New Heart for Scarlet

Create your project threads here if you prefer to keep them out of the regular forums

Moderator: Moderators

boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: New Heart for Scarlet

Post by boofhead »

Calling GBX, Post is due. :poke:
I will someday think of something clever to say.
gbx78
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by gbx78 »

boofhead wrote:Calling GBX, Post is due. :poke:
Sorry Boof!! Ive been busy being mr handyman and tiling my kitchen..

But good timing as a few goodies arrived today.. but im behind on posting all the other bits from a few months back.

Ok lets start with.. heads

So got my heads at the earlier vpw sales when i got my block. When its cheaper than getting it from anywhere else and then some you dont ask you just click buy it now!!.

Afr 220c 72cc to help with lowering compression although i didnt realise you could get the 58cc and use different pistons..but doesnt matter this just means i must remain boosted..which i wouldnt have it any other way!!

Parts list nearly complete. Some larger things like stroker kit, aod stengthening or 4r70w swap, custom headers, block machining, larger injectors and 2 summit carts..still remaining but waiting for sale and/or someone to buy my guitar gear so i can move forward.

Ill post cam and lifters next
'You can never test fire too many times.' - Hybrid

'You can never have too many gauges' -
Boofhead
lukep6470
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by lukep6470 »

I have a new set of 7/16 ARP rocker studs going cheap :-)
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

Cool - decent sized heads for your 363. Over 300cfm will be helpful with your target. All with a small cam so she will be very streetable when off the boost. So maybe never :lol:
gbx78
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by gbx78 »

lukep6470 wrote:I have a new set of 7/16 ARP rocker studs going cheap :-)

My summit cart is really just gaskets..some mufflers and other odds and ends..

Boofhead
gbx78
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by gbx78 »

boofhead wrote:Cool - decent sized heads for your 363. Over 300cfm will be helpful with your target. All with a small cam so she will be very streetable when off the boost. So maybe never :lol:
Yes !! Should be quite streetable similar to what i have now but geared and handle alot more boost should i give it a boot full which isnt often.. its the best of both worlds really.. somewhat.. or am I just trying to justify it hahaha..

Boofhead
gbx78
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by gbx78 »

So after some lengthy chats with Mike at Mike Jones Cams in the USA (thanks boof) i pulled the trigger on one of his custom cams as recommended based on my setup and decided while i was at it to get his link lifters to suit. Got a discount (these days its all about discounts) and pretty much worked out a touch more than off the shelf (due to usa shipping really) and i think more specific to my setup.. (im not for the shelf vs custom cam debate.. it is what it is and decided to go with it based on recommendations)

Mech roller cam was recommended. .which i understand may need yearly maintenance, as in rechecking rockers for adjustments etc but that works well for me as i like to tinker and rather than buying more china crap i can just add it to the maintenanve shedule to keep me busy.

So to compliment that are his roller link bar lifters. When the time comes i will check for pushrod length.

Havent pulled them out of the box.. no need just yet but here are some box pics :D

Fine!!

Im seriously on a roll with discounts.. my spreadsheet is laid out with actuals and basic formulas based on discounts and total split out with shipping and various alternative stores to make sure im getting best
Price.. this includes carts for comparisons..and some basic formulas
..ive saved a few thousand so far from sales and discounts... im hooked

Boofhead
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

Good stuff. The cam is a little smaller than I had thought though being an inverse lobe it acts larger than it is with all the advantages of a smaller camshaft. For this effort I wanted the cam to be right hence going to Mike to design and grind the cam was the go. Glad because the goals are quite broad.
Dwayne
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Dwayne »

Are you going to post the assembly when you get to that stage?
gbx78
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by gbx78 »

Dwayne wrote:Are you going to post the assembly when you get to that stage?
Ill post pics and progress along the way but not officially document a build process.

Boofhead
Pinto-Pete
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Pinto-Pete »

gbx78 wrote:
Havent pulled them out of the box.. no need just yet but here are some box pics :D

Really,...?
I'm Batman...

Crane Operator
Mammoet Australia
Rye Park Wind Farm
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

This build has been planned out with the goal of all elements working together.
For example 363cid at 6000 rpm needs a head csa of 2.524 so the AFR220 has a port flow of 300cfm at reasonable lift figure where port speed will be 282fps which is just below my chosen limit of 300fps. The head has a acsa of 2.685 so it can work well to 6230 rpm before port speed issues may arrive. Just illustrates that these big motors really do need/work well with bigger heads than most consider appropriate.
Dwayne
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Dwayne »

How do you factor in the various boost levels for your calculations? Is it generally just a change in the formulas or experience based tweaking.
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

Very good question. Hope I can answer it well enough.
What I do is define the engine as a 100 percent VE motor and work the calcs as a NA setup. The camshaft will be very different specification for a boosted engine other than that and choosing on the larger side for the exhaust system it is an NA build.
Boost in itself does not necessarily mean more power. Boost is showing you there is a restriction in the intake system. For example, engine 1 and engine 2 are both the same size. Now engine 1 has a 165 head and engine 2 has a 205 head, same SC on both with the same highish rpm, engine 1 will show higher boost than engine 2 simply because the intake on 2 has less flow restriction. Now engine 2 will likely be a better performing engine.
One positive is boost does lessen port flow considerations to a limited extend since it jams air in rather than using momentum of air mass during overlap to improve VE. aka you can get away with smaller heads on a forced induction engine.
Last edited by boofhead on Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dwayne
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Dwayne »

Yep, good explanation.

So better heads = less boost ... and therefore less strain on other components like pistons & head gaskets etc.