Megasquirt - a story of injection

Need help on paint, paint prep, welding, engines etc?

Moderator: Moderators

hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: Megasquirt - a story of injection

Post by hybrid »

lukep6470 wrote:Or just make the hole going into the new sump a lot smaller than the sump itself. Instant baffle!!!
That wasn't really the issue with mine though.
You still have the issue that if your fuel runs away from the sump under acceleration for a long period, your sump is going to run out of fuel eventually.
With a small hole, it takes longer to refill the sump too.
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

hybrid wrote:
lukep6470 wrote:Or just make the hole going into the new sump a lot smaller than the sump itself. Instant baffle!!!
You still have the issue that if your fuel runs away from the sump under acceleration for a long period, your sump is going to run out of fuel eventually.
The tank would have to be pretty low and I plan to run the spill return back to the sump as well. With a Mustang you cant have it all the way to the back though due the shape of the tank, you still to have at the lowest point to some respect. Anyway, Bryan at Exhaust innovations has done a few so we'll do mine in couple of weeks. I don't want any fuel lines inside the car. So I have new 22 gallon 1970 tank, from Mustang auto parts and a sump coming from Summit in my next order, with 2 x 1/2" NPT fittings. Going to mount the 2 filters and the pump on under the floor
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

I mounted my inline pump along the front rail.
I also reversed the pump and filter so there was a loop as I wanted the fuel mass in the filter under acceleration pushing toward the pump rather than fight it.

I will someday think of something clever to say.
Dwayne
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Dwayne »

Are you only running the one pump boofhead?
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

No - I have a low pressure pump as a lift pump to a swirl tank.
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

Shaunp wrote:
hybrid wrote:
The tank would have to be pretty low and I plan to run the spill return back to the sump as well. With a Mustang you cant have it all the way to the back though due the shape of the tank, you still to have at the lowest point to some respect. Anyway, Bryan at Exhaust innovations has done a few so we'll do mine in couple of weeks. I don't want any fuel lines inside the car. So I have new 22 gallon 1970 tank, from Mustang auto parts and a sump coming from Summit in my next order, with 2 x 1/2" NPT fittings. Going to mount the 2 filters and the pump on under the floor
I had between 1/4 and 1/2 a tank, and I returned to the swirl pot. It still ran out of fuel before the end of the 1/4 mile - so 12 seconds worth of fuel.
Yeah I forgot the mustang tank lifts up towards the back. What is the capacity of the sump?
lukep6470
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by lukep6470 »

hybrid wrote:
Shaunp wrote:
hybrid wrote:
I had between 1/4 and 1/2 a tank, and I returned to the swirl pot. It still ran out of fuel before the end of the 1/4 mile - so 12 seconds worth of fuel.
Yeah I forgot the mustang tank lifts up towards the back. What is the capacity of the sump?
Now you've scared me as I only orders a 30GPH lift pump. What size was yours?
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

I don't have a lift pump.
Mine is the BA in tank module, so it has an integrated swirl pot - I guess about 600ml?
I'm going to go back to the track with a full tank so I don't have the same issue.

If you have a decent sized swirl pot you will probably be fine.
lukep6470
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by lukep6470 »

It's 1.5 litres even with the pump in it.
Dwayne
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Dwayne »

Jumping back a bit, the MS has 4 injectors firing at once ... whereas the Edelbrock Pro-Flo has only 2 injectors firing together.

Is there a preference, and can MS fire 2 at a time instead?

Thinking about potentially upgrading my Pro-Flo 1 system to MS down the track for laptop tuning instead of the handheld controller.
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

MS2 only has two injector drivers as standard, so no. It can be modded for more though.

Two at a time would be considered "semi sequential" fueling.
IMO, not much benefit compared to batch firing or alternate firing 4 at a time.

If you want to go to more trouble to wire 4 injector channels instead of two, you'd be better off just going to full sequential with MS3.
lukep6470
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by lukep6470 »

If the Megasquirt is anything like the Microsquirt it has two injector driving circuits. That's why you have you have 2 banks of 4 on a V8.
lukep6470
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by lukep6470 »

2 answers at once :-)
Dwayne
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Dwayne »

Shaun, Where were you planning to fit your filter and pump?

SA laws don't allow any fuel lines or pumps inside the boot unless it's engineered and completely blocked off from passenger compartment (inc gases). That leaves me with very little room for a surge tank (tucked up behind diff perhaps?).

The sump like you're doing would probably work best for me. Was thinking my filter & pump could be tucked up between tank and rear valance with a check valve to stop it draining back. Only concern I have is in a rear end collision it would get crunched.
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

you could weld one into the back of your tank - stick a little bit out with connections on it