Green Machine. The return of the "Madden"

Create your project threads here if you prefer to keep them out of the regular forums

Moderator: Moderators

gbx78
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: Green Machine. The return of the "Madden"

Post by gbx78 »

shermatt wrote:John,

hahah pooor shelby "im sinking!! IM SINKING!!! SAVE ME WOMAN!"

*high pitched voice* AWWESSSOMMEE build thread. geez i hope i get that good doing mine by myself! ..
shermatt
The Fatkid
The Fatkid

Post by shermatt »

Shelby loves swimming. Hes there by choice. He loves it

Just gotta get him to stop drinking that salt water.... He makes a mess on the boat from both ends...he doesnt come out much lately :(
shermatt
The Fatkid
The Fatkid

Post by shermatt »

Been slowly chipping away at the old girl with a bad back but making progress. Left the seat base in the sun for almost a day before I pulled out all the temporary hogg rings and gave it the best I had. I managed to get it pretty tight but one corner (underneath) isn’t the way I wanted it but your not going to see that…still pi55es me off though.

Bolted the seat back together, centre punched the holes in the back, fitted the back seat panel and gave the plastic covers a clean with some thinners and a small brass wire brush to get some old overspray off and out of the grain. They came up practically new. Fitted them then threw on the seat tracks…..lubed them up with a tonne of white spray lithium grease and through it in the front of the car. All bolted up and the car looked sensational.

I had to take out the whole back seat and side panels as the rear windows were being a pain in the ar5e. Spent close to 4 hours on the F@#KING things and gave up. Ended up taking the whole thing out twice. Cut the back of my hands up…extremely frustrating…..Its now a job for Monday.

Took Justang’s advice and cleaned all the blue wax off the tyres using carb cleaner. The stuff works a treat. Allthough I started by just cleaning the letters then when I stood back I realized it was over the entire tyre so I had to clean the entire thing then come back to the letters and give them a separate wipe to get a crisp white letter again. When you clean the whole tyre it also spreads black over the lettering….Thanks for the tip Justin

Ran all the new wiring for the turn signals in the hood and chased down some new flanged nuts to bolt the vents down only to find that that ballbag painter didn’t paint the edges properly so I have to unbolt them and respray them.

Fitted the 1 piece cross brace from the firewall to the shock towers….god I hate doing them but this one practically fell into place. A little bit of tweaking and had to jack the car from the centre brace to take the weight of the shock towers as normal but over all I managed to do it just under an hour.

Sherm finally dropped off my long awaited GT badge for the fuel cap. Went to put it on thinking it would be a 2 second job only to realize I had to break down the entire cap again (door only) just to fit it. I go to put on the press washers on only to find they don’t even fit….2 second job turns into 30 minutes….Welcome to the world of restoration.

So…it gets better. I get the new badge that goes on the brushed alloy part above the dash. The 3M tape is double sided and you need to peel both sides before you apply it. Fair enough. Bit a dinkin around and finally get the tape on the back of the badge ready to go on. I fit it perfectly and as soon as I sit back and look at it…it clicks to me…..I hadn’t taken the protective plastic of the brushed alloy.

I managed to get the badge off and peel some of the protective plastic off so I could fit the badge. All good now

Had been waiting for a power steering bracket that John had ordered on ebay a while back and had been sitting on his shelf for some time, so seeing as I was having no luck with thso FN rear windows and my back wasn’t on its way just yet, I figured I would hook up all the power steering and fit the pump.

Managed to get all the brackets in the right place only to give the pump a quick spin and it was grabbing in some spots….So that shi7 canned that idea. Last thing I want is the power steering giving us grief so I had a chat to Sherm and for a whole $65 I could put a brand new one on. (hope you don’t mind John)

Started on the side badges and didn’t have the measurements handy so I thought I would go on the forum and ask if someone could do the measurements on a GT side badge but as soon as I got to the computer I realized all you buggers were in bed and they’ve now got this thing called “GOOGLE”…very handy as I managed to find this site with exactly what I needed. Thought I would throw it up incase anyone else need 65-70 badge measurements but I need this link on Monday anyway as I haven’t done it yet.

http://www.mustangmonthly.com/howto/287 ... ering.html

Sherm at Sunstate is going to give a hand on Monday/Tuesday to get the rear windows sorted and help me with the front window alignment. Once that’s done I could button up the entire interior.
shermatt
The Fatkid
The Fatkid

Post by shermatt »

Quick Update

Spent another 4 hours on those FN rear windows. Found the problem

If anyone ever decides to fit new plastic rollers for the rear windows

DO NOT BUY THE BLUE ONES

The spring clips are the incorrect size and DO NOT LOCK like the supposed too.

