Astro's GG-0351 coupe build.

Create your project threads here if you prefer to keep them out of the regular forums

Moderator: Moderators

Astro
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Re: Just bought my dream car - Work has started....

Post by Astro »

ozbilt wrote:
Astroboy65 wrote:Thanks for the good advice - we had planned to get it on the hoist and cut/replace rust spots, will do the shocks at the same time - I noticed that it has "air ride" shocks in the rear?
First job this week is to get the new exhaust fitted so at least I can move it around without annoying the neighbourhood ;)

Cheers
John
Good, get the exhaust to miss those air shocks & then replace them with KYB shocks (I always say Koni or Bilstein, but KYB are the next best thing). Those air shocks are why your shock mounts & transition panel is such a mess. They put the weight of the rear suspension into a spot that was not designed for it. Shocks are there to control the springs, not to hold the car up.
Kerry

By the looks of the age and wear of components underneath the air rides are probably shagged anyway - KYB's are $150 each for shocks and struts so better off to replace front and rear now, $600 well spent.

Tilt tray is coming on Thurs to pick it up for the exhaust shop, at this stage I'm looking at 2.5" with 'H' pipe and Lukey tri Y's (sound ok?) hopefully the handbrake kit is here by then so they can put it in whilst it's up in the air.

Managed to get the important stuff today - the number plates and in my fav price range too $99 per year :mrgreen: Black and White 65.CRZN

She didn't come with a spare so I'll get a ford pattern 14" from the wreckers too

Cheers

John
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

I was looking at your engine pictures and to me your alternator is on a odd angle. It looks to be bent (obviously the bolts / brackets). Not important at this stage but I want to know if my eyes are deceiving me.
I will someday think of something clever to say.
Astro
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by Astro »

boofhead wrote:I was looking at your engine pictures and to me your alternator is on a odd angle. It looks to be bent (obviously the bolts / brackets). Not important at this stage but I want to know if my eyes are deceiving me.
I'm happy to take more pics - there are some puzzling wiring examples in it but as they faulter and my knowledge gets better, i will be replacing most of it anyway.

John
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

Good luck finding a Ford pattern (5 on 4 3/4") wheel at the wreckers ...... :popcorn:
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
Astro
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by Astro »

ozbilt wrote:Good luck finding a Ford pattern (5 on 4 3/4") wheel at the wreckers ...... :popcorn:
I led with my chin on that one by the looks of it :help:

John
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

Astroboy65 wrote:
ozbilt wrote:Good luck finding a Ford pattern (5 on 4 3/4") wheel at the wreckers ...... :popcorn:
I led with my chin on that one by the looks of it :help:

John
I would have one here if you cannot find one. Need to know width as I have a few differing sizes. All stock Ford rims.
Kerry

Astro
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by Astro »

Thanks Kerry - I will check the wheel size when it comes back tomorrow.
I was able to have a good look at it while it was up on the hoist getting the exhaust fitted:
The bracket which clamps to the rear axle, the tab that the bottom of the shock bolts to must have snapped off and has had a piece welded in its place. I have bought new KYB shocks to put in so will replace it at the same time.

About 3 inches from where the fuel line comes out of the tank, it is pinched pretty much closed, I would like to cut this piece out and put a length of rubber fuel hose in for the short term as I guess I will be replacing the whole line at some stage. Is it ok to do this and if so how much of the old fuel line can you replace with the rubber fuel line?

There are a number of rivets in both the footwells and around the trans tunnel so it will be interesting to remove the carpet etc and see exactly what needs cutting and replacing.

The rails and cross brace have been replaced at some stage and generally the underneath doesn't look too bad - just needs a tidy up after the mechanicals are good, any ideas for products to apply to the underside for further rust protection? Fish oil?

Photos to follow...

Cheers

John
I love big birds - I cannot lie...
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

Moved to projects section
Astro
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by Astro »

Wheel has arrived - thinking about oiling it. Is there a specific oil and way to do it?

Cheers

John
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

Is that a Grant? That style of Grant wheel has issues with the horn button popping off apparently.
Astro
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by Astro »

Yes it is a Grant and hopefully it doesn't have a horn problem :$
Car came back with the new exhaust system today and I took the opportunity to have a drive round the neighbourhood, next thing is to replace all fluids/filters, plugs, coolant - tune it up and see where we are and what's needed for rego.

Cheers

John
gbx78
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by gbx78 »

Astroboy65 wrote:Yes it is a Grant and hopefully it doesn't have a horn problem :$
Car came back with the new exhaust system today and I took the opportunity to have a drive round the neighbourhood, next thing is to replace all fluids/filters, plugs, coolant - tune it up and see where we are and what's needed for rego.

Cheers

John
thats ok u dont need a horn in the centre .. i believe a truck horn will need its own battery and a huge button on the dash :DD

actually i saw something funny at autobarn the other day .. a "wolf whistle" horn .. NOW we're talkin :D
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

I must be lucky ! I have fitted many Grant steering wheels over the years & never had an issue with the horn button.

I will have to go over how I fitted them to see what I did wrong ...... :outtahere:
Kerry

nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

ozbilt wrote:I must be lucky ! I have fitted many Grant steering wheels over the years & never had an issue with the horn button.

I will have to go over how I fitted them to see what I did wrong ...... :outtahere:
Early stuff may have been Ok but the latter stuff using the PCB board pressed onto the hub is pathetic on a hot day.
The signature series is completely different and far superior, somthing I have promissed myself down the track. JMO
Astro
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by Astro »

Now that she's up on the stands, we can see some interesting things..

Looks like av 9" diff?

A different axle on each side:

The guards on both sides have been "massaged" to fit wider rubber plus there is a fair amount of burnout rubber still there.

Still not sure if its the original engine in the bay or something they've put in to sell it - probably never know.

I have to order brake cylinder kits, sway bar rubbers, engine and transmission mounts to replace perished ones.

The new shocks are here - once they are in and the brakes bled and handbrake working, it can go up on the hoist to start replacing the rust spots in the floorpan then it will be sprayed underneath.

Thats the plan for the next few weeks :loopy:

Cheers

John