flo"RIDA" 65 A code mustang ute

Create your project threads here if you prefer to keep them out of the regular forums

Moderator: Moderators

69Boss
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Re: flo"RIDA" 65 A code mustang ute

Post by 69Boss »

Mate that looks Hot. Love the shots they took and look forward to seeing more. :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

You know i could allways use another ute around the farm if your stuck looking for somewhere to leave it. :outtahere:
A word of advise....Never get into a sword fight with Steve.....He has some slick moves!!!
Sorry that should read SICK moves!!!
jusTANG
PatCH the Platypus
PatCH the Platypus

Post by jusTANG »

needs to sit lower :poke:

No really guys a job well done and the photo's look great and Ute does also. You should be very proud of your efforts

and in the second build time frame :bowdown: you are a machines

congrates
Cheers,
j
shermatt
The Fatkid
The Fatkid

Post by shermatt »

Allthough it attended the ponys under the palms car show on sunday prior, then stripped down on Wednesday for a respray on Thursday and built by Friday.....something had to give (or get overlooked in this case)

Thought it was the thrust bearing on the clutch fork making the squeeling noise as it was on its way out....this was not the case

In the mad rush and to many 18 hour days, the Fatkid forgot to use a product called Mercon 5...about 4 quarts of the product to be precise

Mercon 5 is gearbox oil for the 5 speed gearboxes

(for those running 90 weight for 4 speed boxes in there 5 speeds, that is the reason your grinding gears)

Tottaly FRIED a perfectly good 5 speed.....I really mean FRIED IT

You get that on the big jobs.

Found a guy in Hudson Florida that sells fully rebuilt ones for $500 or $600 if you dont have a core (spare gearbox) So John (Thirsty390)...yes I can find you a gearbox if your still looking

I have T'd it up with one of the guys from the mustang club, that this weekend it may get Chip foose's sigi on it as he is here in Florida for a big car show (one that Ive never heard of)..only if he thinks it up to standard :)

Everyone has allways asked..."are you ever going to keep one".....well, this is the one!....had 2 offers for the car at the Turkey rod run and I was very surprised at the offers.....one more than the other
(that was as it stood...unfinished)

Even though it looks the goods in the pics there is a list a mile long that I need to do that cant be seen that needs to be completed...the little things.

Firewall brakes lines need to be suspended correctly
Side windows remade
head lights
sequential LED brake lights fitted (and working)
handbrake
traction bars set
heater box connected
stereo wired up
front seat extensions fabbed up
rear bumper set
washer bottle connected
new dip switch
indicators
rear window fitted correctly (seal)
Flip fuel cap (71 Mach1) in bed fitted correctly
Radiator fitted correctly (not tied in with speaker wire) :)
Battery clamp
window bump stops in doors
Edelbrock internal controler mounted in the cabin
ECU mounted correctly (not stuffed under dash)
Clearcoat re-sanded and polished again
rear bumper adjusted
front bumper side brackets fitted
rear parcel tray area fabbed up (MDF and carpet Im guessing)
rear brake lights set in position evenly
GT valance covers for exhaust holes made up (black mesh)
New T5 and lotsa Mercon 5 :)
Title and registration is also a plus at this stage
Rewire ignition module that fried the weekend before when the coil wire hit the exhaust (easy fix)

So theres still a bucket load of things left to be 100% but in order to get it done with the time frame I had to get it to the photo shoot.... I can let it slide that I used speaker wire to hold the radiator in place so I could focus on more relevant things

There is also a few things that I would of liked to do to the ute that I did to Johns 68 Vert like blast all the internals of the door locks, rods, mechanisms, and paint the internal of the door with Rhino liner. The diff could come out again and rebuild the brakes. I wouldnt mind knowing that the engine has been rebuilt either but its an extremely strong 347, doesnt blow smoke and with the 1.7 cam, roller rockers, and edelbrock fuel injection...it is an extremely responsive little beasty

hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

Colour change was a good decision Matt.. that deeper red looks the goods for sure.
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

