New Garage project

Non-Mustang related Projects

Moderator: Moderators

ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New Garage project

Post by ozbilt »

My shed is sloped to allow pressure washing of the floor. Sloped towards the open side (door way in your case).

It was built as a stable block though, we could hose the stalls out. Now the "pony's" that are in there do not piss on the floor ....... :lol:

Does not need much slope & i would also make the center the lowest part so water does not run under benches etc.

Also when designing where everything is to go, try to get everything off the floor so it is easy to keep clean.Everything in my shed is either movable (wheels at one end & place for floor jack at the other), or has a 100mm gap underneath. Most can be blown out with an air hose & then sweep the center.
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

Another thing, if you can get one in there, an "I" beam that runs down the center of your shed. That allows you to have a rolling chain block (inexpensive from the tool shops) in your shed. You will use the crap out of it, trust me..... :thumbs:
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
69candy
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by 69candy »

ozbilt wrote:Another thing, if you can get one in there, an "I" beam that runs down the center of your shed. That allows you to have a rolling chain block (inexpensive from the tool shops) in your shed. You will use the crap out of it, trust me..... :thumbs:
Good idea!!.
I would go with a smooth finish myself, and then just get some paving paint, and put 2 coats on. Makes sweeping, cleaning up spills easy as, and will last ages. I just tipped mine on the floor in patches then rolled it on. My last shed i put non slip paint on it and hate it. To hard to clean, sweep etc. but nothing I can do about it now
jonn
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by jonn »

Hi Kerry, thanks for your comments, much appreciated. Slopping floor gets the tick.

Re the "I" beam, I'm been thinking about mounting points for my chain blocks I use when loading a rotisserie, so its not a big leap to install an "I" beam. Unfortunately the front wall of the shed doesn't have a vertical column in the middle to take the load, so I've been thinking about a temporary column that I would put in place when needed.
jonn
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by jonn »

69candy wrote:Good idea!!.
I would go with a smooth finish myself, and then just get some paving paint, and put 2 coats on. Makes sweeping, cleaning up spills easy as, and will last ages. I just tipped mine on the floor in patches then rolled it on. My last shed i put non slip paint on it and hate it. To hard to clean, sweep etc. but nothing I can do about it now

I agree regarding smooth finish. I have asked a couple of contractors to quote for a smooth finish, so far they are offering a troweled finish.

Should a hand troweled finish be smooth enough or should I go for a helicopter finished surface?
Pinto-Pete
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Pinto-Pete »

jonn wrote:
69candy wrote:Good idea!!.

I agree regarding smooth finish. I have asked a couple of contractors to quote for a smooth finish, so far they are offering a troweled finish.

Should a hand troweled finish be smooth enough or should I go for a helicopter finished surface?
smooth is the go, had a trowled finish in the last shed real pain to keep clean, in the new one helicoptered the crap out of it (till it was black) now am slowly painting it temperature permitting (had forgotten what a real vic winter was like) and it's coming up a treat,was easy to clean before will be even better once finished..
m67gl
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by m67gl »

steel trowel finish is alot smoother than float or wood trowel. Helicopter and finish with a steel trowel by hand will get best results (if they are experienced). takes longer to finish and is slowed by cooler temps etc, which is why they want to mainly use a bull float and get to the pub. Most concretors think a shed is too small for a helicopter, but its your shed.
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

I agree, a shed is far too small for a helicopter........... helicopters need a hanger. Solution........... build a bigger shed.
scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by scott66stang »

nassi wrote:I agree, a shed is far too small for a helicopter........... helicopters need a hanger. Solution........... build a bigger shed.
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
jonn
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by jonn »

nassi wrote:I agree, a shed is far too small for a helicopter........... helicopters need a hanger. Solution........... build a bigger shed.
I floated the idea of a hanger sized shed with the better half, the idea went down like a lead balloon. Maybe next time.
Pinto-Pete
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Pinto-Pete »

jonn wrote:
I floated the idea of a hanger sized shed with the better half, the idea went down like a lead balloon. Maybe next time.
What is ask....?? :poke:
jonn
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by jonn »

:) :) :) Another big (also heavy) mile stone has been achieved, the roller door is now installed.

Given the weight of the 5.3m wide door, I got it professionally installed. it was the best $250 I've ever spent.

:) :) :)
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

jonn wrote::) :) :) Another big (also heavy) mile stone has been achieved, the roller door is now installed.

Given the weight of the 5.3m wide door, I got it professionally installed. it was the best $250 I've ever spent.

:) :) :)
Yep, hernia's are definately more expensive than that :lol:
jonn
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by jonn »

Like most projects, they take awhile. I was told Rome wasn't built in a day. I wish it was, I miss having a shed. We are currently busy digging for the foundations for the in-ground scissor lift. Hopefully next week the slab.

Image Image
gbx78
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by gbx78 »

nice!!!! im jealous!
'You can never test fire too many times.' - Hybrid

'You can never have too many gauges' -
Boofhead