Years in the making....

Create your project threads here if you prefer to keep them out of the regular forums

Moderator: Moderators

MNT67
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Re: Years in the making....

Post by MNT67 »

It Has one sitting on the side, they are a good engine with plenty of power, plus a hell of a lot cheaper than a coyote
66STNG
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by 66STNG »

Yes, and coyotes malt their coats in winter. Leaves hair everywhere.?
66 basket case
Husky65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Husky65 »

oh awesome. I've seen another ford 6 turbo mustang and it flies. They make huge hp very cheap. What trans are you going to use?
MNT67
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by MNT67 »

I will be using the BTR, I have built a few days n the past that have held up to reasonable power, plus it will cost me a lot less to rebuild than a ZF
MNT67
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by MNT67 »

A little more progress tonight, have the passenger floor fully welded in just need to grind down some welds. Spent a bit of time cleaning up the boot hinge brackets before welding them back on, I decided to put in a little extra support bracing because the original ones broke off.

I have run into a bit of a problem though, I'm not quite sure how to get the deck panel height right, the boot hinges support it so I will have to get the height right before welding them in. I was thinking about using the new quarters although being new quarters they dont fit perfectly straight off the bat. Has anyone run into this problem or have a good way of getting around it?

Also bought a new toy today

Last edited by MNT67 on Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pinto-Pete
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Pinto-Pete »

MNT67 wrote:It Has one sitting on the side, they are a good engine with plenty of power, plus a hell of a lot cheaper than a coyote
yep my bad, didn't look hard enough and you are right they are a good motor and for their time were a good thing, wish I still had mine....
I'm Batman...

Crane Operator
Mammoet Australia
Rye Park Wind Farm
MNT67
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by MNT67 »

Does anyone happen to have a 67 or 68 convertible they could take a measurement for me?
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

I learned all this stuff when doing mine (too late in many cases like you), but the boot lid mounts should have been sorted when the original quarters were still in place so you had original metal to reference.
You can still "git 'er done", but it will take quite a bit more stuffing about.

Ozbilt is overseas at the moment, but he will be able to guide you for sure. You may be able to hold in place with tek screws for now while you line everything up.
I think you're going to have to get the new quarters, doors, tail light panel etc on (perhaps also held with screws or clamps) to get the whole lot of the alignment right before welding.
Last edited by hybrid on Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
MNT67
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by MNT67 »

Yep lesson learnt from that one. Might try the tek screw idea. Do all 67 run the same boot and hinges?

Have people found new quarters are generally out towards the rear where they meet up to the tail light panel? I have seen a few YouTube clips of people having to cut the rear section down to fit. This seems to be the area where mine are not fitting right.
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

hybrid wrote:I learned all this stuff when doing mine (too late in many cases like you), but the boot lid mounts should have been sorted when the original quarters were still in place so you had original metal to reference.
You can still "git 'er done", but it will take quite a bit more stuffing about.

Ozbilt is overseas at the moment, but he will be able to guide you for sure. You may be able to hold in place with tek screws for now while you line everything up.
I think you're going to have to get the new quarters, doors, tail light panel etc on (perhaps also held with screws or clamps) to get the whole lot of the alignment right before welding.
Spot on advice Jeff. Seems you have been paying attention :snigger:
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

Givea call next week (Tuesday to Friday) as I will be home for that time before I leave for CA.

PM me for my number.
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
MNT67
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by MNT67 »

Well with the rear quarters giving me trouble I decided to take a break from the rear until I speak with Kerry and focus on getting the new front end in

boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

Are you going Mustang II front? Which one?
Last edited by boofhead on Mon May 01, 2017 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I will someday think of something clever to say.
cage
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by cage »

MNT67 wrote:I will be using the BTR, I have built a few days n the past that have held up to reasonable power, plus it will cost me a lot less to rebuild than a ZF
Noooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!! That 6 speed sequential ZF is the the nicest box I have ever driven. Spend the extra cash please. It will be worth every cent IMO.

Welcome to the forum and great project.
"The simple answer is, even if I have decided I still don't know what to do."
MNT67
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by MNT67 »

I bought a corner killer kit although using the brakes from the BA. I have seen mixed reviews with the kits and after receiving the kit I am having upper control arms made which is an area that could do with some improvement.

I agree the ZF is a nice box although it is quite a bit larger and for simplicity will stick with the BTR. Being a trans mechanic, the 4 spd is much easier to build ?