Dono's 67 GTA s-code Fastback

Create your project threads here if you prefer to keep them out of the regular forums

Moderator: Moderators

donoauto
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: Dono's 67 GTA s-code Fastback

Post by donoauto »

Following on from George's "Scarlet" thread regarding trunk strut rod instead of the torsion spring rods that were fitted standard. For those who don't have the torsion rods (mine have always been missing) or want to change away from them, here's some photo's & part number of the Repco strut I used. Repco also keep the ball mounts (part#MLSMP351). Tried a much shorter BA Falcon one 1st, hoping it would be sexier, but way too much opening force (rated at 500Nm).
Another tip, try & keep the rod parallel to the hinge as the hinges appear to flex a fair bit & 1st attempt kicked hinge inwards causing whole trunk to shift to the left when closing & risks damaging paint work.

(PRAYER) Oh thank you Wild Turkey American Honey & Cola in those small thin bottles, for giving me the strength to act like a half wit, and say stupid things at inappropriate times, semi-anonymously, on a public forum.
Amen.
gbx78
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by gbx78 »

donoauto wrote:Following on from George's "Scarlet" thread regarding trunk strut rod instead of the torsion spring rods that were fitted standard. For those who don't have the torsion rods (mine have always been missing) or want to change away from them, here's some photo's & part number of the Repco strut I used. Repco also keep the ball mounts (part#MLSMP351). Tried a much shorter BA Falcon one 1st, hoping it would be sexier, but way too much opening force (rated at 500Nm).
Another tip, try & keep the rod parallel to the hinge as the hinges appear to flex a fair bit & 1st attempt kicked hinge inwards causing whole trunk to shift to the left when closing & risks damaging paint work.

looks good mate. good tip too.. mines not completely parallel but i noticed when it was way out it was pushing the trunk to one side.

i might relocate the bottom part to make mine more parallel too. i didnt know repco sold them .. thtas good to know and about the force.
67fastysm
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by 67fastysm »

fantastic tip donoauto , mine has the torsion bar and are a pain to fit will definitely look at these as a swap .
i think supercheap at the moment have a special on struts as well
Age is a high price for maturity
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

The torsion bar is a really simple fit, had to be as they only had seconds to fit them on the line. Simple tool makes it a one handed operation, leaving the other hand to fit the clip.
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
soc123_au
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by soc123_au »

The other easy solution is run 68 bootlid hinges. WTF are you guys talking about Elephants noses & posting pics of Bootlids?
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

soc123_au wrote:WTF are you guys talking about Elephants noses & posting pics of Bootlids?
Try calling a US parts dealer & ask for a "boot lid" ..... :rotfl: Like asking for a front mudguard on an early English car, they are wings ..... :poke:

American cars, American terminology .... Bloody shit stirrer, piss off to DG .... :rant:
Kerry

soc123_au
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by soc123_au »

Your in Australia now mate. Bondo is the name of a clown, a hood is a head covering, fender is a brand of guitar, a trunk hangs off an elephants face & I have no idea what a fucking deck lid is. Might be an awning over a back verandah or something.
Pinto-Pete
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Pinto-Pete »

Deck envy......
QQ7Ue5emo6I
ponyride
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by ponyride »

soc123_au wrote:Your in Australia now mate. Bondo is the name of a clown, a hood is a head covering, fender is a brand of guitar, a trunk hangs off an elephants face & I have no idea what a fucking deck lid is. Might be an awning over a back verandah or something.
Go Steve!

While we're at it can we please try to re-educate ourselves on being Australian again? With spelling as much as (more than) terminology. Apologies to people like ozbilt who've lived in the States for a long time, the rest of us don't have an excuse.

We spell:
Tyres not tires
Fibreglass not fiberglass
Colour not color
Centre not center
Grey not gray

It's about retainng our culture - don't look away too long or it'll be gone.

Cue John Williamson :drink: :

Last edited by ponyride on Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick.

Old things amuse all minds.
Faststangfan
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Faststangfan »

And my personal pet hate (Gained from working at a smelter). Aluminium not Aluminum
Living the dream.
1969 Mach 1 351c
1970 Fastback 302w
1971 Fastback 351c
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

ponyride wrote: While we're at it can we please try to re-educate ourselves on being Australian again? With spelling as much as (more than) terminology.

We spell:
Tyres not tires
Fibreglass not fiberglass
Colour not color
Centre not center
Grey not gray

It's about retaining our culture - don't look away too long or it'll be gone.
Just use Firefox or Google Chrome as they have spell check & tick off the box for English Australian & it will do it for you.

PS, I corrected the word "retaining" in the last sentence .... :poke: :rotfl:
Kerry

donoauto
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by donoauto »

ozbilt wrote:
:rotfl:
(PRAYER) Oh thank you Wild Turkey American Honey & Cola in those small thin bottles, for giving me the strength to act like a half wit, and say stupid things at inappropriate times, semi-anonymously, on a public forum.
Amen.
donoauto
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by donoauto »

I used to refer to my trunk as a boot & I think Oz pulled me up on it back in the MOCA days. Ah the memories....... how we laughed. Laughed & laughed & laughed.

and then we got kicked out :mrgreen:
Amen.
ponyride
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by ponyride »

ozbilt wrote:
Just use Firefox or Google Chrome as they have spell check & tick off the box for English Australian & it will do it for you.

Now that's cheating and just won't do.

Thanks for the correction of the typo! I wanted to see who was paying attention. :lol:
Rick.

Old things amuse all minds.
Pinto-Pete
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Pinto-Pete »

ponyride wrote:
ozbilt wrote:

Now that's cheating and just won't do.

Thanks for the correction of the typo! I wanted to see who was paying attention. :lol:
yup that'll be it ...... :poke: