sub-frame connector, TCP rear coil-over suspension (which includes the fabricated diff housing), TCP front coil-over kit - the lot.

They approved it. Only took them 4 days. Maybe they were busy coming into christmas and ignored my attachments? Maybe they were in a good mood? Maybe the chrissy spirit? Whatever it was, they did not bat an eyelid.

Sooooo.....

Now I just want to speak with an engineer here in VIC. Make sure I understand what will be involved to get this on the road - and of course - the costs.

Can someone please provide some names? Would obviously prefer an engineer who has seen and approved the TCP products already.

Thanks,
Shanan
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

Good stuff. So will the import approval detail the mods? This will be interesting.
You can get a list of engineers and ring a few. Expect the cost to be any where up to 2k - 2.5k.
I will someday think of something clever to say.
Nuts
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Nuts »

Good result Shanan.
My Motto - Don't get Caught! If you do, Blame Someone Else!

MUSTANG - Fantastic Not Plastic
shan75
Baby Mustang
Baby Mustang

Post by shan75 »

Hi All,

Thought I would revive my thread. As an update....

I took the advice of those more experienced here and made sure I applied for import approval BEFORE acquiring the modified car.
So I applied for import approval for the 1967 Mustang Fastback GTA S-Code I was looking at in the USA.

I provided the department with ALL the details, photos, PDF's, install documents for the Total Control Products installed. So that is front coil over, rack and pinion steering as well as G-Bar Rear package with fabricated diff housing. So ALL of these were highlighted, shown in photo's and documented. I even mentioned the car had Wilwood brakes.

Import approval was provided. So not sure if I got someone on a good day, but yeah - got the green light. There is no way they can knock it back when it arrives because I was totally transparent, honest and I clearly documented everything.

So in the coming weeks the car will be put on the boat and will be on the way here to me. Happy Chappy.

I got some great advice previously on this forum regarding TCP products and was advised that there are already guys out there running the gear legally (after engineering) on Aussie roads.

Has anyone here worked with an engineer here in VIC with getting approvals Total Control Gear? I want to deal with an engineer who preferably has seen and approved of TCP products before - will make it easier for all if that is the case.

I have also been reading other general forum posts on google that adjustable coil overs will NOT be approved for roadworthy in VIC (which goes against other advice I was getting in this forum). So I am getting a little concerned.

So my question is two-fold:
1. Anyone recommend an engineer that has experience with classics and preferably TCP products.
2. Any comments on RWC for adjustable coil overs in VIC?

Cheers,
Shanan
Last edited by shan75 on Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

I cannot talk for VIC but i is likely the same there as any where.
It is up to the engineer. You get approval from and engineer then there is no issue with rego. In other words they have passed off this who area of modifications to the approved engineers. just have to find one that will go with it. Keep looking until you do.
Husky65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Husky65 »

In my old skylines I had no dramas getting rwc's with coilovers, as long as it was high enough. May have changed since, and I'm sure it differs from shop to shop. If you get it engineered then you won't have any dramas.
shan75
Baby Mustang
Baby Mustang

Post by shan75 »

Yeah - I think the rules were updated over last couple of years. Pretty recent.

Other forum guys are talking about "adjustable" coilovers being a big "no no" now with the RTA/Vicroads. Maybe an engineer can over-ride that as you guys say, but I was getting the impression that maybe that coil-overs with adjustable spring perches were not legal - period.

I'll find out I suppose.

Could always weld the adjustment piece, but would be gutted to lose all the adjustment.

I'll try to call around - get some feedback elsewhere as well.

Cheers.
cage
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by cage »

I am in NSW so not exactly what you are after but I just got my car fully engineered and it has all the TCP gear, willwood gear RHD rack and pinion etc etc. Absolutely no problem and I had a seriously picking engineer where I had to go back two times to get everything ticked. The TCP gear was ticked off without a hiccup.

I don't believe you need to worry about an engineer that knows TCP specifically to be honest, there really is not that much to it and any engineer worth their salt will know what they are looking at.

If you are set on an engineer that has already passed a mustang with the TCP gear in Vic I would suggest that you try the MOCA forum as there are a lot of VIC guys on that forum, not as many Mexican's over here. :outtahere:
Last edited by cage on Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

Cage your a Mexican to some.
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

Recommending the MOCA forum is an instant banning.

Oh wait... no, I've got that arse about. Carry on gentlemen :snigger:
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

LOL