hybrids 1966 Coupe Project

Create your project threads here if you prefer to keep them out of the regular forums

Moderator: Moderators

hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: hybrids 1966 Coupe Project - not dialup friendly!

Post by hybrid »

Today I flipped the car over for the first time so I could look at the underneath.
I've now coated the bottom in some brush on tar sealer so the new floors look a bit neater.

I also started to fit one of the torque boxes. It needs a bit more fiddling with, but didn't want to annoy the neighbours with my tools at night.
I bought two 6m lengths (supply and return) of aluminium fuel line and will run those next weekend while I have the car upside down. Will probably also do the brake lines while its on the rotisserie.

hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

Got the torque boxes done today.
They have been POR-15'd inside and out. I'll re-do the welded bits before it goes back the right way up. During the week I will buy some P Clips so I can do the fuel and brakes lines next weekend.

hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

No update for a while... been busy and haven't had much time for the Mustang.
Same this weekend really, but managed to quickly run the fuel lines.
I'll put a few more brackets on next weekend I think.

I gave the bender the flick and decided to do the bends by hand. The bender wanted to squash the pipe too much.

hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

Modified the Mustang tank to fit the BA Falcon fuel pump today.
I built up the lower areas of the ribs so that I had a flat surface for the rubber o-ring to seal on.

I then used rivet nuts with the ends welded, as well as welding at the top (after riveting in place) so they didn't leak.

Made a mistake and the outlets are facing the wrong way. Unfortunately the holes are not symetrical so its going to have to stay that way.

Also had to modify the fuel sender so that it didn't foul on the pump module.

hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

Long time no update!
Haven't had much time lately to do very much.

Today I painted the inner roof and trunk with POR-15 before eventually putting dynamat in.
I've also run the brake line from front to rear.

hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

Picked up my $180 seats tonight. They are not perfect, but should be great once I have them trimmed to suit the rest of the interior. Not sure what I will do with the mounts yet. After a quick look, I'm thinking I'll cut the original mounts off the rails and weld plates in to suit the original mustang mounts.
One of the seats is electric, so I also need to check if the motorised part can be moved to the other seat.

Also my bonnet scoop and side scoops arrived.
To anyone who has fitted these before - is it normal that they don't fully cover the cutout in the guard? I only attached this one quickly, but it seems to want to sit inside the mould in the guard as per the next pics.
Is this normal, and we just bog the seams?

hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

Football was cancelled this weekend, so got a bit more done than I normally would have.

Firstly, I finished reconditioning the door hinges with new brass bushes, pins, springs etc.

Also fitted the Shelby bonnet scoop. I mounted it a little further forward than it was done as standard. I'll cut the hole in the bonnet some time next weekend also I think.

I seam sealed the join at the top of the firewall where I welded a new top on (the old was rusted), and also de-greased the engine bay in preparation for paint.

Hopefully I will receive the radiator during next week so I can cut the radiator support to fit the bigger radiator. Once I've done this, I can prime the engine bay and paint the colour on it.
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

Got my radiator today. It looks pretty good, but looks like they have sprayed some parts with silver paint for some reason. Maybe it was discoloured. Also, the welds are not superb, but as long as it doesn't leak I'm happy.

hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

Fitted the radiator in today. I cut the top of the radiator support so it would fit as far forward as possible.
Afterwards I wasted an hour standing there looking at it for two reasons.
Firstly I wondered how you will ever fill the radiator up fully with the filler being recessed like it is.
Secondly, I'm trying to work out a way to get some strength back into the radiator support. I think I'm going to weld some plate to the sides of the bonnet latch support that will run along the front of the radiator support, and then bolt through the radiator support.

It's either that, or I re-make the radiator support to go over the top of the radiator again, but I'm not sure how much room I have under the bonnet. It's only the top corners that really stick up above the original, so I might just be able to make a new top for the radiator support.

I'm also going to make a fan shroud from plate aluminium rather than bolting the fans straight to the radiator.

Getting back to the filling issue... I came to the conclusion that although the filler neck is recessed, the cap seal still sits high enough that the radiator should get a complete fill.

(pics tomorrow.. have to go get ready to hit the town!)
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

Kerry,
I found some left over galvanised angle from when I fixed the top of the firewall, so just decided to give that a go instead of re-doing the whole lot considering it was at hand.
It's getting a bit late (ok only 6pm) and don't want to annoy the neighbours, so I'll clean up all the welds and cuts tomorrow. Hopefully it will look ok once its all cleaned up.

hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

Cleaned up the welds today with the tig and sanding disk, then put a quick coat of etch primer on to seal it.
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

Did some dynamat work today. Don't believe anyone that tells you that the 36sqft pack is enough "for the whole car".
36sqft did about 3/4 of my floor. I still need to do the roof, the trunk, under the bonnet, and the doors.

Also painted up the top suspension arms with charcoal hammer finish paint. Comes up pretty good with this stuff, so I'll probably do some other bits with it too.

hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

Finally got the final piece of sheet metal - the L/H front guard.
Trial fitted it today... all good except my camera lense is obviously freaking filthy.

Also cleaned up the diff and painted it. After it is installed I will probably end up taking the centre out to change the open centre.
Fitted the fuel tank and turned the fuel pump around so it actually faces the incoming fuel lines now.

Next I will hopefully get the suspension sorted so I can get the car off the rotisserie and start getting into prepping the bodywork.
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

Didn't get the suspension parts I was hoping for this weekend, so will have to find other things to do.
I fitted the thermo fans and shroud today. Came up pretty good. Hopefully I have enough room in front of the engine.

scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by scott66stang »

Looking great Hybrid your moving along quiet rapidly :Clap:
You have inspired me to cut a hole in the brand new 22g tank i just got for the fastback to take the Fairlane fuel pump .