Matt Mercon is just auto fuild nothing more nothing less, there other oild you can use which have more extreme pressure performance. SAE 90 is GL5 EP oil, and not suitble for more modern boxes. I use to run Dexon in M20 & M21 holden boxes in the 80's to stop them breaking when you flat change them. The problem with running ATF in manual boxes is gear where. You can buy MTF oils which are an extreme pressure oil but much thinner and all so have an additive package to make syncro work well, they are GL4 not 5. I assume you can get them in the US as well. Penrite make a few grades. Landrover 5 speeds were speced to run ATF but the gear life was reduced. With an MTF GL4 they still shift, in fact better than with ATF, plus you get the EP additive. This works fine in TKO boxes etc as well. I use the penrite ones or Valvoline gura gear GL4 75/80 it's thin almost like trans fuild, but it's a gear oil, suitable for tranaxles as well. Castrol VMX80 is the same also.
You can use this in Toploaders as well sorts them right out VMX-M is good in a TL. Biggest reason why a TL gets damaged normally is due to slow syncros and then they shear the dog teeth, this stuff makes them shift quick and smooth.
shermatt
The Fatkid
The Fatkid

Post by shermatt »

Shaun

Thanks for that mate...I will give it a bash.

I only just pumped the new box full yesterday using a mini pump style oil can (the kind that you use to fix sqeeky bike wheels like grandad use to have)

Didnt have anything else. Some transport guy was there waiting for me to finish as the ute was behind a 65 shelby that was leaving and I wasnt dropping the car on the ground untill it was finished....had to pump 200ml at a time (and had to do it quickly) and the tendens on top of my hand feel like they have been hit with a hammer

I will give that stuff a bash though

Thanks
Matt
shermatt
The Fatkid
The Fatkid

Post by shermatt »

Whats the deal with getting a 65 ute registered with a 347/Edelbrock fuel injection/Recaro seats/18 inch wheels/racing fuel cell and pumps and a 5 speed in Melbourne?

Matt
xpconnor
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by xpconnor »

shermatt wrote:Whats the deal with getting a 65 ute registered with a 347/Edelbrock fuel injection/Recaro seats/18 inch wheels/racing fuel cell and pumps and a 5 speed in Melbourne?

Matt
Deep pockets and friends in high places I would think. :poke:
"The Mustang is full of Awesome"
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

Matt do you think you will even get import approval?
Shayne93
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Shayne93 »

nassi wrote:Matt do you think you will even get import approval?
Refer above :P
1966 Ford Mustang Coupe... [Build in progress]
shermatt
The Fatkid
The Fatkid

Post by shermatt »

nassi wrote:Matt do you think you will even get import approval?
nassi, yes I have an import approval for the car

As for my List...the highlighted ones are all I have done

New T5 and lotsa Mercon 5
Title and registration is also a plus at this stage
Rewire ignition module that fried the weekend before when the coil wire hit the exhaust (easy fix)

Firewall brakes lines need to be suspended correctly
Side windows remade
head lights
sequential LED brake lights fitted (and working)
handbrake
traction bars set
heater box connected
stereo wired up
front seat extensions fabbed up
rear bumper set
washer bottle connected
New dip switch
indicators
rear window fitted correctly (seal)
Flip fuel cap (71 Mach1) in bed fitted correctly
Radiator fitted correctly (not tied in with speaker wire)
Battery clamp
window bump stops in doors
Edelbrock internal controler mounted in the cabin
ECU mounted correctly (not stuffed under dash)
Clearcoat re-sanded and polished again
rear bumper adjusted
front bumper side brackets fitted
rear parcel tray area fabbed up (MDF and carpet Im guessing)
rear brake lights set in position evenly
GT valance covers for exhaust holes made up (black mesh)

a friend took this short video last weekend but its all squashed up

[youtube]MuWSsOw-ziE&list=UU1S4rXXadEqrOqeFiCHJveQ&index=1&feature=plcp[/youtube]
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

How the hell did you manage improt approval Matt?
shermatt
The Fatkid
The Fatkid

Post by shermatt »

I sent them my seven legged spider, Scott's helicopter, an under water watch and a train set

nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

shermatt wrote:I sent them my seven legged spider, Scott's helicopter, an under water watch and a train set

Now your just taking the piss :rotfl:
tim_morrison82
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by tim_morrison82 »

personal import?
Dreaming the dream... Living the reality...