347 Burning coolant (As in steam train amounts)

Need help on paint, paint prep, welding, engines etc?

Moderator: Moderators

Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: 347 Burning coolant (As in steam train amounts)

Post by Shaunp »

so what do the spark plugs look like? are they all wet or just some.
lukep6470
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by lukep6470 »

Hi,

The spark plugs are really dark as the steam is going everywhere once it starts.

So the cooling system pressure tester finally showed up. Basically a hand pump with a pressure gauge and a bunch of different sized radiator caps.

The f$%king system is holding pressure like a champ. I pumped it up to 18psi and it has been sitting at that for the last hour!!!! It hasn't even move 1/2 a psi. I will give it 1/2 a day and see how it goes.
Dwayne
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Dwayne »

Does the pressure drop if you start the car?
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

lukep6470 wrote:Hi,

The spark plugs are really dark as the steam is going everywhere once it starts.

So the cooling system pressure tester finally showed up. Basically a hand pump with a pressure gauge and a bunch of different sized radiator caps.

The f$%king system is holding pressure like a champ. I pumped it up to 18psi and it has been sitting at that for the last hour!!!! It hasn't even move 1/2 a psi. I will give it 1/2 a day and see how it goes.
So something is moving once it warms up by the sounds of it.
As Dwayne has suggested, you could start it (maybe remove the water pump belt so it doesn't run dry) to get the temp up and see if it still holds.
lukep6470
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by lukep6470 »

I'll need to change the oil and filter first before another start attempt. I am thinking to put the spark plugs back in and hand crank it to see if anything gets sucked into a cylinder
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

Stop dicking around and just pull intake and heads off, it will be apparent whats wrong, if not go get the heads pressure tested.
Last edited by Shaunp on Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

He's already had the heads off.
lukep6470
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by lukep6470 »

yep, $200 worth of New Felpro head gaskets so I want to be sure which bank is acting up before I pull them again.

Also dicking around is what makes this a hobby :-)
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

Do a compression test. It maybe blowing compression into the water jacket and then blowing the water out, then it gets hot, Ive had this happen a few times . You can some time pick this up watching the water in the rad rev it and it will bubble with the leaking compression, you can also get the water tested for exhaust as well. Only other simple place it can leak is the timing cover.

So water is getting in all Cylinders? typically if its burning water the plugs will have no carbon. The exhaust could also be full of water as well now, so it will blow steam for so time till thats gone.

Other wise pull it apart and get the bits pressure tested, Wynnum engine have done Windsor heads for me before, They did 69ishes parts when his 347 had a catastrophic related to hydraulicing failure, If it has a big leak into the cylinders I personally would not run it
Last edited by Shaunp on Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:58 am, edited 4 times in total.
lukep6470
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by lukep6470 »

SO one thing I've learnt is if you want to find any weak spots in your cooling system leave it at 20psi overnight!

After sorting out heater hose clamps etc I have found it is weaping into cylinder 1 from the intake manifold gasket. Now if I don't find anything else it appears I'm going to need thicker gaskets.

Trickflow/felpro make two 0.120 manifold gaskets out of different materials, the felpro one I used is 0.60, which one should I use:

Composite:
https://www.trickflow.com/parts/tfs-2893

Compressed Fiber Laminate:
https://www.trickflow.com/parts/tfs-52400923
Nuts
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Nuts »

As I said earlier,"Check to make sure the gap between the manifold and heads is the same at the bottom of manifold as it is at the top. Also pull the plugs and see where it's wet. might help locate the source" See what the gap is with the gaskets and all cleaned up. Might be you need to replace the manifold.
My Motto - Don't get Caught! If you do, Blame Someone Else!

MUSTANG - Fantastic Not Plastic
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

Or machine it. Might be worth chatting to an engine builder.
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

Thought would be the issue, this is what rooted Rod's motor it ended up hydro locking. You are not using the cork end gaskets are you? . Sit it in place squarely and measure the gap with feeler gauges, you should be able to see the port alignment through the throttle bodies. It never used to blow the gaskets, so work out the size you need, put plenty of Ultra black around the water jacket both sides of the gaskets and glue the gasket in place with contact cement so it dont slip down. Think this may just be finger trouble.
Last edited by Shaunp on Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
lukep6470
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by lukep6470 »

Hi,

I had a massive facepalm moment, the pressure test isn't completely valid as there is manifold vacuum helping to suck the coolant into the engine.

I took the gaskets out and lightly bolted the manifold down. Using feeler gauges I measured about .060" gap between the manifold and heads on both sides. It looks like .120" gaskets are the way to go.

So are there any suggestions as to brand and type? Composite or compressed laminate?

I would really like steel core but can't seem to find any that thick.
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

Think Ford perfoarnce make a 75 thou laminate one, you dont want it too think or the Intake wont line up.
Last edited by Shaunp on Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.