GT/CS tidy up

Create your project threads here if you prefer to keep them out of the regular forums

Moderator: Moderators

mert
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Re: GT/CS tidy up

Post by mert »

??? Yep, this is "minor"! ;)
8R01S
8R03S-GT
8F01X -EXP500 Repli-bute
8R01C-Cal Special
scedd
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by scedd »

mert wrote:Continued prep before paint, a good few hours yesterday removing some spray on goo the PO added to the trunk. I guess the plus is it may have helped keep rust away...

Before

Thats a novel spot for your compliance plate.
I thought they had to be in the engine bay.
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

Maybe he's putting the engine in the boot?
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

Always though it would be interesting to graft a 500 Cadi front wheel drive setup into the rear. Just as a crazy project idea.
I will someday think of something clever to say.
mert
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by mert »

Nope, no requirement for it to be anywhere but fastened to the car in a fixed location and accessible.

Many insist on the engine bay for some reason, why an apron or radiator support is better than any other piece of sheet metal is a mystery.

QLD Transport had no issues when I registered the car for full rego with it there... why detail an engine bay then add such a lovely item in a highly visible spot! hide it under the spare!
8R01S
8R03S-GT
8F01X -EXP500 Repli-bute
8R01C-Cal Special
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

Good point Mert. I have hidden them under the water bag. If they want to see it just lift the bag. Otherwise it is hidden though accessible.
I will someday think of something clever to say.
mert
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by mert »

Yep, works on the early ones, but the 68's have a plastic bottle screwed to the apron.
8R01S
8R03S-GT
8F01X -EXP500 Repli-bute
8R01C-Cal Special
chopmgw
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by chopmgw »

Looking good mert .
Thats a good method of stripping back the engine bay.
I will have to remember that one for next time. ;)
I smell oranges !

Michael
mert
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by mert »

Took about 4 hours, paint on the stripper, go do something else for 15-20 minutes, come back and remove it with a plastic putty knife.

Repeat twice hitting areas that resist a bit extra.

Wipe it all down with rags (PVC gloves are needed). Scotch brite pads on any remaining areas with paint, most came off. Then pressure wash. Wipe dry, wipe with rust converter.

That is as it sits.

Will wire wheel a few areas and then sand back the rails to feather back into the original paint just blow the firewall.
8R01S
8R03S-GT
8F01X -EXP500 Repli-bute
8R01C-Cal Special
mert
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by mert »

A few hours yesterday and a few more today. All the metal is looking great, all FomoCo and only some minor dings in the front of one fender.

One door to strip, and the rear quarters and they can get it into etch....
8R01S
8R03S-GT
8F01X -EXP500 Repli-bute
8R01C-Cal Special
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

Thought you were only stripping the top panels.
68Coupe
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by 68Coupe »

TIDY UP, you're kidding - looks almost like a full blown resto. Love your work Mert. :thumbs:
mert
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by mert »

We looked at the paint and as this took 3 hours to do the two fenders, outside only (inside is being left in FoMoCo primer with a wash), it seemed silly to stop at just the top. There were a couple minor areas that looked suspect and we decided it was best to take the two prior coats off.

As they let me do the work it is free, other than materials, and I am kinda enjoying it.

As for a full blown resto, nowhere near it. ;) The paint will be etch, bit of bog, primer and color. Seam sealer and sound deadener to kinda-factory. Need to research that one a bit.

No complete coats of high build and hand sanding it all back multiple times to get it laser straight (that's for the EXP).

Not stripping the entire body to bare metal. The underside is just getting cleaned, but the suspension will all come off for a clean and coat of paint where needed. No upholstery, interior all existing going back in, all old wiring going back in as its in good nick, and the engine and trans are just getting cleaned, painted, an reinstalled as they were running fine.

I am swapping a 390 and C6 for all the chrome and stainless polishing.

So a "minor" paint job. Compared to the S convertible, S GT coupe, and EXP... :loopy:

But... I am tossing up whether or not to try a C4 rebuild, but am not sure.
8R01S
8R03S-GT
8F01X -EXP500 Repli-bute
8R01C-Cal Special
ponyride
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by ponyride »

She's gonna look great, can't wait to see the end result.
Rick.

Old things amuse all minds.
mert
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by mert »

FYI the door took about an hour, guy at the shop gave me a tip to cover in plastic when letting the paint stripper work.

Did the first coat of stripper and the plastic was loose, a good bit of the 4 layers of gray, orange, red, red, paint came off (new donor door, 68 to replace the 67 that was on it). Second coat, pressed the plastic down firm against the stripper. When I lifted it off ~20 minutes later most of the paint stuck to the plastic leaving mostly bare metal behind. Wad up, toss in bin... too easy! ;)

Inside and edges were just wiped with lacquer thinner and a rag, a few minor areas were wire wheeled (old seal and a few surface rusty areas on the underside.

Then the whole thing got rust converter.

Just need to fix the 9 holes a PO drilled, obviously "adjusting" fitting the location of the mirror... not sure about some folks.
8R01S
8R03S-GT
8F01X -EXP500 Repli-bute
8R01C-Cal Special