Supercharger seal replacement

Need help on paint, paint prep, welding, engines etc?

Moderator: Moderators

gbx78
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: Supercharger seal replacement

Post by gbx78 »

Husky65 wrote:Happy to help mate! I'd leak to see the mechanical rear seal setup on yours.

Another thing to add.

I ran the supercharger this arvo before putting the intake tubing back on, to make sure there was no catastrophic dramas before I re-installed everything. The amount of air this SC pushes out at idle is huge. I was blown away(not literally) by how much air was coming out of the discharge at idle. The bypass valve I have is no way venting most of it. I would say maybe half of it if that.
I am thinking of either adding a second bypass, or using a larger one, like the Procharger big red versions. If it can't vent a large majority at idle, I'd hate to see what's happening when you come off throttle high up in the rev range.
It does doesnt it!! I used it to blow all the dust and crap out of the engine bay hehe. .. mines always dumping until load rpm and throttle.. but you hear it when you back off.

I wish i bought mine sooner.. after hearing and seeing how much air it pushes.. i straight away bought my turbosmart. I was looking at the procharger and mondo one but waa too exy. I wonder if running the factory 25mm bosch one previously has caused my seals to leak or fail or maybe its just wear.. as it only started leaking when I started encouraging boost in my driving.

Seriously great writeup and thanks for taking the time to post
'You can never test fire too many times.' - Hybrid

'You can never have too many gauges' -
Boofhead
Ausjacko
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Ausjacko »

good write-up. Always wondered what was inside those things and thanks to you we now know.
'68 J-code GT Fastback
'67 S-code GT coupe, 'Pink Bitz' formerly known as 'Hookin' up a brother'
'69 M_____ GTS Fastback 'Blasted'
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

Nice write up mate.
Yeah I know mine definitely doesn't vent all the air because when I had my pressure sensor in the hat, my meth was pumping at high RPM/light throttle while the valve was open.
It doesn't need to bypass all the air easily. It's just to stop the charger being damaged by a brick wall of air when you close the throttle essentially.

However, any extra load on the charger when it's not making boost is going to cost you fuel/power.
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

Ausjacko wrote:good write-up. Always wondered what was inside those things and thanks to you we now know.
Not a lot! Definitely makes it hard to justify the cost IMO.
Husky65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Husky65 »

Ausjacko wrote:good write-up. Always wondered what was inside those things and thanks to you we now know.
As hybrid said, not a lot. The gear and shaft assemblies are machined from one piece, and about the only 'expensive' part in it. Everything else is just of the shelf(albeit high quality) bearings, washers and seals. It is a quality piece though. Everything just fits perfectly.
Husky65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Husky65 »

hybrid wrote:Nice write up mate.
Yeah I know mine definitely doesn't vent all the air because when I had my pressure sensor in the hat, my meth was pumping at high RPM/light throttle while the valve was open.
It doesn't need to bypass all the air easily. It's just to stop the charger being damaged by a brick wall of air when you close the throttle essentially.

However, any extra load on the charger when it's not making boost is going to cost you fuel/power.
Yeah, i guess the other side is if your bypass is too big for your application, it would take longer to build boost also, as the bypass won't shut right away.

I have noticed a couple times when I came off boost in the 4000rpm range, it stutters for a split second. I was thinking about adding a conventional bov with a tighter spring, so that it will only open when you come off WOT, and help get the large volume of air out as quickly as possible.
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

Mine had two springs with it. I ended up putting the lightest spring in it so it was open at idle.
But yeah it was quieter with the other one for sure.
Husky65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Husky65 »

Well, stomped it in a few times now and so far no oil what so ever. $6 seal seems to be performing better than the $60usd I used before(most likely user error installing though)