How to tell V8 spindles - need better discs & calipers

Technical Discussion on Pre-1973 Mustangs

Moderator: Moderators

Dwayne
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Re: How to tell V8 spindles - need better discs & calipers

Post by Dwayne »

You can easily get import approval confirmation by emailing your VIN# to vimports@infrastructure.gov.au and they'll send you back a nice letter in a couple of weeks.

In true govt dept ineptitude, they send you the letter in Word format that can be edited and re-printed by someone dodgy trying to sell a car. The buyer would eventually get a nasty surprise when they went for registration!!!
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

You can modify any electronic format really, so word is not that much of an issue.
Edz66Vert
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Edz66Vert »

quote="Dwayne" There's a guy on facestalk selling a new UPC kit for $650 if that's what your after:

Facebook - XK XL XM XP Fords for sale/quote

Thanks Dwayne, finally found it, it was a long way down. Good price if I was after that kit, but too small for me as it has the 298 discs, I'd like 320-330 and I want to use braided lines and the callipers I already have. Thanks for spotting it for me though!
Checkout my car builds - edzv8s.com
66 Convertible Bench Seat AODE 3.5 9"
Edz66Vert
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Edz66Vert »

Good idea, I'll confirm the numbers on the plate and chase them for a letter, thanks for the link.
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

Edz66Vert wrote:
Dwayne wrote:From the brake mounting surface outwards:

49.16mm
31.70mm
19mm (just before the thread)
Cool, same as mine so they must be V8. The only reason I thought they may be off a 6 was because the guy I bought the car off said it was a 6 cylinder car because the vin had a BC in it when the B does not actually exist, rego just wrote it down wrong. I'll fix it when I re-register the car (but that may be a drama!).

If your car were 6 cylinder it would be a "T" code, I am wondering if the previous owner did not confuse the "T" for Metuchen as being "T" code.
Edz66Vert
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Edz66Vert »

Not sure how he thought it was a 6, he also said originally white (M).

Number on QLD Mod plate matches door and guard - 6T08C138752 so v8, I think someone confused 8 with B and repeated it. This is the guard vin, I've cleaned it up since this shot, clear coated it (so they can see it when I get them to update it at rego) and resprayed the black around it neatly.

This is the decoded data - 66 Conv V8

Not sure about the colour, looks like an A or H to me, not an M? What do you think? I had to remove the paint gently with a brass wire wheel but I think I still scratched the aluminium.

Last edited by Edz66Vert on Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

Maybe a "k". That would make it Nightmist Blue. A very nice colour.
Edz66Vert
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Edz66Vert »

nassi wrote:Maybe a "k". That would make it Nightmist Blue. A very nice colour.
Thanks Nassi, could be a K, didn't think of that! Nightmist blue is a bit dark for me. Anyway, it's now a cobra blue with white stripes, non-original and I bought it because I like the colour, stripes and scoops. I'll repaint it next year when I finish paying for the mechanical upgrades (about $18k so far) because it's a 'good from 2 m paint job' but it will stay the same colours. I can do all the prep and body work and just get a friend to paint it for about $3k.

Last edited by Edz66Vert on Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

nice looking car. Does not need paint from that view.
Drive it and enjoy is my advice.
I will someday think of something clever to say.
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

+1 for that. Looks very nice.
Edz66Vert
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Edz66Vert »

Yes, I bought it because of the colour and tough looks, can't believe the number of total strangers who talk to me at lights, servos, shops etc, never had that in any of my previous cars.

The front shot is the true colour, don't have a good rear shot yet, that's from the carsales add and it's pretty washed out and has the old exhaust tips. Now has the wide rectangular GT Tips but not sure if I can fit them to the new 2.5 in system planned.

The paint has cracks on top of the guards and in the flare area from wheels rubbing and being rolled, and has a lot of silicone dots so only good from a metre or 2 away.
Nuts
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Nuts »

Edz66Vert wrote:Yes, I bought it because of the colour and tough looks, can't believe the number of total strangers who talk to me at lights, servos, shops etc, never had that in any of my previous cars.
It's not the colour, although it is nice. IT"S A MUSTANG Ed! That's why people look. They know you ditched some Holdons to get one!! Unlike Jacko who just can't get the Holdon rust out of his veins even though he is greedy and has two!! Being that close to a Holdon, he needs to be careful he doesn't end up with two Rustangs!! Well done Ed!
My Motto - Don't get Caught! If you do, Blame Someone Else!

MUSTANG - Fantastic Not Plastic
Edz66Vert
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Edz66Vert »

Did well yesterday. Tony at Capital Classics in Hume here in Canberra sells Mustang parts lent me a V8 stub axle for setting up my brake conversion and had some left over new KYB front shocks that I picked up for $30. Also had some spare rear gas shocks that were still good that he threw in.

Bought my new discs, the car should stop now, BF V8 322 mm (12.7") 28 mm thick. Canberra Brake and Clutch, retails was $348, $165 ea. Also bought new S/S lines as I have a mate coming Thursday who has all the gear and used to do brakes for a living.

And a free brand new VH40 from my best mate!
Edz66Vert
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Edz66Vert »

Dwayne wrote:You can easily get import approval confirmation by emailing your VIN# to vimports@infrastructure.gov.au and they'll send you back a nice letter in a couple of weeks.

In true govt dept ineptitude, they send you the letter in Word format that can be edited and re-printed by someone dodgy trying to sell a car. The buyer would eventually get a nasty surprise when they went for registration!!!
Thanks Dwayne for the tip to send in for import papers, done and the automated email response said it takes around 20 working days. I laughed when I was writing the email, I worked 5 desks from these guys a couple of years ago when I worked there for 12 months.
Last edited by Edz66Vert on Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Edz66Vert
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Edz66Vert »

Trial fit of new disc, looks like it will work. Now to buy new pads and knock up some adapter plates to go with the half bracket I already have.

This shot shoes how much bigger the BF Falcon/Territory discs are compared to XF. The pads are BF Falcon v VB Commondore.

Last edited by Edz66Vert on Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.