Husky's 65 Restomod

Create your project threads here if you prefer to keep them out of the regular forums

Moderator: Moderators

hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: Husky's 65 Restomod

Post by hybrid »

50 years old mate.. They all make noise.

Who are you getting to tune it?
Husky65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Husky65 »

lukep6470 wrote:Hi,

I noticed in your photo you have the strut tower brace going from the firewall to the top of the bracket on the strut tower. I have mine going underneath the bracket. But I didn't have the install instructions when I got the brace.

Is that what the assembly instructions say to do?
It should be underneath, as there is another plate that should have a straight end, and the bracket goes inbetween them.
Do you have both plates installed?

I didn't have the second plate for whatever reason, however I recently got it from RRS, just haven' installed it yet.

Does any of that makes sense? I can take photo's for you no dramas
Husky65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Husky65 »

hybrid wrote:50 years old mate.. They all make noise.

Who are you getting to tune it?
Yeah I just don't remember this much engine noise from before. Perhaps my firewall insulation is insufficient. I'll have to ride in another to check.

Joe at CMS is tuning it. He is pretty much the only person I could find in Sydney who still tunes the pre-AU ford systems. I have a J3 chip now which has a basic tune and smartlock disabled etc, however he uses the SCT Eliminator chips.

In hindsight I should have swapped to the AU gear so I could flash tune it, however I was too deep into the build and had already paid for my modified engine loom.
Last edited by Husky65 on Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

Wow, they actually mention megasquirt on their website... kudos.
Husky65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Husky65 »

hybrid wrote:Wow, they actually mention megasquirt on their website... kudos.
I think you might be looking at the CMS in melbourne, different mob.

CMS(crescent motor sport) is the one in sydney. They are big in the ford and now late model mustang tuning.
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

You have roller perches and hiem joints etc and such in it don't you. That's bound to make it noisier in the suspension. As for fire wall insulation I'm doing the John Greene method of Skin foam from clark rubber, but have also lined it first with the dense foam with foil on one side I got from Kiwi Mick, they used it at the LNG refinery to wrap stuff with.
Last edited by Shaunp on Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
cage
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by cage »

What's happening with the mufflers Shaun?
"The simple answer is, even if I have decided I still don't know what to do."
Husky65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Husky65 »

Yeah I do, roller lower arms and heim tie rods too. To be honest, the noise that I can here is the engine noise, engine ticking and transmission sounds. From the shifter backwards it's actually pretty good and I can't here shit.

My problem is I didn't properly do the firewall(apart from dynamat) before installing everything(forgot). So I really need to spend a weekend doing it properly. I'll have a look at the products you mentioned.
Last edited by Husky65 on Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

cage wrote:What's happening with the mufflers Shaun?
Set of Race pros are on the way as we speak in a Summit order with some other items, should show up buy the end of the week.
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

Husky65 wrote:Yeah I do, roller lower arms and heim tie rods too. To be honest, the noise that I can here is the engine noise, engine ticking and transmission sounds. From the shifter backwards it's actually pretty good and I can't here shit.

My problem is I didn't properly do the firewall(apart from dynamat) before installing everything(forgot). So I really need to spend a weekend doing it properly. I'll have a look at the products you mentioned.
Do you have factory mounts or those adjustable ones that use nolethane shackle bushes? Yeah I think you need something else on the fire wall. If you go to clark rubber you can get what the call skin foam its just the top they cut off a new foam pour, so one side is hard and the other is just foam , its about 30mm thick, Greenie has been using it for years on RHD conversion cars, seems to work fine. I would suggest Boofs car has it.
Husky65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Husky65 »

Yeah the adjustable mounts.
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

So you pretty much have worst case everything for transmitting drive train noise and Rattles.
Husky65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Husky65 »

ha ha yeah I guess I should stop complaining, is it's not that bad really.

So bad news with the tuning. They couldn't get the smart lock disabled in their tuning software, so they then tried to use their binary editing software but their software crashed. We just called it a day after checking the timing and adjusting the idle, looks like my IAC may be a bit faulty.
Dissapointed but hopefully won't take them long to sort their stuff out.
Husky65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Husky65 »

So I thought my car didn't feel right in the way home. Couldn't get it to idle right with the iac connected. Thought I'd check the timing they put in this morning.....26dg at idle! When I put it in timing mode it was off the balancer, 40+ at full advance. 🤔🤔
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

Jeebus... do they know what they're doing? :shock: