Project 'Patience' the 64.5 Fastback

Create your project threads here if you prefer to keep them out of the regular forums

Moderator: Moderators

ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Project 'Patience' the 64.5 Fastback

Post by ozbilt »

Ausjacko wrote:AND the issue?
Pete, is she looking at me?
The Queen is & she does not look impressed ......... :poke:
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

Off to the blaster's on Monday ....... :cheer:

Finished the front A pillars ......

Fitted the rear bulkhead panels, twin exhaust reinforcements & all the rear seat (& fold down) brackets .......

Wheel arch installed ......

John came over & paint stripped all the outers of the loose panels (they will have the edges & insides blasted), I primed them today so the blaster can see not to do those places .......

John also came over the other day & we modded the gas tank. I like the way it came up ........

Kerry

Husky65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Husky65 »

That tank looks good. How did you raise the edges to make the mounting area flat?
Last edited by Husky65 on Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

Husky65 wrote:That tank looks good. How did you raise the edges to make the mounting area flat?
I had help .........

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/or ... e590e2.jpg

Basic hammer & dolly work. The tanks are made of very supple steel, easy to work ....... :smile:
Kerry

Husky65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Husky65 »

All you need for working on cars. Two screwdrivers and big f off hammer :spoton:
xpconnor
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by xpconnor »

ozbilt wrote:
Husky65 wrote:That tank looks good. How did you raise the edges to make the mounting area flat?
I had help .........

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/or ... e590e2.jpg

Basic hammer & dolly work. The tanks are made of very supple steel, easy to work ....... :smile:
Ha, love how he says BASIC hammer and dolly work. Basic is what monkeys like myself do. You make it sound too easy Kerry.
"The Mustang is full of Awesome"
scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by scott66stang »

Nice work!! Really like that tank mod, do the tapped threads go all the way through or stop short so fuel doesnt leak back through the screw threads?
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

When I did mine, from memory I used some of the metal that I had cut out of the hole to weld in to the low parts to make it flat.
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

scott66stang wrote:Nice work!! Really like that tank mod, do the tapped threads go all the way through or stop short so fuel doesnt leak back through the screw threads?
You can buy a kit from EFI Hardware

https://www.efihardware.com/image/4956/ ... V-MRA_4956

Borgche
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by Borgche »

Yeah milestone off to the blasters.
Re the tank Kerry made the 20 minutes of dolly work look all to easy. Yeah it's a EFI-hardware kit I picked up from another member here, very neat kit. We originally pulled the pump module down as we tried enlarging the original pick up/sender hole on an old tank and reconfigure the pump but abondened this after we figured fuel slosh would be an issue.
1965 Fastback A code

I am Borg. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

Car is back from the blaster & came up nice ........ :thumbs: I picked up the loose panels the day it was finished ........

Right door needs some work in the front corner, no big deal. The corner has already been formed, just have to cut out the damage & weld the new piece in. Update that in a few days .....

Other door is great (is a repo) but needs work on the skin shape & edges to make the look & fit decent .....

Fenders will need some minor work (rust in the rear along with cracks & accident damage) .....

Although we broke the drought by trying to move a car shell in bare metal. Came back to Duggo after 4 working days. Good thing was while it sat at the blasters, the boss found some spots that were missed, so they were taken care of before it left .....

At the moment completing a few last welding spots & a little plastic filler before priming ........

Nothing major was found under the paint, so that was a plus. Hopefully it will all be in primer by Thursday evening.
Kerry

Husky65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Husky65 »

Borgche wrote:Yeah milestone off to the blasters.
Yeah it's a EFI-hardware kit I picked up from another member here, very neat kit.
yeah me! Good to see it worked out
Husky65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Husky65 »

Hey Kerry what's with the holes in the seat risers? Don't think I've seen that before
Borgche
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by Borgche »

Husky65 wrote:
Borgche wrote:Yeah milestone off to the blasters.
Yeah it's a EFI-hardware kit I picked up from another member here, very neat kit.
yeah me! Good to see it worked out
Hey Husky yep the pump kit worked a treat thanks for that. PS I read your thread over the weekend on that other site, very inspiring. Not many helpful posts other than yours and a heap less hooters, go figure. Holes in the seat risers were a feature of the 1964 and a 1/2 cars (the early production 65's which finished in July '64). This car has was built in October 1964 not long after they retooled the production line so was in the first weeks of mustang fastback production, it has a few left over parts from that early model like the different wiper mounts. The seat risers were actually thanks to Ozbilt's plasma cutter but what the hell. Also easier to install insulation.

Hybrid, the weld on steel ring of the fuel pump kit threads do not go all the way through. Its a nice kit though i intend to mod the set up so the feed and return lines pass through the tank out of the front of the tank rather than through he boot (trunk for the US crowd).

So I now have a rust free (not rust for free) shell. Woohoo!!!!! think I'm gonna dance now.....

Also took the Mrs and 3yo to Castle Hill show over the weekend, that might of been a mistake as now the wife is veto-ing the white colour choice. Just because I'm spending the mortgage money its like she has a say!!!!
Last edited by Borgche on Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
1965 Fastback A code

I am Borg. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

Husky65 wrote:Hey Kerry what's with the holes in the seat risers? Don't think I've seen that before
64 1/2 Mustangs had the holes. I cut them out of the later ones, to not only give access to floor repair, but also gives a handy spot for an amp or computer (screwed to a piece of board glued to the floor).

You can see the holes in this photo of the early production line. The picture also gives up the welding sequence of the body assembly ........

Kerry