Project 'Patience' the 64.5 Fastback

Create your project threads here if you prefer to keep them out of the regular forums

Moderator: Moderators

boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: Project 'Patience' the 64.5 Fastback

Post by boofhead »

It is better to convert them. Personally when I see a converted car without the wipers converted I start to wounder if care has been taken in the conversion process, e.g., I start to get suspicious as there are and I have seen a lot of poor conversions. It is worth it if done well.
I will someday think of something clever to say.
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

I agree with Boofhead, they do look better and give a btter sweep. Mine were never done and it hasn't proved to be an issue but I think it completes the car.
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

John. The torque boxes are here. They are the good ones with the extra triangular bracing.
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
Borgche
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by Borgche »

Thanks gents appreciate the input re the wipers guys, this is a useful forum - jury's still out for me though - I might have to see some in the flesh. Leaving them alone I'll lose room in the glove box but it will only house the engineers cert anyway so no great loss there.

Thanks Kerry re the torque boxes I vaguely remember shelling out an extra $12 for the better quality I think they were Dynacorn.

Back to the build: When Patience arrived back from Norm I had to move her into borrowed lodgings. This garage has nice frilly lace curtains on the windows and you could eat off the floor so we had to be on our best behaviour. Just had to slide off the tilt tray and turn 90 degrees into the garage, simple, got to about 20 degrees and she locked would not budge. Me and the young towie busted our guts on one of the hottest summer days I can recall to rock her an inch back or forward. After some head scratching worked out it was the drag locker diff at fault. We blocked the common driveway which did not ingratiate me to the kind owners with me off to pick up a floor jack which was on the other side of a big town in peak hour.

Next task fix or flick the blingy diff:

You can see why I wanted to keep it….. Blingy Mark Williams job… very nice… 40 spline light gun drilled axles blingy brakes, reinforced housing. Only driven to church on Sundays a quarter of a mile away - basically badass… the bad 4.7 ratio no hand brake, a few phone calls and a more road friendly centre and separate handbrake calipers to suit would be more than a whole new 9” and more to the point my 289 will have trouble moving it let alone need this much strength.. pulling it was the answer which proved challenging it weighed a f$#$$$ shitload. Thanks for the hand bro'.

It and the blingy Mikes Transmissions C4 with transbrake (a device which engages reverse and 1st gear at the same time which when switched off releases Armageddon) and the 4000 rpm stall torque converter and anything else I couldn't use went onto the market and had new owners within the fortnight….

My pockets stuffed with new found wealth it was time to go shopping before someone else spent it for me…Oh what bliss:

Rear Axle: Shortly after during a bout of insomnia and trawling mindlessly online I found someone just placed an ad selling an original ’66 mustang K code 9” housing newly sand blasted and painted, custom billet 31 spline axles to suit and a C7AW-E centre with 3.5 LSD newly rebuilt. Thankyou Lord, it must have been all those good deeds. Thought about it for a.. millisecond…the seller even dropped it off...here it is in the car

From the front- its a lot dirtier than I remember it I think I'll hit the centre with a coat of red

It was a breeze installing lighter than my dear grandma. The little 9” now sports Willwood disc brakes and a diff drain.

PS while researching I found this cool link if you are looking for info on 9” diffs
http://www.kevinstang.com/Ninecase.htm

You may notice that I still have the old larger U-bolts have the smaller now and need to fit, have to install brake lines and insulators. The rear suspension is a Cal Tracs mono spring system which I hear is a tad on the hard side. I plan to keep the set up if OK with engineering.
Last edited by Borgche on Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
1965 Fastback A code

I am Borg. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.
ACTstanglover
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by ACTstanglover »

Borgche wrote:Thanks gents appreciate the input re the wipers guys, this is a useful forum - jury's still out for me though - I might have to see some in the flesh. Leaving them alone I'll lose room in the glove box but it will only house the engineers cert anyway so no great loss there.

Thanks Kerry re the torque boxes I vaguely remember shelling out an extra $12 for the better quality I think they were Dynacorn.
I have a RHD conversion on my fastback, wipers left in original location. Yes, wiper motor gets in the way in the glove box, but my glovebox has a stereo in it as well, so no chance of storing anything in it. I do recall though that my engineers report says i have to keep the wiper blade on the right hand side about an inch longer so it covers more windscreen. It is probably too late for me to swap mine over now, but will consider it when getting ready for paint. It doesn't really worry me because i wouldn't drive it in the rain anyway.

Thanks for the info on torque boxes, i will have to get some for my car. Sounds like Dynacorn ones are the way to go
Borgche
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by Borgche »

Thanks for the wiper input.

