What should I do with my diff?

Need help on paint, paint prep, welding, engines etc?

Moderator: Moderators

goldscode
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Re: What should I do with my diff?

Post by goldscode »

At least you can boast that you've got a big Woody under your hood !!
xpconnor
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by xpconnor »

goldscode wrote:At least you can boast that you've got a big Woody under your hood !!
I will have when it arrives. ;)

OK, so I am sold on engine and diff combo, does anyone have any opinions on transmission. Happy to get a standard reco as it will help keep costs down a bit but are there any good arguments for an upgrade other then it will shift a bit harder which is probably not what I am looking for in this car. Also is there a difference between C4's I thought I read that some had a different valve body that was more of a winter setup for cars in the colder states and the car would take off in second gear, but then I also thought that you could just control that buy which D position you place the transmission in. :shrug:
"The Mustang is full of Awesome"
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

Tough to say - I would not spend a lot though a kit to help improve the box might be worth the investment since your rebuilding any way and your engine will still have well above stock power and torque.

As far as the year - indeed the very very early C4s did start in second gear then down shifted if needed. I would assume most people would have changed out the body for those gearboxes by now.

Do you have a C4? I have one to sell if your interested.
I will someday think of something clever to say.
xpconnor
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by xpconnor »

Yep I've got one thanks Boof, pulled it out of the car as I was stripping it down. Don't really have any idea what condition it is in but judging by the condition of the engine when I pulled it apart I will just assume it is cooked. Hopefully having it recoed now will mean I will only have to refit it to the car once.

In regards to the valve body is there an easy weigh to tell what's in the box before it is stripped.
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

Yes mate you really want a 67 on box/valve body so you get 1,2 & drive, Ford called this select shift, earlier one, pre 67 were a crusimatic. they have 1 and then to drive positions one that takes off in 1st and an other that takes of in 2nd and skips first. Borg warner model 8 & 12 which Jag used in the 60's were the same. The story is they take off better in slush and snow better in 2nd. That said you want a basic rebuild with a mild shift kit and a good convertor.
xpconnor
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by xpconnor »

So even with the cruiseomatic if you select the correct D position with the shifter you still take off in first?
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

xpconnor wrote:So even with the cruiseomatic if you select the correct D position with the shifter you still take off in first?
Thats correct, I still you mine and see no reason to change it. The only problem with them is that you cannot hold it in second gear and this would be nice on a couple of circuits I know.
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

If you're half mechanical, have a go at building the box yourself using one of the bad shoe productions videos.

Especially if you're just going to put all new clutches and bands in it.
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

Give these blokes a call I've stuff from them in the past they may have a 1, 2,Drive type valve body. I seem to member some early mustang C4 have different numbers of splines as well.

http://www.transwreck.com/
xpconnor
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by xpconnor »

hybrid wrote:If you're half mechanical, have a go at building the box yourself using one of the bad shoe productions videos.

Especially if you're just going to put all new clutches and bands in it.
I did read some good recommendations about those videos and the little clips on YouTube look really good. I think I will have a go at the diff myself using the rebuild vids off YouTube I posted earlier in the thread and if that seems to go smoothly I'll purchase the bad shoe transmission vid and a reco kit and have a got at the transmission. Things will happen slowly on those two fronts for the time being as I have my money tied up with the engine build but I will just keep an eye on parts and keep reading so hopefully it all goes smoothly.

Nassi and Shaun if they still take off in first when the correct D is selected I think that will be fine, then if someone else is driving the car I can just tell them that the D that takes off in second is the correct one and stop them wearing out the rear tyres so quickly. ;)
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

LOL. :lol:
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

Yeah but what if you want to shift it manually 1st-2nd drive ? I'd swap it for sure. C4's are easy to get, I've given them away for a 30 pack of beer.
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

Shaunp wrote:Yeah but what if you want to shift it manually 1st-2nd drive ? I'd swap it for sure. C4's are easy to get, I've given them away for a 30 pack of beer.
You can shift manually 1st-2nd, drive will happen when its ready. You can also downshift manually. You just cant hold 2nd.
xpconnor
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by xpconnor »

nassi wrote:
Shaunp wrote:Yeah but what if you want to shift it manually 1st-2nd drive ? I'd swap it for sure. C4's are easy to get, I've given them away for a 30 pack of beer.
You can shift manually 1st-2nd, drive will happen when its ready. You can also downshift manually. You just cant hold 2nd.
To me an auto is set and forget. If you want to change gears you get a manual. Anyway not even sure what valve body my transmission has yet so I will just build it, drive it and if I don't like it I will look at swapping it over. I had always liked the idea of a gear vendors for the over drive function but they are too expensive and I don't think I will need it when this should cruise at under 2000rpm.
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

There was a bloke on the north side of Brisbane who had F100 parts he used to have 2nd over drives from the US. Not sure what brand, I understand they were like a Laycock ie like Jags and MGs etc had. I suspect they would have been made by BorgWarner.