Diggers 69

Create your project threads here if you prefer to keep them out of the regular forums

Moderator: Moderators

ChilliChadd
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Re: Diggers 69

Post by ChilliChadd »

Nice build Digger, well done :thumbs:
Chadd

_______________COUPDUP_______________
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

Digger wrote:So Jeff Speegle says red oxide on the front, batch primer from the firewall back for a feb 69 SJ Rcode, batch primer is black as far as I can tell with a metallic fleck. i know its a mix of paint but damn how do you reproduce that?
That would be Jeff, Lol. However his info probably was taken out of context as he is very knowledgeable on these cars. He does talk fast & gives a lot of info to decipher.

What is underneath depends on the factory & when it was built. Both Dearborn & Metuchen used "batch" paint (basically slops) for painting under the floor pans. San Jose used red oxide primer only as they did not need extra paint for cars that were destined for the so called "no snow" states.

The paint section of a production line at the time was set up with 44 gal drums of paint stored under the floor with lines coming up to the spray booth that had quick connects.

A body shell approaches on the line, the painter looks at the sheet to see what colour it is ( car is already primed & sanded) he connects his gun to the appropriate line & pulls the trigger to get the old colour out & the new coming through (this is why sometimes you can find an odd colour on the rad support of a car you are restoring as that is what he aimed the gun at). He (actually 2 of them) then paints the car with the first coat & the car moves along until it arrives at the next stage where the second & last coat is applied. This all happens in about 10 mins, the car moving along in a heated area that is baking the paint.

When the drum is empty enough that it will not feed the gun above, the remainder is poured into another drum so it gets mixed colours, even some metallics. This is what is sprayed over the primer on the underside before the car arrived at the final paint station mentioned above.

However just to confuse the issue, Q (Foresight's CJ) was a "pre production" car built in Metuchen. It had red oxide underside with the Silver Jade over spray. The car was then very heavily undercoated (proof coat, rustproofing) so the red oxide was not visible. I think the reason it did not get the slop paint over the red oxide is because it was built on a side line because production had not really started on the 69 model year when it came down the line. That is my guess on that one.

So to give you a short answer (after this long winded reply) any green/grey to black will work on a Dearborn or Metuchen built car of that era.
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
ponyride
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by ponyride »

That's a good read ozbilt, now I understand a whole lot more about why they are the way they are.

Replicating that should be fun Digger, and it must be handy to know it's not an exact science.

Good luck with it.
Rick.

Old things amuse all minds.
Digger
Bush Mechanic
Bush Mechanic

Post by Digger »

I agree,

That's one of the best desciptions I've heard about how it was done, thanks ozbuilt. Understanding the process helps in trying to replicated what was done. I think I'm getting there in understranding what I need to do.
Digger
Bush Mechanic
Bush Mechanic

Post by Digger »

The pictures of Q's undercarriage have been invaluable in understanding what we need to do. "I should name this build"

A new rim blow steering wheel is on its way from rim blow buddy US. Mine was cactus, $2K to rebuild from my local. With the US dollar low it's a steal. $1.05 wow, time to buy up.

Fitting the front guards and bonnet atm gaps are shocking. But my brother in law/panel beater just bought a volkswagon beetle. Another project. I must redirect him back to the Mustang.

I'll have photos after Easter.

Cheers Guys
San Jose
Sportsroof
428-4V CJ Ram Air
63C Mach 1 Sportsroof
W5 Meadowlark Yellow
3AA Black Clarion Knit/Vinyl Mach 1 Hi-Back Bucket Seats
A 3.5 Standard Ratio
6 Four-Speed Close Ratio Manual Transmission
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

Have to rectify my post above. I got it wrong again. Dearborn was the only batch paint factory. Metuchen was red oxide as well apparently (see Q) but most from that factory had undercoating applied by the dealers (proofcoat in Aussie speak) so it was hard to tell. The rest of the info is relevant. :)

Another interesting piece, the guys that sprayed the red oxide or batch paint, did so with spray guns that looked like small pressure washers that blasted the paint on & it rained down on them. They wore rain gear with rain hats but still must have looked a sight when they finished work & had "cleaned up"... 8O
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
Pinto-Pete
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Pinto-Pete »

if you dont mind digger, how much was the rim blow wheel would love one but just cant cop the national debt prices
I'm Batman...

Crane Operator
Mammoet Australia
Rye Park Wind Farm
Nuts
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Nuts »

Hey Pete, Scott Drake now make the rim blow wheels. Talk to Mark at Capital Classics, he has the details.
My Motto - Don't get Caught! If you do, Blame Someone Else!

MUSTANG - Fantastic Not Plastic
Pinto-Pete
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Pinto-Pete »

thanks for the tip nuts,will do....
I'm Batman...

Crane Operator
Mammoet Australia
Rye Park Wind Farm
Digger
Bush Mechanic
Bush Mechanic

Post by Digger »

Pinto-Pete wrote:if you dont mind digger, how much was the rim blow wheel would love one but just cant cop the national debt prices
I think it will be about $1150=$1200 delivered to my door.
San Jose
Sportsroof
428-4V CJ Ram Air
63C Mach 1 Sportsroof
W5 Meadowlark Yellow
A 3.5 Standard Ratio
unilec5544
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by unilec5544 »

Must admit I have never heard of a rimblow steering wheel, so looked on google, is this one just the rubber insert.

http://www.therimblowbuddy.com/catalog/ ... 056177.htm
Digger
Bush Mechanic
Bush Mechanic

Post by Digger »

unilec5544 wrote:Must admit I have never heard of a rimblow steering wheel, so looked on google, is this one just the rubber insert.

http://www.therimblowbuddy.com/catalog/ ... 056177.htm
It's the complete wheel ready to bolt on. Mine was pretty much beyond repair. They just had a nice core come it so I thought I'd grab the chance.

http://www.therimblowbuddy.com/catalog/ ... 056096.htm
San Jose
Sportsroof
428-4V CJ Ram Air
63C Mach 1 Sportsroof
W5 Meadowlark Yellow
A 3.5 Standard Ratio
Digger
Bush Mechanic
Bush Mechanic

Post by Digger »

After my rant in the shed, back to the Mustang.... I received a reconditioned rimblow wheel from Rimblow Buddy today. I am very impressed with the quality and can highly recommend them. A few pics.

San Jose
Sportsroof
428-4V CJ Ram Air
63C Mach 1 Sportsroof
W5 Meadowlark Yellow
A 3.5 Standard Ratio
xpconnor
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by xpconnor »

How much did you pay for the wheel Digger. Or shouldn't I ask?
"The Mustang is full of Awesome"
Foresight
Zebras for hire
Zebras for hire

Post by Foresight »

They look awesome when they have been refurbished dont they :drool:
Cheers,
Lee & Q
69 428 mach 1 - Guess who...it's Q!