Motorcraft Electronic dizzy and MSD Coil questions

Technical Discussion on Pre-1973 Mustangs

Moderator: Moderators

Edz66Vert
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Re: Motorcraft Electronic dizzy and MSD Coil questions

Post by Edz66Vert »

Ok, dissy problem. The ford one I have measures 0.509. Rocket and Summit only list steel gears in 0.487, 0.500, 0.530, 0.531? So I need a 12.93 mm and can buy a 13.46 with 0.5 mm slop or drill a 0.5 with a 13 mm drill and probably end up with 0.2 mm slop? Is 0.5 too much or would you just not worry and hope the split pin takes up the slack?
Checkout my car builds - edzv8s.com
66 Convertible Bench Seat AODE 3.5 9"
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

How do you know you need a steel gear?
I will someday think of something clever to say.
Edz66Vert
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Edz66Vert »

boofhead wrote:How do you know you need a steel gear?
Sorry Boofhead, I just re-checked the PM I sent you about the composite or steel gear and you did tell me to use the standard iron gear (but to check with the engine supplier), I was getting confused with all the parts I had to buy. $$$$$
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

No problem.

----------
For those reading - lots of views on this one. Basically my view;
Like for like materials
- Iron/SADI core = Iron gear (comp cams -8 prefix )
- steel billet = Steel gear (comp cams -9 prefix )
If your not sure
- use a composite gear

I would not use a bronze gear on a street engine.
----------

If your dealing with warrantee considerations then use what they recommend and keep a copy of what they tell you.
Last edited by boofhead on Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
I will someday think of something clever to say.
Edz66Vert
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Edz66Vert »

boofhead wrote:No problem.

----------
For those reading - lots of views on this one. Basically my view;
Like for like materials
- Iron/SADI core = Iron gear (comp cams -8 prefix )
- steel billet = Steel gear (comp cams -9 prefix )
If your not sure
- use a composite gear

I would not use a bronze gear on a street engine.
----------

If your dealing with warrantee considerations then use what they recommend and keep a copy of what they tell you.
Hopefully the supplier will get back to me this time, they didn't answer my email last time!

I'll check the voltage feed to the coil on the weekend but I found out the Petronix I runs on 8-16 volts which explains why it's probably working, The only thing I did notice on occasions was it wouldn't fire straight up on cranking but as soon as I let the key go it would fire. Probably a low voltage thing, msd coil definitely has 'use with resistor on it' as do the other 2 nice coils I have lying around. Be interesting to see what voltage it is getting.
Edz66Vert
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Edz66Vert »

So I bought a $70 Chinese 351w distributor from fleebay to give away with my old motor that was listed to fit a 289/302/351 W. When I sat it next to my 351W Motorcraft the shaft was thinner so I checked it. My research on ebay found 221 - 302's use the same size shaft and gear but 351 W and 5 litre (302 roller) use a different one.

This is the message I sent to the seller:

"I am returning this item because it does not fit s 351W even though your listing says it does. You list this item as a Ford Windsor V8 289-302-351 Pro Comp Distributor SBF however it doesn't fit my 351 Ford Windsor. Before I fit anything I measure it and compare it to my existing parts. My existing distributor is a genuine Ford Motorcraft 351W distributor and yours doesn't match it. My research from the Ford forums says it is a 351W distributor in body and drive gear diameter but the shaft is 302W. Note the 5 litre W (302 efi hydraulic roller motor) uses the same distributor as the 351W. Your aluminium body will go in but the shaft won’t fit over the oil pump drive as it’s nearly 3 mm too small! Also, they call yours a 12 mm shaft and mine a 13 mm shaft. Your distributor will damage my cam and destroy my motor because the shaft will move sideways under load from the cam and slip against the teeth, you need to list the shaft size in your add so people can check before purchase.

This distributor would work in a 302W (but not the EFI 5 Litre 302)

These are the measurements of your new one compared to my genuine Ford Distributor.
New = Yours, 351W = mine, all measurements in mm

Old 1st (351W) – New 2nd (Your new one)

351W New one
39.52 37.94 Case dia near O’ring
31.53 31.25 Cam Drive Gear dia
13.23 11.41 Bottom Shaft dia
8.80 5.94 Oil Pump hole drive

This is one of many sites I found - http://my.cardone.com/techdocs/PT%2030-0006.pdf

This was from another one:
68-82 small block 289-302/5.0l has a distributor shaft diameter of 0.467", gear is 1.249".