I'll dig up my invoice to confirm torque box brand for you.
1965 Fastback A code

ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

Borgche wrote:

Dynacorn
Kerry

ACTstanglover
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by ACTstanglover »

ozbilt wrote:
Borgche wrote:

Dynacorn
Thanks Kerry
Borgche
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by Borgche »

3654 1965-1968 MUSTANG TORQUE BOX, COUPE & FASTBACK, RH HEAVY GAUGE DYNACORN (1) @ $59.95 = $59.95
3655 1965-1968 MUSTANG TORQUE BOX, COUPE & FASTBACK, LH HEAVY GAUGE DYNACORN (1) @ $59.95 = $59.95
1965 Fastback A code

ACTstanglover
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by ACTstanglover »

Borgche wrote:3654 1965-1968 MUSTANG TORQUE BOX, COUPE & FASTBACK, RH HEAVY GAUGE DYNACORN (1) @ $59.95 = $59.95
3655 1965-1968 MUSTANG TORQUE BOX, COUPE & FASTBACK, LH HEAVY GAUGE DYNACORN (1) @ $59.95 = $59.95
Thanks
Borgche
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by Borgche »

i've updated a few earlier posts with more pics, cos you all love pics.

Now the rest of the drag parts largess and then some was spent on a power rack and pinion and power steer pump by Total Control Products which ozbilt was kind enough to source for me when he was in the States at the time

I've also collected a nicely converted dash which a gent was selling in Q'land, it came with his car and he wasn't going to use it so now i've got it

If you know about TCP's products you have probably recognized other TCP bits in my previous photos, yes the upper control arms were there, here's a pic though mine don't have the Shelby drop this pic shows, ozbilt tells me the drop is more for race only anyway

Other TCP bits came with the car when it showed up though not complete products like the shock tower caps of their shock tower brace and mount plates of the engine mounts which was initially tantalizing and then ended up just annoying the crap out of me so much I bought them both complete when they just so happened to pop up on ebay or gum tree.

As one the benefits of 'Patience' is I can wait for bits to show up without having to pay an arm and a leg for them.
teh blingiest brace of them all from a man in Manly who decided to recycle his car rather than restore it due to rust
and the mounts from the US from a guy who was upgrading to a different engine

I have a question regarding the TCP power steering pump mounts if anyone is still reading my thread. I plan to put AC on my 289 and have the stock AC mounts. I have a slightly worse for wear Vintage Air AC built in unit (the part that goes behind the dash) which I hope to reuse. I planned on getting a Sanden type compressor upgrade kit to work with it and use my stock AC mounts. Will the stock AC mounts and Sanden compressor and the TCP power steer mount interfere at all?
1965 Fastback A code

Borgche
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by Borgche »

Well well well its just short of a year since my last update and a whole lot more than that from any real work being done on the car. The front panel work was circa 2012 so that has been 3 years, time flies.

I've not been just sitting around though in that time a few things happened some good, some not so good, some absolutely off the #$%# rails. I wont go into the crazy stuff but the high lights are I got married with an instant family, (I was previously living the dream), had baby josh the new apprentice is almost two, started a new job, moved into a new home....so after things have calmed down its now time to get back to old Patience for some much needed therapy...

During this hiatus I've reconsidered the direction a few times. My last reported sidestep was deciding to go RHD, but still keeping the cars bumps and scrapes for another day. Now my thoughts have somehow ended up with Patience in this precarious position....

Some of you may recognize the surroundings and company that's Duggo ranch, ozbilt's place and that's his nice Mach 1, out of the picture on the Autorobot is the green Cuda known as the Hulk and aka other names I won't mention.

I spent the best part of a warm winters day assisting ozbilt making an ever growing piles of debris which was once employed as sound deadener some original some not so original, all tediously hard to get off. I thought this is what sand blasting is for but apparently not. The only thing that kept me going was the fumes, we used heat to make it less impossible to remove and watching the old fella rip through it at a disconcerting pace.

I mentioned the Hulk as I kept looking at it to remind myself I had a good car, that mine was mostly metal and wasn't so bad despite the evidence to the contrary we were uncovering. Bent frame rails, half hearted repairs, some repairs were just wholly made up of the application of the stuff we took off.

this shot half way through, this was a bout the time ozbilt gave me a cuppa to perk me up

In the end it didn't look to bad

I left the ranch feeling a little light headed, with a sense of achievement and with a not so little shopping list to beg borrow buy for the next stage...
Last edited by Borgche on Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
1965 Fastback A code

boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

Nice work. Cleaning the bottom is hard work and you have done very well. Good update.
I will someday think of something clever to say.
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

Excellent stuff. You have chosen the correct path.
:like:
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

Borgche wrote: this shot half way through, this was a bout the time ozbilt gave me a cuppa to perk me up
It was coffee, he was not worthy of my tea ........ :yawn:
Kerry