Nuts Goes SImple EFI

Need help on paint, paint prep, welding, engines etc?

Moderator: Moderators

Nuts
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: Nuts Goes SImple EFI

Post by Nuts »

I'm using a ready to run dissy and no ECU control. The ECU can control ignition events for any other Dissy combo.
My Motto - Don't get Caught! If you do, Blame Someone Else!

MUSTANG - Fantastic Not Plastic
Ronin187
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Ronin187 »

Nuts,
Any joy?

I wnet with the MSD Atomic EFi system, and on reading their help topics I do reacall someone having a similar issue to you. I'll see if i can find out what they did - he systems are very similar.

Out of curiosity, are you running the original wiring harness?
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

OK, so this is a fuel-only setup.
Without physically being there to troubleshoot, it's possible that sharing the 12V supply to the coil with the EFI, you have caused a voltage drop because the wire size is not sufficient.

Again, I don't know the Fast EFI system, but being an integrated type unit, it may be sharing the ECU supply with the injector supply etc, so it could be drawing a fair bit of current (although should not be the case while the engine is not running).

Anyhoo - yes, switching a relay with your 12v coil wire is a good idea. You don't want to skimp supply to either your coil or injector circuits.
Ronin187
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Ronin187 »

I agree with Hybrid, Im using the American Auto Wire kit and it has a dedicated 12v power suply for the system. If I remember correctly I also had to run my ground wire to the negative terminal on the battery and not to a body ground.
smh00n
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by smh00n »

They need a clean 12V to the ECU. If you search Hot Rod magazine, they have done a full swap on a car and have noted some critical points.
At work so can't link it but I do remember one of the things made a big deal was voltage to the ECU
Nuts
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Nuts »

The controller turned up this morning but no coil. Went down to the new Burson store to get one. Nope no luck. Interesting that these coils were fitted to most Aust built cars from about 77 to 90 and they didn’t have one. Nuts told then off in his usual subtle way. Went up the road to Autopro, sorry Auto One, and they had one. Back home, fitted the new coil and distributor controller. Fitted a relay for the ECU Ign On circuit. Threw the old coil out the garage, missed the dogs. Knocked a paling off the fence, now the dogs can get out. After chasing the dogs I fixed the fence and went and made a cuppa. While drinking my tea, I double checked everything. For the fourth time. Is that like an octocheck? Anyway it was time to hit the starter.

Well bugger me if it didn’t start straight up and settle into a nice idle.. I checked the controller and it wasn’t working. As I moved it, I accidently unplugged it a bit. Gave it a bit of a rev and it feels sweet. I shut it down, checked everything over and all good except a small fuel leak at the engine fuel pump. Need to fix this in the morning. Plugged the controller back in and restarted it and the controller worked fine. All in all a good result. Now to tidy everything up, run the vent back to the tank then go for a drive.

I recorded a vid and when I work out how to upload it, you can all see the magic happen..

Hopefully this works. Fortunately it doesn't show my stunned expression..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5saogA ... e=youtu.be
Last edited by Nuts on Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

Good work. Need to make vid public.
I will someday think of something clever to say.
Nuts
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Nuts »

Should be ok now

Ausjacko
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Ausjacko »

Excellent work Nuts. So those other vids are fair dinkum then ;-)
Did you run vacuum to the regulator thingy in the middle of the FCC? They say this helps to stop the thing pulsing but I did not notice yours doing that

With the fans, it is a grounded output from the unit, not a positive for some reason. Might pay to check that on the relay if you are using it to drive the fan.
Cheers
Jacko
'68 J-code GT Fastback
'67 S-code GT coupe, 'Pink Bitz' formerly known as 'Hookin' up a brother'
'69 M_____ GTS Fastback 'Blasted'
66STNG
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by 66STNG »

Good work nuts,
Who said you can't teach an old dog new tricks..?
66 basket case
Husky65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Husky65 »

Gee that's a clean engine bay.
Nuts
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Nuts »

Ausjacko wrote:Excellent work Nuts. So those other vids are fair dinkum then ;-)
Did you run vacuum to the regulator thingy in the middle of the FCC? They say this helps to stop the thing pulsing but I did not notice yours doing that

With the fans, it is a grounded output from the unit, not a positive for some reason. Might pay to check that on the relay if you are using it to drive the fan.
Cheers
Jacko
Yes Jacko, ported vacuum connected to the FCC and i'll check the fans tomorrow and used the neg trigger. I just remembered I have another fan relay there so i'll chase it tomorrow.

Nuts
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Nuts »

66STNG wrote:Good work nuts,
Who said you can't teach an old dog new tricks..?
Quietly, I call her Mudguard! Shiny on top, Dirty underneath. Just like my first girlfriend!

I'm going to paint the FCC blue because I can. Pete says I'm retarded! I just like blue.

69candy
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by 69candy »

That is awesome!! Well done. I have learnt a lot from this thread!! Now go drive it and report back!!
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

Hey you are an inspiration mate, and your write ups are even better tan Jacko's. You do vids. :like: