Motorcraft Electronic dizzy and MSD Coil questions

Technical Discussion on Pre-1973 Mustangs

Moderator: Moderators

Edz66Vert
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Re: Motorcraft Electronic dizzy and MSD Coil questions

Post by Edz66Vert »

quote="hybrid" I've heard wireless is pretty unreliable for the cameras. So I was going to look at using Ethernet over Power with mine. Will be interesting to see your results though. How far will the camera be from your access point? Through walls etc? /quote

The picture quality is great, I'm looking at the camera on the internet from the house and the camera is inside at the back of my closed metal garage. ADSL Hub is inside the house, probably 30 m away from camera through single brick wall and metal garage.

This is some shots from inside the garage with me using my laptop looking at the camera over the internet (screen dump), 1st with garage lights on, second no lights except security light outside, 3rd no lights except laptop screen and last is from lounge on laptop with garage closed up.

I have the network 240 power adaptors, they are always an option but I'll see how reliable the wireless side is.
Checkout my car builds - edzv8s.com
66 Convertible Bench Seat AODE 3.5 9"
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

Looks pretty good. I would like the night vision to be a bit clearer, but the picture quality is good.
How many LEDs does the camera have on the front of it? Do you have a pic of it, or a link to them online?
Dwayne
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Dwayne »

Perhaps a sensor light in the shed may help identify any unwanted visitors for the camera.
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

boofhead wrote:No problem.

----------
For those reading - lots of views on this one. Basically my view;
Like for like materials
- Iron/SADI core = Iron gear (comp cams -8 prefix )
- steel billet = Steel gear (comp cams -9 prefix )
If your not sure
- use a composite gear

I would not use a bronze gear on a street engine.
----------

If your dealing with warrantee considerations then use what they recommend and keep a copy of what they tell you.
Comp cams actually don't recommend an Iron gear on a Ductile iron (sadi) shaft they recommend steel, they only recommend cast iron for a cast iron cam which are much softer than a Sadi. A normal iron cam is only flame hardened. Sadi cams would be about 50 rockwell hardness so they are quite hard. Its actually very hard to machine afer the austempering process due its hardness, through with respect to cams, the lobes are ground. I suspect they may cut the cut the gear prior to the process. The process of austempering cam shafts is actually a patented process by a company called Texron in the US.
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

This is always an area of debate. Comp cams -8 cores need an iron gear while -9 need a steel gear. Ford only ever uses a Steel gear on steel core cams. In any case, the idea is for the dist gear to ware faster than the camshaft so an Iron gear is better on a SADI -8 core.
My view. I accept others do not agree. What you will agree on is the extra oil feed to the gear mod is well worth doing plus gears need to mesh correctly. Oil plus correct mesh make it all live longer.
I will someday think of something clever to say.
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

Agree the oil hole is the go. Just saying that Comp actually call out to use "only" steel or composite gear on a Sadi cam not iron, they only recommend and iron gear on an iron flat tappet cam, cause a sadi cam really is not cast iron anymore once its been Austempered, Ive done few now with Sadi cams and steel gears, one is Rods car it has no sign of wear when the Mallory was swapped for the Pro billet , this car has done a good few miles not mention a bit racing.
Its the same a diff gears they run like for like they are the same hardness, many probably, most diff gears would be Sadi, Gm were the first to use the ADI gears. Id be concerned going against the recommendation of the cam manufactures guide lines.
Dwayne
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Dwayne »

Ok, so I've now worked out what the oil mod you're both talking about is and why it's done.

Is this mainly for 351's or also worthwhile in 302's as well?
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

Dwayne wrote:Ok, so I've now worked out what the oil mod you're both talking about is and why it's done.

Is this mainly for 351's or also worthwhile in 302's as well?
All windsors, I do it even on stock engines
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

The secret is
dont use a high volume pump
drill the gallery plug
use the correct gear
Dwayne
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Dwayne »

Shaunp wrote:The secret is
dont use a high volume pump
drill the gallery plug
use the correct gear
Check
Thanks
Done
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

And run a PCV, do not let the crank case pressurize as it push the oil past the disi O ring.

Know that one from experience, don't I Boof ...... :$
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

OZ your a man of infinite experience. The stories you can tell ......

I think some confusion emanates from the manufacturers. For example; using MSD as an example;

Ford Steel Gear PN 85833 - This is basically a factory replacement for steel billet camshaft as came in the factory 302 roller engines.

https://www.msdperformance.com/products ... arts/85833

Look at the features -
- applied an RC-55-60 hardening process
- Melonite coating

This is great for a Steel billet camshaft and no other material (in my view).

So now look at;

Ford EFI 5.0L Steel Distributor Gear - pn 85834 - This one is great for SADI cores

https://www.msdperformance.com/products ... arts/85834

Now it states Steel in the title but it is a ductile iron gear. See the features

- Proprietary formulated ductile iron.
- Melonite QPQ coated reduces friction and initial wear.

and this is where (some of) the confusion exists.

A ductile Iron base with a Melonized coating is the go.

---

Comp cams has contradictions everywhere - in any case if your not sure you use a composite gear as it works with everything. Which is what Comp Cams really wants you to do (US $130.00 a pop).
Last edited by boofhead on Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

I think they are the same gear and only the shaft size is bigger on the 34. I think the 34 is a replacement for a factory roller cam distributor they have a thicker shaft I'm pretty sure. Most MSD's are 470 thou shaft. factor is like 500 or so
Last edited by Shaunp on Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

Yep the 34 gear is a 531 thou bore and 33 is a 467 thou. So the 34 is for the TFI type dissy. Im betting they are same gear with a different size hole
Last edited by Shaunp on Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

Yep - I did not care 351 verses 302 so I did not look - the point was that one was documented (and there are others) as being an Iron material gear even if the title states steel.

Any way, this is a difficult topic. "No one can complain if you use a composite gear" is the saying of the day.