You want the red one. There the same size as the blue ones but the clip locks into the grove perfectly. Ordered a new power steering pump and dropped the car off for a wheel alignment.

Picked it Friday and $145 later its back with me ready for the window alignment. Once the windows are perfect, I can fit the rear interior panels, front kick panels, carpet and scuff plates. Sort the dash cluster out and the interior is done

Plum up the power steering, sort the starter motor noise out, fit the front bumper (thats being a bitch for alignment for some reason) fit some badges, do the decals/stickers, align the bonnet and the install the chrome rocker panel moulds. Will need the rear lights connected also.

Oh, keep forgetting...need a new upper drivers door hinge

Apart from that, Im hoping its done

John, you need to remind me to blast the drivers side seat tracks. I havent done them yet and to touch up the rear rail

Matt
shermatt
The Fatkid
The Fatkid

Post by shermatt »

And by the way,

to all the dads out their, Happy fathers day
Chopper
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by Chopper »

John, you need to remind me to blast the drivers side seat tracks. I havent done them yet and to touch up the rear rail

Matt[/quote]
:poke: :drool: :thumbs:
I don't want to discourage you from cooking so i will just buy new pots
Chopper
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by Chopper »

Matt[/quote]
:poke: :drool: :thumbs:
I don't want to discourage you from cooking so i will just buy new pots
shermatt
The Fatkid
The Fatkid

Post by shermatt »

John, I put together a list of all the stuff that needs doing yesterday that I will email to you.

Spent the last 2 days on glass....its pi55ing me off.

GT badges and side rocker moulding done yesterday, adjusted the exhaust tips, fitted alot of weather strip/seals and rubbers

Working on it today aswell. Sherm has been helping me also as he knows I want it finished and I keep hitting little road blocks

The car WILL be leaving in 2-3 weeks so my time is all on MADDY at the moment

Matt
thirsty390
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by thirsty390 »

2 weeks Matt.

I haven't caught up with John yet to show himj some pics. Better get my ass into gear.
shermatt
The Fatkid
The Fatkid

Post by shermatt »

Thirsty, I wouldnt mind a few of those shots if you post em to photobucket or something. I liked that camera

QUICK QUESTION

I havent ordered seat belts yet for the car. Would new ones be OK for Rego in Victoria or do you need special ADR compliant replecements?

If not, any suggestions...believe it or not, I never bought seat belts and have no idea how many styles there are. 1, 2 or 3 styles maybe??

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Thanks

Matt
shermatt
The Fatkid
The Fatkid

Post by shermatt »

I was just wondering if anyone has a link to any sites that show the factory markings for a 68 mustang. Especially ones that describe the differences in Plants aswell as some where different.

I have finished up Johns 68 Vert (well 95%...still needs electrical done) and its being picked up today or tommorow and I thought I might give it the final touches by putting the correct markings on the car

Thanks

Matt

ChilliChadd
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by ChilliChadd »

Chadd

_______________COUPDUP_______________
mikes68
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by mikes68 »

shermatt wrote:

Hey Matt,

Love the colour of the seat upholstery there - what order code, how much and where did you get it from... that looks about as white as I want to get mine.
Fifty Years Afloat

We can't alter the direction of the wind,
But we can adjust our sails
shermatt
The Fatkid
The Fatkid

Post by shermatt »

standard TMI parchment mate

Its not white..sort of a off white with a lil tan in it.

Going to do a final video over the next few days so it might show better in a video

Matt

mikes68
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by mikes68 »

Thanks Matt...
Fifty Years Afloat

We can't alter the direction of the wind,
But we can adjust our sails