replacing ac

Technical Discussion on Pre-1973 Mustangs

Moderator: Moderators

123abc
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Re: replacing ac

Post by 123abc »

MY vintage air kit is due to arrive any day now so I managed to get a copy of the instuctions in it it says to substitute the binary safety switch to a trinary switch if using thermo fans ,my question is can I just put a small fan on the front of the condenser so it comes on when the aircon is used or do I need to put at trinary switch in
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

It should be fine to have a fan that engages along with the compressor.
lukep6470
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by lukep6470 »

yes I just switching on the regular thermo fan with the AC is all you need. Make sure the condenser is as close to the radiator as possible.
123abc
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by 123abc »

I do have a big fg fan behind the rad as per my other thread (overheating at lights) so yeah it will only need to keep temp down till the other one comes on or car is moving
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

You could just have the AC turn on the big fan if it's not already on.
Chances are on a day you're wanting the aircon instead of having the window open, you will probably need the cooling fan too.
123abc
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by 123abc »

the big fan is on a thermo control so im hoping a little one should do in between cutting in and out
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

123abc wrote:the big fan is on a thermo control so im hoping a little one should do in between cutting in and out
What the boys are saying is by having the big fan also triggered by the A/C clutch, is the fan would be drawing air through the rad long before the temps rise. Having a fan cut in after it is hot (thermo controlled) can be too late on a hot day to bring it back to the normal range.
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
lukep6470
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by lukep6470 »

Yes don't bother with an AC fan, just have the big fan come on with the compressor. Just a wire from the compressor relay to the fan relay.

I was looking at putting in an AC fan and the AC place that did the lines said don't bother and showed how the condenser temp dropped dramatically with just the big fan.
123abc
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by 123abc »

hybrid im running the same fan as you, if I wire in the compressor to the slow speed port to be on when the compressors on will it short if the high speed fan is triggered by the rad thermo switch
123abc
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by 123abc »

I came up with this 1/2 speed port on fan controlled by compressor on a fused relay,
which will operate the change over relay for full fan speed controlled by thermo switch if temp needs it,
so basically when the compressor is on fan is at 1/2 speed
if temp rises in motor it will switch to full fan.
if ac is off the temp side of thing will run as normal on full
im just trying to utilize what I have without adding another fan and I already have 2 realays there
Last edited by 123abc on Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

See how the aircon goes.
You may have to switch to running the fan on full for the aircon too.
I think that's the way I'm going to switch because my liquid line (high pressure line) was still a bit too warm coming out of the condensor for my liking.
123abc
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by 123abc »

just started to install my new vintage air ac , assembly on the unit (the plumbing side of things ) was easy and it all fitted ,then I did the micro switches to convert my controls again easy just followed the instructions and they were straight forward first impressions good quality and bagged well so the parts you need are in the right bag when you need it , so se how the rest goes on the weekend update then.

hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

Looks like a nice unit.
123abc
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by 123abc »

I will keep the thread going for others who are going to do this I am impressed with it so far everything seems to boxed in stages with the details for each stage in the proper box
123abc
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by 123abc »

today I made up the condenser and drier and installed both with the plumbing , all fitted well except for the bolts holding it in when the radiator was in they were touching the core so cup head allen keys were used ground down a bit no worries now again it all fits well and easy to install. There is also enough room in front of the core to install a 12"fan if needed .

Last edited by 123abc on Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.