New Heart for Scarlet

Create your project threads here if you prefer to keep them out of the regular forums

Moderator: Moderators

gbx78
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: New Heart for Scarlet

Post by gbx78 »

Ausjacko wrote:you still need to sell me those wheels you know.

Looking forward to the GBX-v-Hybrid WSID Day!
Cheers
Jacko
hmmm we should talk next year :D
xpconnor wrote:Will this one come in under $500 like the 302 did or maybe just a tad more? :snigger:
Ohh you're confusing me with cage. add an extra 0 for the 302 and alot more for the 363 hehe
Last edited by gbx78 on Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
'You can never test fire too many times.' - Hybrid

'You can never have too many gauges' -
Boofhead
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

what is the next bit your saving for?
I will someday think of something clever to say.
gbx78
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by gbx78 »

boofhead wrote:what is the next bit your saving for?
Hey boof.. stroker kit!

Already had some lengthy chats with Woody and Nicole from ford strokers in the usa and he has developed me a kit with RPM internally balanced crank (Woody mentioned the RPM is hands down the best import crank that is currently available. It has the best journal sizing and finish. It also will balance internally without any heavy metal and will surpass my builds requirements easily), RPM H beam rod with an arp2000 rod bolt and his wiseco flat top piston. He mentioned these are by far the best parts for my setup and purpose.The next best parts would dictate alot more money because they would be made in USA ( crank and rod), which again he said i certainly do not need for my application .

Once it comes ill get some pics up and go over the parts.

Trying to sell some high end guitar gear but it appears musos are poorer than mustang owners. :D

Boofhead
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

Had look at his web site I see the RPM crank is 250 less than a Scat ? Looks like he sells RPM , Scat & Callies

I managed to get H beam Scat rods with arp 2000 bolts on VPW 20% sale, got a Scat Crank from Outlaw speed shop in Adelaide for $1060 delivered, Also got Wiseco pistons but from Skip White in the US he has them custom made with 8.5cc dish which gives me the compression I want, $650 US shipped.
Last edited by Shaunp on Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:21 am, edited 5 times in total.
gbx78
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by gbx78 »

Shaunp wrote:Had look at his web site I see the RPM crank is 250 less than a Scat ? Looks like he sells RPM , Scat & Callies

I managed to get H beam Scat rods with arp 2000 bolts on VPW 20% sale, got a Scat Crank from Outlaw speed shop in Adelaide for $1060 delivered, Also got Wiseco pistons but from Skip White in the US he has them custom made with 8.5cc dish which gives me the compression I want, $650 US shipped.
Yeah good sales on and im sure some more to come with pre and post xmas. Im not ready for the stroker kit yet so i will reevaluate when funds permit.

Boofhead
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

Outlaw speed shop was the cheapest crank I could find in a 4340 Scat , couldn't get one from the US any cheaper, in fact it was more expensive. SRP do a flat top piston if thats what you want, they are about $700 au from summit
Last edited by Shaunp on Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
gbx78
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by gbx78 »

Shaunp wrote:Outlaw speed shop was the cheapest crank I could find in a 4340 Scat , couldn't get one from the US any cheaper, in fact it was more expensive. SRP do a flat top piston if thats what you want, they are about $700 au from summit
Yeah cool. I was quoted much less than the advertised price on his website and included balancing. I think it might come out similar to a price locally here for scat stuff without balancing. Still a while off from that. But thats really all im waiting on at this point... im this close to using my block as a pot plant holder :D

Boofhead
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

gbx78 wrote:
Shaunp wrote:Outlaw speed shop was the cheapest crank I could find in a 4340 Scat , couldn't get one from the US any cheaper, in fact it was more expensive. SRP do a flat top piston if thats what you want, they are about $700 au from summit
Yeah cool. I was quoted much less than the advertised price on his website and included balancing. I think it might come out similar to a price locally here for scat stuff without balancing. Still a while off from that. But thats really all im waiting on at this point... im this close to using my block as a pot plant holder :D
Balancing is around $350 -400 if you dont need Mallory metal
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

