68 fastback conversion

Create your project threads here if you prefer to keep them out of the regular forums

Moderator: Moderators

68stang
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Re: 68 fastback conversion

Post by 68stang »

the steering box was fitted by the guy that did the body, he set it up before the engine bay was painted and made all the neccesary modifications
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

You may find the steering wheel will quite low I think, you may need a tilt col to get it up. Who made the drag link?
68stang
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by 68stang »

Hugh from sixties rust did all the work but sent the drag link away to someone
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

Yeah it has to be xrayed after you weld it, that's the dear bit. Some poeple just cut a falcon one in the middle to shorten them, mustang is about 23mm narrower than a Falcon. You really should cut each end off and shorten them there, an XY falcon drag link is almost the same as a mustang in the centre section ie where the tie rods bolt up, the extra lenght is from the tie rods to the ends. If you shorten them in the middle only it effects the bump steer, but save on the cost of 1 xray. You should ask how they did it so you know.
68stang
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by 68stang »

all i know is that the same guy that did my fathers mustang did the drag link on mine and it has no bump steer issues. i have the original xf drag link and just put it beside the one that is going on the car and it is a bit smaller, will ask Hugh next time i see him.
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

Ok if your happy with how your dads car is then you should be sweet. They all have bump steer, even from the factory it just a question of how much, it possible to get it better than factory if you get the drag link correct and revise the mounting of the box and idler a little.
68stang
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by 68stang »

if my car handles as good as my dad's mustang i'll be very happy, had his car around lakeside a couple of times and found the steering very controllable at high speeds cornering.
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

Laughing then. Can't wait to see it painted, I looked it at the Brisbane concours a couple of years ago when it was kind of 1/2 done, I assume that's your car? It will be a good thing when done for sure. Do you reckon it worked out any better than buying an average FB to start with?
68stang
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by 68stang »

i was always going to do a complete restoration and this car came about at the right time and right price, and in the end i know that this car has 75% new steel and will be one of a kind. At the time i was looking for a car 68 fastbacks were a bit hard to come by and expensive, and none in excellent condition.
scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by scott66stang »

I recon it is great what your doing, as you say alot of new metal which is always good imo.
Not original so no limit to personalised modifications with any guilt attached.

Looking great, keep up the good work mate cant wait for the end result. :thumbs:
68stang
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by 68stang »

finally got the motor back, still wrapped in plastic but will take better photos later

the motor is a solid lifter 347 windsor with an estimated 470hp definately looks the goods. runs a holley 750dp street hp and will be running a msd 6 digital ignition system.
Im giving the 8.8 diff a chance at containing the power by upgrading the centre to a true trac and using billet axles.
ChilliChadd
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by ChilliChadd »

coming along nicely 68stang :thumbs:
Chadd

_______________COUPDUP_______________
68stang
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by 68stang »

more pics of the engine

still a few things to get to complete it
the motor has a victor jr intake (polished), edelbrock e-205 heads, mechanical solid lifters, roller rockers, and forged pistons. The inlet and exhaust ports on the heads are massive and need special gaskets just to fit the manifolds.
Bought an arp stainless steel bolt kit and cant rate it highly enough, the bolts look fantastic and the quality is unmatched.
scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by scott66stang »

:drool: :drool: :drool:
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

That's a real purdy looking donk!