83-present small block 5.0/ all 351w uses a 0.531" shaft, same 1.249 gear. The very end of the distributor shaft will be stepped down to fit into the hole in the block which has been the same size for the entire run of 302s. You will be fine with the 85 distributor.
the tfi dist shaft,from 87-97 is different from the 72-86 351. You need a stock piece or cut down the aftermarket oil shaft.

302 is 0.254" (6.45mm) ¼”, 351 8mm 5/16”

The case of the 351 dissy is bigger to fit in a bigger hole in the block. It would be impossible to put it in a 302/5.0 block. A 302 dist would be very loose in a 351.

Here in OZ there is a difference in the 302 distributors and blocks for early and late clevos. One has a smaller(about .040") indexing spigot at the base of the shaft which will fit the other but will allow the shaft to wander and screw the block bore,the other way it just won't fit in as the spigot is larger.Both distributor holes in the blocks are the same though."
Edz66Vert
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Edz66Vert »

So now that I'm a bit more knowledgeable about 289/302/351W I apologised to the lady that sold me the dissy. I bought hers after watching a couple of them and didn't read the add properly, she actually said in the add to let her know what motor it was for. She's great as she's posting me out the bigger shaft for the 351W for free and I just have to swap it over. Good after sales service, second helpful ebayer I've had this week. The other was a Chinaman that I bought security cameras off who logged into my computer and setup some wireless cameras up while showing me how to do it.
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

Which cameras did you go for?
I've set up a camera monitoring system on my server at home - just haven't bought any cameras yet.
Dwayne
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Dwayne »

Edz66Vert wrote:The other was a Chinaman that I bought security cameras off who logged into my computer and setup some wireless cameras up while showing me how to do it.
Gogglebox Beijing - now featuring Edz ?
Astro
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by Astro »

Edz66Vert wrote:So now that I'm a bit more knowledgeable about 289/302/351W I apologised to the lady that sold me the dissy. I bought hers after watching a couple of them and didn't read the add properly, she actually said in the add to let her know what motor it was for. She's great as she's posting me out the bigger shaft for the 351W for free and I just have to swap it over. Good after sales service, second helpful ebayer I've had this week. The other was a Chinaman that I bought security cameras off who logged into my computer and setup some wireless cameras up while showing me how to do it.
Sure he's logged out and not left a backdoor :bash:

Cheers

J
I love big birds - I cannot lie...
Edz66Vert
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Edz66Vert »

Bought 2 x Wireless Wifi Network IP Camera HD 1080P 2.0MP IR Audio I/O P2P ONVIF Waterproof on ebay, $69, wireless, hardwire network and direct video connection, and yes Dwayne, someone could hack them and watch my camera feed but nor really worried about that. Support was great, now just need to contact him again as the computer in the garage can't find them even though they were picked up on the laptop inside, want to use it to monitor them 24/7 and email any movement to me at work. I only work 4 minutes away so i can drop home quickly.
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

Let us know how you go with them. I'm keen to do the same.
Have already set up DVR software on my server here (ZoneMinder) ... just don't have any cameras yet :lol:
Edz66Vert
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Edz66Vert »

Quality from the Camera is great, very high res compared to all my 10 year old 'professional security cameras'. Just go to contact the guy and get them working on the software in the garage.

I'll post some footage of the quality day and night by connecting them to the laptop. Haven't played with area alarms yet but the software that came with them has it the same as my previous camera's did. I could also direct connect them as I have a dvr box and the old pc with the 4 port security camera video card, just prefer to use the new software and wireless setup because then I can check them from anywhere in the world.
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

I've heard wireless is pretty unreliable for the cameras. So I was going to look at using Ethernet over Power with mine.
Will be interesting to see your results though. How far will the camera be from your access point? Through walls etc?
Pinto-Pete
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Pinto-Pete »

Astro wrote:Keep saving the world one Robin at a time, Batman...

Missed this, you promised not to show this, it was just for us you said,.....bitch, fibberer....
I'm Batman...

Crane Operator
Mammoet Australia
Rye Park Wind Farm