Both SP and Gbx engines in short block form are near enough identical. What is interesting to me is they are going toward two different build philosophy.
SP will run his AFR195 heads so large cam duration required while Gbx will run much larger heads so cam is smaller.
Both in NA form could produce similar power but the compromises are different as are the dangers.
I am looking forward to more parts being revealed so we can discuss it.
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

boofhead wrote:Both SP and Gbx engines in short block form are near enough identical. What is interesting to me is they are going toward two different build philosophy.
SP will run his AFR195 heads so large cam duration required while Gbx will run much larger heads so cam is smaller.
Both in NA form could produce similar power but the compromises are different as are the dangers.

Any tips or pitfalls you can forecast?
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

nassi wrote:
boofhead wrote:Both SP and Gbx engines in short block form are near enough identical. What is interesting to me is they are going toward two different build philosophy.

Any tips or pitfalls you can forecast?
Haven't really decided on the final combo yet, I'll either go for pretty large HR cam, but Ian Woodward is suggesting a Solid roller that he has a lot of experience with, albeit ground on tighter lobe centers then I would use it has a rev range of 3800-7400 with a 106 lobe center. I'll be running just under 11:1 compression with the ITB's and mega squirt 3 ECU. Ian has some item's I can get at the right price, should I go down the solid roller path, that have done few laps in race cars. At this point I've collected most of the bottom end. Ive decided I'll run the 347 in the car and see how it goes, this will ultimately determine my final direction ie how much more power do I want and how much higher into the rev range do I want to put it. A windsor sounds pretty good at 7k, they run the 351 T/A cars to 7 and the 302's to 7500.
Last edited by Shaunp on Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:35 am, edited 4 times in total.
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

[quote="nassi"][quote="boofhead"]Both SP and Gbx engines in short block form are near enough identical. What is interesting to me is they are going toward two different build philosophy.
I am looking forward to more parts being revealed so we can discuss it.[/quote]

Any tips or pitfalls you can forecast?[/quote]

Going to extremes is bad in both cases.
1 Big head small cam.
The danger is at low rpm air speed is to slow for efficient running. Using a smaller cam helps to provide a restriction point in the port where higher speed air passes. So lobe profile modulates the flow. if it ripped open the valve then little momentum would be present during overlap so efficiency and power would be down.
Advantage is more streetable but wide range of pwer possibe. Cam does not need much overlap resulting in wider centers hence reasonable vacuum at idle. Lastly big head allows more room to grow.
2 Small head big cam - old school.
The danger is ports chocking well before the cam sweet spot is reached. Big cam has long durations and lots of overlap hence tight centers. The overlap is used to pull more air as the heads are the restriction. What can happen is little low end power as a consequence of the large overlap and little power up top because not enough air flow due to port chock. This would be a dog of an engine.

So a little bit larger is fine or a little smaller fine just do not go to extreme.
Note; a head that is to big can also be to small it depends on your RPM target.
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

As you say, it is going to be very interesting following the builds.
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

I haven't ruled out bigger heads yet. The TA cars run a 190cc head but they permitted to match port them and bowl blend the to 200 cc I think, with an rpm limit on the 351 of 7000 and 302 of 7500. See what the 347 does first and go from there is my plan. My original idea of a Dart was actually not to try and make heaps of power but more to make reliable power that you can hurt. But scope creep soon raises its head.
Last edited by Shaunp on Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

Scope creep indeed;
1 Neat Carbi 289 roller cam and AFR165 heads......
2 Great EFI 347 with custom roller cam and AFR195 heads.....
3 Beafy 363 with solid roller and undecided heads......
All while the Mustang was slowly being built

I have enjoyed it becauses each build has been fun to discuss ideas and seeing them come together. Ignore scope creap . How about a 438 windsor next :burnout: