Projext X 1967 Fastback

Create your project threads here if you prefer to keep them out of the regular forums

Moderator: Moderators

rkmiller73
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Re: Projext X 1967 Fastback

Post by rkmiller73 »

Flushed the coolant system and it burped some air. However, we had to drain the system some to replace the intake gasket. Will see how it does with the AC system once that is hooked back up.

When I was driving it around this morning it runs about 3/4 over to H. I did not have the AC on (of course) and it was around 85 deg F.

I am thinking about putting something around the top and bottom of the fan shroud as the shroud is only attached at the sides and I think it is letting some air in around the top and bottom.
lukep6470
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by lukep6470 »

As long as it isn't boiling I would start to look at the 50yo gauge reading as more of an indication of normal running temp.

If you are running an original voltage regulator on the gauges then the same temperature can read slightly differently on the gauge from day to day. I'm running a 195 thermostat and the gauge reads just over 1/2 way normally. The EFI says it is between 190-200 which is what you would expect.
Ausjacko
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Ausjacko »

Ryan, these FE's tend to run hot. Mine does, Lee's did and many of the forums talk about them being a hot motor.

Trust you are far enough from Las Vegas AND are not am NRA advocate.
'68 J-code GT Fastback
'67 S-code GT coupe, 'Pink Bitz' formerly known as 'Hookin' up a brother'
'69 M_____ GTS Fastback 'Blasted'
rkmiller73
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by rkmiller73 »

Yes, I was not near Las Vegas, but one of my employees is from there and his sister was in the middle of it - not hurt though - physically anyway.

I can go on at length about people, but someone like that is going to kill using whatever they can devise. I don't know how you would ever prevent that. I don't understand why someone would want to do something like that in the first place. There are a lot of crazy people in this world.

Moving along:

The brake booster somehow got into a bind and broke some of the internal stuff. I double checked the pedal, pedal support bracket and they are the correct ones for power brakes. I have a couple extra power and non power pedal assemblies I took out of cars years ago and my stuff is correct.

Booster Dewey and Steve could not tell what happened, I feel something was not put together correctly, but anyway it is back in the mail to me, should get here by early next week.

I don't know about you guys, but all these bugs seem to happen every time I am close to getting a car on the road. I don't know how Ford got them through the assembly line without issues - quality control I guess. These old cars just have more issues and even rebuilt or reproduction or NOS can sometimes be off.

It is the last 5% of 100% that gets frustrating! :wbash:
Last edited by rkmiller73 on Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:40 am, edited 3 times in total.
rkmiller73
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by rkmiller73 »

OK so this week I am going back to my parents to get the A/C charged and hopefully take the car home to finish the interior and other small details. I just don't really have anyone up here in the Kansas City area I can trust to do stuff like A/C charging and work has been very busy so I have delayed bringing the car back.

Hopefully come back Monday night or Tuesday. I also need to put the PB booster on and test drive it a few miles. I can always pull it again at home if needed, its just a pain with everything put together and painted.
Pinto-Pete
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Pinto-Pete »

rkmiller73 wrote:OK so this week I am going back to my parents to get the A/C charged

Wow that's awesome, my mum's best party trick was a wicked Sunday roast..... :drool:
I'm Batman...

Crane Operator
Mammoet Australia
Rye Park Wind Farm
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

Pinto-Pete wrote:
rkmiller73 wrote:OK so this week I am going back to my parents to get the A/C charged

Wow that's awesome, my mum's best party trick was a wicked Sunday roast..... :drool:

Thank you Pinto. That was brilliant :snigger:
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
rkmiller73
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by rkmiller73 »

Ok so I got the power brake booster on, the A/C charged up and drove it a few miles. Everything seemed to work. The temp guage stays at 3/4 the way over no matter the temp outside - 70 degrees or 37 degrees. I brought it home on my trailer Tuesday. I got a chance to drive it about 20 miles yesterday (37 degrees outside temps) and it ran fine.

The passenger door lock jammed when I parked it for a bit and I couldn't open the door, so last night I took the door partially apart and it seems I forgot to put lithium grease on the door latch mechanisms. I also tore the door panel insert a little - you can only take those out and install them a few times with that card board backing. So I am going to pull the driver door panel off and take the mech out of it and grease it too.

The shifting was harder when everything was cold - maybe the Amsoil they had me put in the transmission. It improved after warming up.

I have noted that the 390 engine does not spin up in RPM's as fast as the 289/302 does, but overall seems to run well.

I also need to switch out the speedo gear on the transmission as it is about 8 MPH faster on the speedometer than actual speed.

So far I have about 40 miles on the car, so I have not run it too hard yet and needless to say I have not stomped on the brakes.

Work has been busy, but will get some photos posted soon.
rkmiller73
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by rkmiller73 »

BTW Pete, No roast, but did get home made chocolate chip cookies.

Or am I missing some of your Aussie humor?
Pinto-Pete
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Pinto-Pete »

rkmiller73 wrote:BTW Pete, No roast, but did get home made chocolate chip cookies.

Or am I missing some of your Aussie humor?
Gotta love a good chocky chip cookie mate..... :like:

missing something ? not sure what you mean rk.... :angel:
I'm Batman...

Crane Operator
Mammoet Australia
Rye Park Wind Farm
rkmiller73
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by rkmiller73 »

Pete,

Sometimes you guys have some jargon that I don't quite catch on to. ? No offense! Thought you might have been joking around.

I am working on the interior and rechecking the clutch - the pedal seems to need to go all the way to the floor to shift good. The manual Modern Driveline sent me says it may need to be pressure bled with 10 PSI at the reservoir cap hole - whole long two man procedure, blah, blah, blah. So when dad is down next I will enlist his help.

I lubed up the door mechanism on the passenger side while I had it out after the lock jammed. and on the driver side I just took the door card off and used some IV line tubing from work to spray some white lithium grease onto key areas of the mechanism.

I drove it about 20 miles the other day, still need to replace the speedo gear. I was nervous as this was the farthest the car has been out and the whole time I was thinking what to do if she suddenly broke down on the side of the road.

Here is how she sits today in a corner of the shop. I hung the old rear quarter panels up last year.

Last edited by rkmiller73 on Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nuts
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Nuts »

Ryan, that's one sweet looking car. However, the cave is just too tidy! Too sterile. Time for another project I think.
My Motto - Don't get Caught! If you do, Blame Someone Else!

MUSTANG - Fantastic Not Plastic
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

The car looks great. And damn I'm jealous of your shop, and my garage is not small.
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

Love the original flag on the wall. :like:
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
rkmiller73
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by rkmiller73 »

Thanks guys! That means a lot to me coming from some serious mustang builders like the group here.

I really like all of you and deeply appreciate all the support and advice received on this forum.

I had the floor epoxy coated and I shouldn't have had it done in the area of the two post lift. When welding I have to throw down several auto-parts store oil pans to keep the floor from getting messed up. I may have to just let it go in that area and eventually have it sanded down to bare concrete again.

I went a little overboard and the wife had to reel me in a bit. Most of the time it is easier to ask for forgiveness than it is to ask for permission.

I insulated the shop and my uncle help me put in central heat-A/C in the office space and the main shop. I also put in a bathroom with a shower winter 2014-15.

Anyway, here are a few photos, not trying to be presumptuous or self aggrandizing.

There is a second floor above the office I turned into a small wood shop and the third floor I have for storage.

Here is the wood working table I made last winter.
Last edited by rkmiller73 on Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.