How to tell V8 spindles - need better discs & calipers

Technical Discussion on Pre-1973 Mustangs

Moderator: Moderators

Edz66Vert
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Re: How to tell V8 spindles - need better discs & calipers

Post by Edz66Vert »

Waiting for CRS tech support to confirm what the spindles are from the photos I sent them. I'll also have a go with paper and pencil to see if I can get the numbers off before ordering any spindles.

Finally worked out that my current discs are Fairlane discs because I measured them and went through the DBA Catalogue; they are 74 mm OA not 115 thick like XF.

I measured the stub axle bearing sizes and they are 31.6 and 19 internal. External 44.9 to suit the Fairlane disc and wheel spigot is 70 mm.

Do the tie rod ends look like V8 ones as I need to find out were I can get new ones as they are worn? The ball joint measured 11 mm - 7/16" and the male thread into the drag link measured 17.38 mm (0.684" or around 11/16")?
Last edited by Edz66Vert on Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Checkout my car builds - edzv8s.com
66 Convertible Bench Seat AODE 3.5 9"
Husky65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Husky65 »

boofhead wrote:Husky - I liked your set up when I saw it. The issue is UPC they just do not show on the web site what is available so I had no idea what they do and what is an option. Good link to the hubs - great that you have helped them and us.
Yeah I know, if they invested in better advertising of their products to various car clubs and events I bet they would make a lot more sales. I don't think they made a good name for themselves in regards to customer service either earlier on in the piece which may still be hurting them.
I remember seeing an add for the business when it went up for sale a few years ago, they actually have a decent setup and machine their products in house.
Edz66Vert
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Edz66Vert »

I took a pic of the passenger side stub axle tonight after i cleaned it with the wire brush, no better than the drivers side (LHD). I'll have to have a go tomorrow with a wire wheel to see if that improves it, the pencil and paper trick didn't work.

The discs have seen better days which explains some of the bad braking.

Can anyone measure a V8 and I6 stub bearing to compare to mine please or are they the same bearing?

When I first ran the number (6T08BC138752) taken from the rego and insurance papers the vin site I found had trouble. I checked the number on the inner guard and door and they had added a B that didn't exist from what I can see. I'll have to sort that next rego. It also has the rarer bench seat.

The guy I bought it from said it was a 6 cylinder car but it seems it's a C Code car so 289 V8 so the stubs should be V8?
Mine also has the rarer bench seat option.
Last edited by Edz66Vert on Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:02 am, edited 3 times in total.
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

If it has Falcon discs they are V8 ones and the car is a C code. The brakes on your car are Mustang of Melbourne kit Falcon rotors and Holden calipers. The calipers look like XF but Holden also used them on WB statesmans etc
Edz66Vert
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Edz66Vert »

Thanks Shaun, good to know where the kit came from.

Definitely Fairlane discs rather than Falcon, took me 10 minutes of looking in the dba catalogue to work that out from the dimensions, they are 41 mm narrower than Falcon. When I re-looked at the bracket in one of the pictures you can actually see Holden written on it and the pads were Bendix DB1085 when I pulled them off yesterday so VB Commondore.

Now I know they are V8 stubs I can order the hubs from UPC.

Do you know if I can just buy tie rod ends from Repco from the measurements I gave, I need new ones and while I'm doing brakes I may as well replace them (and probably the ball joints) - The ball joint measured 11 mm - 7/16" and the male thread into the drag link measured 17.38 mm (0.684" or around 11/16")?
Dwayne
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Dwayne »

I have a set of 65-66 V8 spindles here at home, but no verniers to measure them with.

I'll take them with me to work tomorrow and get some measurements unless someone else answers before me. I remember mine are just standard A-type bearings though, so you should be able to source them very easily.
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

Burson normally have mustang tie rods
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

Dwayne wrote:I have a set of 65-66 V8 spindles here at home, but no verniers to measure them with.

I'll take them with me to work tomorrow and get some measurements unless someone else answers before me. I remember mine are just standard A-type bearings though, so you should be able to source them very easily.
I have the verniers and one stub but it is still complete so will not get pulled apart until Sunday. Other option is to meet Dwayne at Nullarbor, not very practical though.
Dwayne
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Dwayne »

I'll be able to get the measurements for you tomorrow morning. I now have a bare stub axle sitting on my work bag ... so I don't forget it.

In the unlikely event you still had the weak 6 cylinder ones ... definitely replace them.
Edz66Vert
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Edz66Vert »

Dwayne wrote:I'll be able to get the measurements for you tomorrow morning. I now have a bare stub axle sitting on my work bag ... so I don't forget it.

In the unlikely event you still had the weak 6 cylinder ones ... definitely replace them.
Thanks for the suggestion Nassi, but the Nullarbor is a long way from here!

Thanks Dwayne, I'll wait until you let me know the sizes so I can compare them before ordering. Be nice to confirm before ordering. I cleaned up the numbers on the guard and the door and the numbers match so unless they swapped the guard and the door off another vehicle it's definitely a V8 car.

One other thing, does anyone in Canberra have a V8 stub axle I can borrow for a month? I'd like to get onto my brake upgrade next week and it's easier to mock it up off the car. I know a guy up the road who has some V8 stubs that he is selling (complete with factory discs) and he's happy to lend me one but he's overseas until the end of the month. If mine turn out to be 6 cylinder ones I'll buy his.
Last edited by Edz66Vert on Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dwayne
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Dwayne »

From the brake mounting surface outwards:

49.16mm
31.70mm
19mm (just before the thread)
Edz66Vert
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Edz66Vert »

Dwayne wrote:From the brake mounting surface outwards:

49.16mm
31.70mm
19mm (just before the thread)
Cool, same as mine so they must be V8. The only reason I thought they may be off a 6 was because the guy I bought the car off said it was a 6 cylinder car because the vin had a BC in it when the B does not actually exist, rego just wrote it down wrong. I'll fix it when I re-register the car (but that may be a drama!).
Dwayne
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Dwayne »

Do your import papers also have a B, or it just the rego papers?
Dwayne
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Dwayne »

There's a guy on facestalk selling a new UPC kit for $650 if that's what your after:

Facebook - XK XL XM XP Fords for sale
Edz66Vert
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Edz66Vert »

Dwayne wrote:Do your import papers also have a B, or it just the rego papers?
No import papers, has a plate in the engine bay from Qld when imported, I'll check the number engraved on that.