Random Questions

Technical Discussion on Pre-1973 Mustangs

Moderator: Moderators

goldscode
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Re: Random Questions

Post by goldscode »

Have that in our 66 , used an XW master , fits , but its tight , freaky just how close the hood hinge spring gets but no evidence of a rub mark,

rock66
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by rock66 »

QUESTION ABOUT LIGHTS:(66 model) If the rear tail lights only have 2 wires coming out of them how do you run stop , park and indicators? What have people done in the past for front park lights. I see there is a combo front park/indicator available to go in the front valance?
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

The reason only two wires are used is because the brake and indicator lights are shared. The indicator flashes the brake light whether the brakes are applied or not.

My headlights came with a small lamp insert in the bottom, so I use those for parkers and the valance lights for indicators.
rock66
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by rock66 »

Ok, so I understand the brake / indicator part, but how is it physically possible to also throw a rear park light into the mix when there is only 1 positive wire and 1 earth wire coming out of the light?
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

I don't think the second one is earth. One should be brake/indicator and the other for your parker.
Earth is through the bucket.

rock66
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by rock66 »

hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

Yeah that has the rocker built into it. It should work.
They say it clears the tower - that would be my only concern.
rock66
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by rock66 »

Can anyone tell me the part number for front disc pads. Standard discs with kelsy hayes four pot calipers. Seems to be a few variations but I don't have a sample.Thanks
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

A part number is going to depend on a brand and where you get them from.
eg CJ Pony parts number is BS11 for 65-67
NPD is 2001-1
rock66
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by rock66 »

Thanks nassi
xpconnor
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by xpconnor »

ozbilt wrote:
Shaunp wrote:My 67 had none in the front but they were in the rear, I don't think they were ever there by the look, I fitted some and couldn't get good fit to the guard they seemed too big, the extension kept sliding side ways. I was thinking of tacking washers on the guard to try and hold the bucket where it needs to be, the other Idea I had was to sika the bucket on then tighten the nuts later.
Tacking washers is what I do to both front & rears. Even Q has had that mod ..... ;)
Rather then starting another thread on the quarter extensions I just though it would ask here if anyone has a photo of the washer mod. Just not sure where you weld them and what thickness for the front and rear extensions you use.
"The Mustang is full of Awesome"
Bazza
One Hit Wonder
One Hit Wonder

Post by Bazza »

xpconnor wrote:
ozbilt wrote:
Shaunp wrote:My 67 had none in the front but they were in the rear, I don't think they were ever there by the look, I fitted some and couldn't get good fit to the guard they seemed too big, the extension kept sliding side ways. I was thinking of tacking washers on the guard to try and hold the bucket where it needs to be, the other Idea I had was to sika the bucket on then tighten the nuts later.
Tacking washers is what I do to both front & rears. Even Q has had that mod ..... ;)
Rather then starting another thread on the quarter extensions I just though it would ask here if anyone has a photo of the washer mod. Just not sure where you weld them and what thickness for the front and rear extensions you use.
On my 65 I got the rubber washers that are on the screws used on roof sheeting, long lasting and meant to be under compression.
Put 1, or 2, or 3, over the screw as you attach the extension, whatever you need to make the gap uniform when you tighten the screw. Make sure they are compressed enough that the extension doesn't move when pushed on.
This also stops the screw loosening.
Last edited by Bazza on Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

xpconnor wrote:
ozbilt wrote:
I use 1/4" washers that are around 3/4" in outside diameter. Bolt up the extensions (with rubber strip if they have them) with the washers on the inside (against "clean bare" metal).

Use plain 1/4" UNC nuts.

Just tighten enough so the extension will not move & then tack weld the washers in place. That way when you fit the extensions after painting, they will be in the exact same spot.
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
xpconnor
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by xpconnor »

No rubber seals on mine as they are the early version. I will weld the washers inside the trunk then i can use Bazzas method with some rubber washers to stop the extensions chipping the paint.
"The Mustang is full of Awesome"
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

xpconnor wrote:No rubber seals on mine as they are the early version. I will weld the washers inside the trunk then i can use Bazzas method with some rubber washers to stop the extensions chipping the paint.
The factory also used smaller diameter washers between the extension & body to space them out if needed. That way tightening did not mark the paint.
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet