Wiper conversion??

Create your project threads here if you prefer to keep them out of the regular forums

Moderator: Moderators

Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: Wiper conversion??

Post by Shaunp »

Slot the mount holes, maybe change the lenght of one linkage.
gbx78
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by gbx78 »

Shaunp wrote:
gbx78 wrote:
Shaunp wrote:If the motor is not in the correct spot they dont go in time. when you swap them to the other side the motor has to be in a different spot to make them run in time as the motor is now 180 deg out of phase, when you flip the crank arm over. You cant mirror image the motor.
ok so what are my options to fix this. Is there still potential to rotate the motor if the bracket is fixed in place? Or does this require the bracket to be relocated aswell.
Maybe you could try slotting the holes and move it a around a bit, or maybe be able to alter the length of one linkage. The arm on the motor has been rotated 180 deg yes?
thats a great idea. ill have to give that a go.

Yes the arm on the motor has been spun around 180deg so left is right and right is left.
'You can never test fire too many times.' - Hybrid

'You can never have too many gauges' -
Boofhead
gbx78
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by gbx78 »

do you mean slot the holes of the bracket that mounts to the car.. or the holes that the motor mounts to the bracket? I guess either way i have to pull it all out to slot it. How much do you think it needs to be slotted? to make a difference.

I obviously dont understand the geometry to know which way i need to move it. or as you suggested lengthening one arm.

Boofhead
xpconnor
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by xpconnor »

gbx78 wrote:
Shaunp wrote:
gbx78 wrote: ok so what are my options to fix this. Is there still potential to rotate the motor if the bracket is fixed in place? Or does this require the bracket to be relocated aswell.
Maybe you could try slotting the holes and move it a around a bit, or maybe be able to alter the length of one linkage. The arm on the motor has been rotated 180 deg yes?

Yes the arm on the motor has been spun around 180deg so left is right and right is left.
Maybe try swapping the arms over just in case they arse about.
"The Mustang is full of Awesome"
gbx78
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by gbx78 »

xpconnor wrote:
gbx78 wrote:
Shaunp wrote: Maybe you could try slotting the holes and move it a around a bit, or maybe be able to alter the length of one linkage. The arm on the motor has been rotated 180 deg yes?

hey mate, hmm another good idea, i guess you are referring to sloppy play?i will have to check but im sure it was quite stiff (tee hee) so no play in the arms. ill try get video

Boofhead
gbx78
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by gbx78 »

ok i think i have a clue. You can see the link arm is doing something funky unless thats normal but looks like the right of the arm is doing a full circle which explains why it goes out of sync.. if im understanding correctly.

and here it is on the glass:

Boofhead
xpconnor
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by xpconnor »

gbx78 wrote:
xpconnor wrote:
gbx78 wrote: thats a great idea. ill have to give that a go.

hey mate, hmm another good idea, i guess you are referring to sloppy play?i will have to check but im sure it was quite stiff (tee hee) so no play in the arms. ill try get video
I mean the arms under the dash. Could they be back the front, left on the right and right on the left or in your case left on the left and right on the right. I haven't played with the wipers on my car yet so not even sure if this is possible but might be worth a look.
"The Mustang is full of Awesome"
gbx78
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by gbx78 »

I will check that. So the lh and rh arms are different lengths

Boofhead
Nuts
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Nuts »

Had the same problem with Blue. As Shaun suggested, the motor needs to be in the correct spot and I almost have it there after slotting the holes where the motor mounts to the bracket. You're probably 1/4" left or right.
My Motto - Don't get Caught! If you do, Blame Someone Else!

MUSTANG - Fantastic Not Plastic
gbx78
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by gbx78 »

Nuts wrote:Had the same problem with Blue. As Shaun suggested, the motor needs to be in the correct spot and I almost have it there after slotting the holes where the motor mounts to the bracket. You're probably 1/4" left or right.
ahh I see what you mean. Were you able to do this while attached in the car?.. im windering if im able ti unscrew the motor and turn it while it's going and once right I can mark it and then painfully remove the bracket out and redrill or slot as suggested.

Boofhead
Nuts
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Nuts »

Just be careful, there's a lot of torque in those motors. What I did was unbolt the motor from the bracket and ran it while holding the it and gently moved it around until it did the right thing. :help: Best to have an assistant that can cut the power instantly... :poopfan:
My Motto - Don't get Caught! If you do, Blame Someone Else!

MUSTANG - Fantastic Not Plastic
gbx78
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by gbx78 »

Ok thanks for the heads up.

did you see the video. Are the arms under dash suppose to behave that way. Something made me think the motor was suppose spin back and forth but by the looks on the video its going 360deg

Boofhead
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

I think the motor usually always does a circular motion.
gbx78
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by gbx78 »

Ahh ok cool

Boofhead
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

There are two different motors, one goes 360 and the other oscillates.
Problem is I cant remember if it was the difference between single speed and 2 speed motors or a difference in early and late 65 motors. I think it is the former though.
Last edited by nassi on Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.