70 Mach 1 - Slowly

Create your project threads here if you prefer to keep them out of the regular forums

Moderator: Moderators

nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: 70 Mach 1 - Slowly

Post by nassi »

Well done, you are still progressing and enjoying some of lifes pleasures at the same time.
We could all learn from that .
Edz66Vert
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Edz66Vert »

Hey Chux, have you replaced the liner in the torch lately, they are pretty cheap ($20 at BOC)? That can make a big difference to stopping wire binding up and birdnesting on the spool. It's very common for 0.6 to birdnest if there is any resistance to it feeding as it is not stiff like 0.9.
Checkout my car builds - edzv8s.com
66 Convertible Bench Seat AODE 3.5 9"
Chux
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by Chux »

Edz66Vert wrote:Hey Chux, have you replaced the liner in the torch lately, they are pretty cheap ($20 at BOC)? That can make a big difference to stopping wire binding up and birdnesting on the spool. It's very common for 0.6 to birdnest if there is any resistance to it feeding as it is not stiff like 0.9.
I took your advice a while back. Went to Teflon liner and set roller pressure to as light as possible and it’s all stopped farking up....thanks for that.
Cheers

Craig
Chux
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by Chux »

Amazing that a few things start to make sense...that repo needs to be made to fit usually with a grinder and a hammer and then your start to make progress.

Pretty much got the d/s sorted. Ran out of time today but floor is cut in and about 80%welded in along the tunnel. Just need to finish the welding and grinding and it’s done.

Feels like a watershed moment- damn that torque box and toe board had me stuffed now it all starts to flow.
Cheers

Craig
Chux
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by Chux »

Well long over due for an update and some pics.
DS torque box, toe board, full floor and seat riser replaced. I’m fairly happy with the outcome. I have just sprayed cheap enamel on as plan is to dustless blast and epoxy prime it.

Had a great win on gumtree. Two outer wheel houses for $30 each ?
It’s nice to get to this.

Moved seat platform back close to 2 inches so I plated over existing holes.

Awesome floor.....
n
Cheers

Craig
Chux
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by Chux »

Passenger side is a new torque box, a patch in the toe board and a repair to upper rear torque box.
Once I have seat pan out I will assess whether to replace full floor or do a front section and patch the area near the rear torque box. It’s hard see the awesome floor repair done in the USA. But a replacement section screwed down over old floor is standard. Floor under seat pan seems solid from underneath and i think doing only a partial floor pan would be easier than a whole one although I have a full section to use anyway.

Hole bogged over in toe board where it has rusted through torque box.

But if you every felt like your welding was inadequate check this

Weird thing is that using a fibre optic probe the plenum only has a very small hole on drivers side and the ps is solid so not sure why the floors got so rotted out..but it’s immaterial. It’s rusty and being replaced.
Cheers

Craig
Nuts
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Nuts »

It always amazes me the way some people spend hours and hours doing bodg repairs when to do it right the first time would have been easier and cheaper.
My Motto - Don't get Caught! If you do, Blame Someone Else!

MUSTANG - Fantastic Not Plastic
Chux
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by Chux »

Just not at all would have made it easier for me. Pulling apart dodgy is more work
Cheers

Craig
Chux
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by Chux »

Sometimes you get lucky. I’m committed to going manual and after researching the heck out of things I decided I would stay with a top loader rather than anything else. T5 would have been a choice but sadly won’t handle planned torque.
So after wiping the tears from my eyes after seeing the broncos play so dismally against Saint George I jumped into gumtree and low and behold there is a deal to help cheer up a loser - a 1969 top loader. RUG AG so 28 spline close ratio from a mustang not an Aussie box. And a great price too.
Sadly I was second caller. Old mate says come out but the first caller gets dibs. Unbelievably first caller is a no show and I end up not just with box but a tail shaft thrown in as well.
???. One happy camper here.

Now to find a 69/70 clutch pedal - Kerry?????
Cheers

Craig
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

Might have one. Will look tomorrow afternoon when I get home.
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
Chux
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by Chux »

Awesome. That would be amazing if you do.
Cheers

Craig
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

Sorry, only had an early model and it looks like it had been altered.
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
Chux
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by Chux »

Thanks for looking Kerry.
Cheers

Craig
Chux
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by Chux »

Got an aussie bellhousing so I can run hydraulic. Picked up MDL pedal and their nice master cylinder. Also scored a nice Hurst setup ex USA
Time would be nice to do more but just plugging away on little things as I can.
Cheers

Craig
Chux
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by Chux »

Stripped this guard. Looks almost new except for some cruddy repairs. Looks like some rust from under the stone guard.

Not sure on best way forward for repair. The bit near the indicator is easy and metal around it looks good, but the stone guard is sticking on incredibly well on most of the guard. Any thoughts?

Cheers

Craig