Edz 66 Convertible

Create your project threads here if you prefer to keep them out of the regular forums

Moderator: Moderators

Edz66Vert
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Re: Edz 66 Convertible

Post by Edz66Vert »

Brake guy didn't show, he apologised and said next Saturday! So I worked on turning the battery tray and fitting the 24" big block alloy radiator. Here's some pics, I use nutserts where ever possible, if you haven't used them before, great idea! The 3rd pic shows a nutsert in a piece of the front I cut out that used to hold the old radiator in. Next to it is a used one and a new one before it crushes and spreads. Very cheap, $45 for a kit with 100 nutserts on ebay. I have the pro tool that is a lot heavier duty than the ones that come in the kits, I found the kit one locks up a lot when trying to remove it.

I re-used the nut clips from the 67 battery tray to attach the top bracket, now the bolt screws though and holds the bonnet catch into the front apron and then tightens into the bracket, no nut needed (and you can't get a spanner in there anyway). I'm attaching the battery tray with nutserts once I rotate the bracket 90 degrees.

I removed the steering box today while the motor is out waiting for the new brake lines and had an unpleasant surprise - the steering wheel was about to fall off!!! Revell Steering at Fyshwick (who I would not recommend) had my car for 8 days to fit a secondhand steering box in December. It sat for 7 days until they got around to doing it (my mate had a similar bad experience). Thinking back now, I should have reconditioned the box before fitting it, no idea why they didn't suggest it? Anyway, took them 10 hours to remove and fit it (exhaust manifold had to come off and had to lift motor). They finally finished it and I turned up to pick it up, paid $800 and drove off. When I started it, it sounded a bit like a truck, weird note and as I drove off, it had no power, felt like it was missing 4 cylinders. Drove it for 5 minutes thinking it might be cold but it didn't improve so i took it back quickly before they closed. The boss called out the mechanic who worked on it and asked him if he test drove it and he said yes, drove fine. I said, you must only drive a 4 cylinder because I'm missing 4! The boss got me tp start it and put it in gear and try to drive forward and it just stalled. So they started swapping leads on the RH bank where they had pulled the manifold off.No improvement. I said wait a minute, googled the firing order for a 351W (different to a 289/302) and said set it to this! They did and it purred like a kitten. Anyway, tonight, pulled off the mustang cap on the steering wheel and this is what I saw - I was able to tighten it 3 turns by hand! Ready to fall off and kill me, I'll be bitchin big time to them tomorrow.

BTW, if you're looking for a free image hoster that's better than photobucket, try Postimage.org
Checkout my car builds - edzv8s.com
66 Convertible Bench Seat AODE 3.5 9"
jbb
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by jbb »

67fastysm wrote:mate go the hack and try and cut them off !

try this out, if i can get pics to load:
Burnt it at end February fighting bushfire

Last edited by jbb on Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:06 am, edited 3 times in total.
Nuts
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Nuts »

Holy Shit!? How are you going now John? Had a chat to Ian last weekend and he said you copped a bit of a beating..
My Motto - Don't get Caught! If you do, Blame Someone Else!

MUSTANG - Fantastic Not Plastic
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

Nutserts are great - I used steel more often than not but the alloy are easier to crush.

JBB - fark - that is a bad one. Hope you get better soon. I can just feel the pain that must have given you.
I will someday think of something clever to say.
cage
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by cage »

F'me JBB that must have hurt like a bitch for a long time. Hope you are doing better now.
"The simple answer is, even if I have decided I still don't know what to do."
jbb
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by jbb »

cage wrote:F'me JBB that must have hurt like a bitch for a long time. Hope you are doing better now.

It hurt like hell, but actually that wasn't the worst of it .
It was the fire on feb 17 near Queanbeyan and we were some of the first trucks sent the head it off.
It turned to shit .... the wind changed and cannonballed the fire at us.
I was outside the truck and was crushed between 2 fire trucks and trapped out there whilst the fire burnt over the top of me and kept going . They finally moved the trucks and got me out and rushed to hospital.
Burnt hand, burns to right shoulder and arm, got away without broken pelvis luckily.
Ended up with severe soft tissue bruising and hip joints put out of place a bit . 7 weeks later and burns are good but still sore as hell from bruising and sore hip joints.
Hopefully good in a few more weeks .

At least I can honestly say that I know how it feels to be hit by 2 trucks ??
Astro
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by Astro »

You must have said "Fire Truck" more than twice when it happened, JBB ?

Cheers

J
I love big birds - I cannot lie...
Edz66Vert
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Edz66Vert »

This is my gearshift floor plate in the 66, it doesn't match the big dot/little dot shifter, anyone know what it's out of? The previous builder just drilled holes in it in line with the 66 shifter.
Checkout my car builds - edzv8s.com
66 Convertible Bench Seat AODE 3.5 9"
Nuts
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Nuts »

It's a 69 Shifter. I have a correct 65-7 shifter here.

Ausjacko
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Ausjacko »

JBB, I must have got the story wrong. I thought you said you burnt your hand smoking- doh!
'68 J-code GT Fastback
'67 S-code GT coupe, 'Pink Bitz' formerly known as 'Hookin' up a brother'
'69 M_____ GTS Fastback 'Blasted'
Nuts
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Nuts »

Ausjacko wrote:JBB, I must have got the story wrong. I thought you said you burnt your hand smoking- doh!
Oh Shit! I thought you said Stroking??? My hearing isn't too good!

jbb
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by jbb »

Astro wrote:You must have said "Fire Truck" more than twice when it happened, JBB ?

Cheers

J
don't remember saying it but i do remember squealing like a stuck pig :snigger:
jbb
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by jbb »

Nuts wrote:
Ausjacko wrote:JBB, I must have got the story wrong. I thought you said you burnt your hand smoking- doh!
Oh Shit! I thought you said Stroking??? My hearing isn't too good!

Nuts .... that would be some serious friction created to burn like that- just imagine?
MustangMedic
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by MustangMedic »

Gotta love a good thread hijack!.
JBB, looks like it's gona be the other hand for long time.....nasty.
Cheers,
Ash
Cheers.
Medic
(Always work smarter not harder!!!)
67 C Code coupe
Dwayne
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Dwayne »

Edz66Vert wrote: Image
Is the lower rad support bracket in the right spot? I thought they sat down in the V.