Projext X 1967 Fastback

Create your project threads here if you prefer to keep them out of the regular forums

Moderator: Moderators

rkmiller73
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Re: Projext X 1967 Fastback

Post by rkmiller73 »

OK update: voltage regulator on back side of cluster was bad. Replaced, but now some of the wires on the back of the cluster are not showing continuity. So I ordered a new wiring harness that should be in next week. The old harness looked good so I used it, but that was a mistake. All the other wiring in the car is brand new.

Hopefully this fixes the problems.
rkmiller73
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by rkmiller73 »

Well, tried to get the A/C charged up today - Bad expansion valve and the engine heats up too much.

Also definitely has a leak, rear main or oil pan.

Exhaust manifold leak on passenger side.

A new expansion valve should be in later this week.

I am running the 3 core big block reproduction radiator with shroud and the Cobra Jet big block reproduction clutch fan.

Should I get a pusher fan to go in front of the radiator/condenser and if so I will need a bigger alternator.

What brands work best for fans and what do I have to do to the wiring to run a 100 amp alternator or larger?
I think a lot of those are internally regulated and have one wire.

Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated!
Last edited by rkmiller73 on Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lukep6470
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by lukep6470 »

When I installed my 100amp 1 wire I just made sure all the other wires were taped off and ran a thicker wire to the battery from the alternator.

You can put an electric fan in front of the radiator and trigger it from the compressor relay. That way it only runs when the compressor is running.

Simples!!
Nuts
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Nuts »

Ryan, in my experience, that radiator/shroud/fan combo should keep it plenty cool. Is the fan pushing plenty of air? If so, a fan in front is only going to restrict the air. If not, then maybe your clutch fan thingy is faulty (technical term). If that's ok, then maybe this engine needs a bigger, better radiator.
My Motto - Don't get Caught! If you do, Blame Someone Else!

MUSTANG - Fantastic Not Plastic
rkmiller73
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by rkmiller73 »

After doing some research and talking to my Ford dealer back home who let me use one of his shop lifts to put the running gear on a couple years ago (has it been that long!), I am going to check the coolant system for an air bubble, then will probably replace the thermostat, check the distributor advance, double check to make sure the fan is on the right way, check the head gaskets, may end up pulling the water pump and then have a large shot of whiskey.

Brand new items: Radiator 3 core 24 inch reproduction big block radiator, high flow aluminum water pump, Edelbrock aluminum heads and intake, mild cam from comp cams, new fan shroud, new cobra jet style 16 inch fan and new fan clutch (fan clutch was working), new radiator hoses,

Rebuilt: distributor rebuilt and re-curved slightly for more power according to what the FE forum guys all recommended, engine tanked, bored, balanced.

So the car has been ready to bring back home for a couple weeks, but the only people I know I can trust to help me fix these issues are back home as I don't have a full mechanical style shop and I am by myself up here. I need to make sure everything mechanically is good prior to coming back up to the Kansas City area. Then I can finish all the other little things that always get in the way.
Nuts
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Nuts »

Ryan, it could be something as simple as the thermostat being in backwards.

rkmiller73
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by rkmiller73 »

OK so for today:

Overheating issue - air in the system, flushed the system today - also the temp gauge reads a little warmer than actual temps with a mechanical guage.

Exhaust manifold at pipe leak - the nut worked a little loose and it tightened up OK - not sure if this will happen again.

AC expansion valve is on its way, should have it fixed next Monday when I can get down there again.

Oil leak - upon further running the engine it appears to be the rear of the intake as before. last time I put a lot of RTV at the back side edge before putting the intake back on. Not sure what else to do, but I am fairly frustrated with it. I will ask Dale my ford dealer that helped me with it last time.

Any ideas on the intake would be welcome!

Overall a much better day today.
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

If the block or heads have been decked, it can cause the cork gasket to get squeezed out of place.
A lot of people ditch the cork gaskets and just use a big bead of silicone.
Pinto-Pete
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Pinto-Pete »

+ 1 on the Silastic, the savior of Clevelands for nearly 50 years
I'm Batman...

Crane Operator
Mammoet Australia
Rye Park Wind Farm
Ausjacko
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Ausjacko »

ditch the cork!
'68 J-code GT Fastback
'67 S-code GT coupe, 'Pink Bitz' formerly known as 'Hookin' up a brother'
'69 M_____ GTS Fastback 'Blasted'
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

Pinto-Pete wrote:+ 1 on the Silastic, the savior of Clevelands for nearly 50 years
Yep, then Ford ditched the Cleveland and stuck with the Windsor. Still use the Silastic though.
rkmiller73
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by rkmiller73 »

OK, will try the silicone again, last time I used the gasket all the way around except at the back, there I used silicone. Will give her another go.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try, try, try again. :wbash:
rkmiller73
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by rkmiller73 »

OK over the last few days:

1. Intake fixed.

2. new expansion valve put on, but need to get the system charged and see if everything is going to work.

3. Rear seat is in place and front seats are both in.

4. Driver side window is low at the front when rolled all the way up, will have to adjust that.

I drove the car around town and briefly on the highway- 12 miles total.

1. Intake is not leaking yet

2. The rebuilt power brake booster makes a vacuum sound when the brake pedal is depressed. I took it off and sent it back to Booster Dewey.

3. The speedometer is off by 5-10 MPH so I checked with Modern Driveline and they sent me a speedometer gear for a 3.55 rear axle ratio and I am running a 3.25 so they have another on the way.

4. The steering is smooth, transmission shifts nicely, the electrical is all working well, and I thought a hot chick was following me around town for a few miles. ?

5.The car handles good, I did not get on it too much yet as I am trying to figure out where all the bugs are.

I attached a photo of the rear panel. The GT stripes are on it too, but with everything else going on I forgot to take a photo from the side.

Nuts
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Nuts »

ice Bumshot Ryan. How did you go with the overheating issue?

nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

Looks nice mate. A lot accomplished lately.