Project Pheonix

Create your project threads here if you prefer to keep them out of the regular forums

Moderator: Moderators

Husky65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Re: Project Pheonix

Post by Husky65 »

Pm aren't working so I'll put it here.

I know with the EF/EL, the speedo goes to the instrument cluster first, then to the ecu. I'm assuming it's probably similar with the AU. I didn't do that wiring myself on my loom, however, I believe the instrument cluster applies also applies the voltage to the power wire of the sensor.

The sender has has 3 wires, power, ground and signal I believe the guy who did my loom just gave the power wire 12v off ignition. The signal wire comes straight back to a plug I added under the dash near the ecu. From that plug, that wire splits into two, with one going to the speedo, and one going to the ecu. I had to add a 10k pullup resistor to the signal wire at the speedo though, as the signal was quite weak(i am pretty sure the stock cluster does this also before it goes to the ecu), and my speedo wouldn't recognize the pulses until i added the pullup resistor.

I actually have my speedo input to the ecu disconnected, as I found that it would hold the rpm's for a second or two when I came to a stop or clutch in, which I didn't like. With it disconnected that went away. You need it connected with your auto box though.

What speedo are you using?
Last edited by Husky65 on Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
66STNG
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by 66STNG »

Might through this out to the crowd.
Ok, the speed sensor does have 3 wires and conects up to the main harness and then goes to the ecu, there is a white wire from pin 58 which says vehicle speed sensor but it's an input so it can't just go to the speedo. The AU may be different in that you don't need the body module to run the transmission??

There is a clean tachometer output of the ecu which I assume goes straight to the tacho, but I can't figure how the speedo gets its signal.
If anyone wants to chime in it would be a help, as husky has explained it but I'm still not sure how to actually wire the speedo up...
Cheers
66 basket case
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

Husky65 wrote:Pm aren't working so I'll put it here.

I know with the EF/EL, the speedo goes to the instrument cluster first, then to the ecu. I'm assuming it's probably similar with the AU. I didn't do that wiring myself on my loom, however, I believe the instrument cluster applies also applies the voltage to the power wire of the sensor.

The sender has has 3 wires, power, ground and signal I believe the guy who did my loom just gave the power wire 12v off ignition. The signal wire comes straight back to a plug I added under the dash near the ecu. From that plug, that wire splits into two, with one going to the speedo, and one going to the ecu. I had to add a 10k pullup resistor to the signal wire at the speedo though, as the signal was quite weak(i am pretty sure the stock cluster does this also before it goes to the ecu), and my speedo wouldn't recognize the pulses until i added the pullup resistor.

I actually have my speedo input to the ecu disconnected, as I found that it would hold the rpm's for a second or two when I came to a stop or clutch in, which I didn't like. With it disconnected that went away. You need it connected with your auto box though.

Why do you say PM's aren't working?
Are you getting some error message?

See this:
http://www.mustangtech.com.au/Forums/vi ... =4279.html
Last edited by hybrid on Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Husky65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Husky65 »

hybrid wrote:
Husky65 wrote:Pm aren't working so I'll put it here.

Why do you say PM's aren't working?
Are you getting some error message?

See this:
http://www.mustangtech.com.au/Forums/vi ... =4279.html
My bad I saw it was sitting in my outbox, thought it wouldn't send. That link cleared it up for me :)
66STNG
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by 66STNG »

C' mon where are the techo guys out there. Need some advice wiring diagram to wire my electronic gauges. Using the stock ecu and stock senders. Ford workshop manuals are useless.
66 basket case
Husky65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Husky65 »

There is not much info on the australian eec's, even on the net, so it's pretty hard.

The speedo sensor has 3 wires, being voltage in, ground, and signal out.
I am just not sure of the voltage in is 12v or 5v. It is normally supplied by the dash cluster. If you ask Pete at Petes custom wiring he should know as he did mine.

Or, if you gauge has a programmable speedo input, just get a gps speedo sender and be done with it.
Husky65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Husky65 »

Actually ignore the last about the gps sender, you are running an auto ecu, which needs the correct speedo signal input.

Do you love old ford tech :poopfan:
66STNG
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by 66STNG »

I belled some wires out today and found that they don't go from the speed sensor to the ecu, they go to another connection that would have gone to the dash cluster. But it still doesn't help me because I'm not sure what voltage to put on it, if it requires another driver or some resistance. I really need a detailed wiring diagram.
66 basket case
66STNG
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by 66STNG »

Quick up date.
Old seat risers out new ones in, gives me another 2" to lower the seats.

Completed, and seam sealeed
Last edited by 66STNG on Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
66 basket case
66STNG
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by 66STNG »

Finally soughted the dash cluster,
Electronic, programable speedo. The red button is to toggle between trip settings, alarm speeds ect, not sure whether to drill a hole in the bezel or hide the button. The three wires are for the speed sensor,

66 basket case
Nuts
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Nuts »

Nice Work!
My Motto - Don't get Caught! If you do, Blame Someone Else!

MUSTANG - Fantastic Not Plastic
66STNG
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by 66STNG »

Quick update.
Windscreens in today. What a top job by Kevin. He is an old school windscreen dude. He is really anal, he had to re do quite a few pins for the clips so the trim would fit correctly...
I'm really pleased with his work.
Maybe Phoenix can get a wash now.

66 basket case
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

Nice to meet people who care about what they do.
Husky65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Husky65 »

Nice work! You should hurry up though, I want to see this thing
66STNG
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by 66STNG »

Husky65 wrote:Nice work! You should hurry up though, I want to see this thing
You and me both. I can put the front sheet metal on, carpets, dash ect..
66 basket case