Grab A Trac leaf springs in OZ?

Technical Discussion on Pre-1973 Mustangs

Moderator: Moderators

cage
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: Grab A Trac leaf springs in OZ?

Post by cage »

Time for a new Avatar Pete. Just saying.
"The simple answer is, even if I have decided I still don't know what to do."
Astro
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by Astro »

Here 'tis Pete

:moon:

Cheers

J
Last edited by Astro on Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
I love big birds - I cannot lie...
Pinto-Pete
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Pinto-Pete »

Now that's farkin funny..... :rotfl:
I'm Batman...

Crane Operator
Mammoet Australia
Rye Park Wind Farm
mungus
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by mungus »

In the end I've ordered a set of Eaton factory replica springs at the FORD optional "improved handling" rate of 135 lbs.
Coming as part of a CJ Pony parts order via sea freight.

That plus the adjustable Konis and a set of White line black bushes I'm getting should do the trick.
They claim their bushes don't squeak like standard poly ones, and they do look fairly stock.

Overall I think my set up should be compliant enough on bumpy roads, but well tightened up over stock.
One small point from the discussion. Eatons don't supply grey painted springs like SD do, only chassis black, even to special order (I emailed them about a stiffer rate as someone recommended it). No problem to rattle can them of course...
Grumpy old git! 68’ S code Fastback
mert
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by mert »

Why would you want grey? Originals were bare heat treated steel, as Eaton provides them now... clamps were bare strap steel, contrasting to the leafs.
8R01S
8R03S-GT
8F01X -EXP500 Repli-bute
8R01C-Cal Special
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

mert wrote:Why would you want grey? Originals were bare heat treated steel, as Eaton provides them now... clamps were bare strap steel, contrasting to the leafs.
That right thats why the are rusty now, they do have the paint color code marks on them though
mungus
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by mungus »

mert wrote:Why would you want grey? Originals were bare heat treated steel, as Eaton provides them now... clamps were bare strap steel, contrasting to the leafs.
By grey I of course mean STEEL grey. Looks far more factory than black. (IMHO). I can always add inspection or coding daubs later on. There are raw steel coloured paints available to make them look about right without rusting.
I have no interest in leaving my brand new expensive springs unpainted on a driver in wet & cold Victoria... (well hopefully one day soon it will be...) Perhaps for a trailered concourse car or a museum piece that sits inside an aircon shed 24/7 I can see the point, but otherwise it makes no sense to me whatsoever.

Maybe things used to be different but these days Eaton only sell them in chassis black, that's according to Eaton themselves in an email I received from them recently. They wont / don't sell them any other way - or so they told me. I specifically asked them if they would make me a set at higher rates not painted black, the answer was YES to the higher rates but NO to the finishes...
Last edited by mungus on Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mert
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by mert »

Well, the original dark heat treated color was more black than grey to my eye... plain oil quenched steel. And varied depending on the day.

Cast iron greys are way too light, a medium/dark phosphate finish similar to many bolts would be closer.

Gun Bluing can also be used to darken the metal once stripped (carefully), and oil finish can then be applied (Boeshield is OK, if not put on too thick, would do each spring separately).
8R01S
8R03S-GT
8F01X -EXP500 Repli-bute
8R01C-Cal Special
mungus
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by mungus »

mert wrote:Well, the original dark heat treated color was more black than grey to my eye... plain oil quenched steel. And varied depending on the day.

Cast iron greys are way too light, a medium/dark phosphate finish similar to many bolts would be closer.

Gun Bluing can also be used to darken the metal once stripped (carefully), and oil finish can then be applied (Boeshield is OK, if not put on too thick, would do each spring separately).
Appreciate the feedback.

There are some darkish charcoal metal paints, they might be a reasonable compromise. I'll have a look at them sometime.
Failing that there is always the option of clear coat satin 2K over bare steel?
I may also do that on my driveshaft when the time comes (keeps the 3 painted rings visible and protected), to keep a factory kind of look, rather than just black. I have no interest in getting under my car everytime I drive it, just to oil up bare metal that's just been washed in road grime.
StephenSLR
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by StephenSLR »

ozbilt wrote:the Maier has the extra springs all stacked at the front & that makes that part of the spring basically solid. That is what I like about them.
-
Bill Maier was racing these cars when they were new. All of them are good people who I have dealt with over the years & still do.
-
For what they cost + import, I would get them made locally.
Is there someone locally (Sydney-side) that could make Maier style springs?

s
Last edited by StephenSLR on Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Borgche
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by Borgche »

I ended up buying the Maier racing leaf springs as a part of a rear suspension package deal direct from Mike Maier Inc in US. Great to deal with

https://mikemaierinc.com/product/mustan ... n-package/

I spoke to a few manufacturers here in Australia, a few said happy to make them though had minimum orders requirements
1965 Fastback A code

I am Borg. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.
StephenSLR
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by StephenSLR »

Borgche wrote:I ended up buying the Maier racing leaf springs
How do you find them?
Borgche wrote:as a part of a rear suspension package deal
What did the package consist of?

s
Borgche
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by Borgche »

Check out the link and the rest of their website in my post. They were very helpful.
1965 Fastback A code

StephenSLR
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by StephenSLR »

Borgche wrote:Check out the link and the rest of their website in my post. They were very helpful.
Cheers,

How do you find the ride with the Maier springs, etc.?

s
Borgche
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by Borgche »

Ahh sorry they are on the car but I'm a long way from finding out how they feel/handle. You can check out the vintage mustang forum for suspension threads, here's one.

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/mod-c ... 686?page=2

Ozbilt took me for a run in Boofs 65 fastback when it was at the ranch. It had the same suspension setup, rear Maier springs with Koni's I think and it ran like it was on rails without feeling harsh on a rough rural road. That sold me on keeping close to the original suspension configuration and avoiding coilovers etc.
1965 Fastback A code