Pulling my date correct engine down!

Create your project threads here if you prefer to keep them out of the regular forums

Moderator: Moderators

ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Pulling my date correct engine down!

Post by ozbilt »

tim_morrison82 wrote:Correct, i am just very curious. I'm not here to argue but to discuss differences. I will try and track one down any way. Better to be correct than incorrect.
If you want it "correct" & the body is a CA car (which it is) then it has to have the smog system. No question there.

They are spendy (smog systems) to get them dead on correct. So I really do not know why you would bother. You could spend around US$3K for a complete "concourse correct" system.

I just got an original smog system for Lee's Q & it will have all the hoses removed, cleaned & sent to KM for re-inking. Some of those original "ribbed" hoses command big money as they have not been made for years & not reproduced (repop's are smooth generic hoses & easily picked)

What makes your car "unique" is the parchment bench front seat (48 hardtops, 7 fastbacks, 0 converts). There were 13840 coupes built at San Jose for the 72 ordering district. Almost 40,000 Mustangs had the J code in 68. With all cars if you break them down it usually comes to 1 of 1.

The car would have the same value as depicted in your avatar as it would being absolutely "concourse correct" so in my mind you are beating your head against the wall. Also you will not be able to give KM enough info for a reply on the engine & it would consume a lot of his time, so I would not expect one. Can you possibly imagine how many requests for info he gets every day?

Sorry if that sounds harsh, but I know the workload he is under & he is the only one that does access the data base, the guy does not stop.
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

In anycase I have the smog stuff from my car except the tubes for the 289 heads, If you want any of it, it's yours for a carton of beer. Personally I wouldn't bother, just depend how correct you want it I guess. I'm missing the A code manifold and carb from my car, don't really care, If I see one I'll buy it but not really looking hard. After all I put the wheel on the other side so it's hardly original, although I do want it to look period, ie wheels, paint,trim radio etc engine mods etc, Even got Mallory and Holly equiped stickers for the rear screen.
tim_morrison82
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by tim_morrison82 »

Its not harsh. I believe every word of it. It would be a tough job for him if he does it all himself!

i am still undecided as to how far i will go. I will get it to a stage where it can be rego'd and then work on bits at a time to improve on its originality. So smog can be down the line, like alot of little things. I'll be happy for now with a date correct engine minus smog, plus a c4 and a 3:1 to get the majority of the car back to original specs.

i am not arguing, just discussing. I was just curious as to differences in notating smog on reports. They have obviously been placed on window stickers with a dollar value on some cars, hence noted on the report. But its not always noted. So does that mean the smog was deleted, or just not noted because its no longer an option, its a government requirement?
Dreaming the dream... Living the reality...
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

Tim do you still need that carby, or did you get one with your engine?
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

Tim if any of the 67 smog stuff like pump, brakets etc is the same as 68 it's yours, I was just going to chuck it, Hmm but Kerry says it's worth money If you don't want it I may sell it on ebay, no think I'll chuck it.
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

tim_morrison82 wrote: I was just curious as to differences in notating smog on reports. They have obviously been placed on window stickers with a dollar value on some cars, hence noted on the report. But its not always noted. So does that mean the smog was deleted, or just not noted because its no longer an option, its a government requirement?
So you are looking at the 67 or earlier model years as they were either CA & NY cars or "48" state cars. Smog was national (50 state) as of the start of the 68 model year (all brands, all cars)
Kerry

ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

BTW, 67 smog is different to 68 (289-302) Some bits are similar, but not all inc brackets.
Kerry

Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

Thought maybe that combined pump/alternator bracket may have carried over? either way if no one wants it it's toast. This looks similar to my stuff have to check.

http://www.mustangtek.com/Fordparts/68J ... Setup.html
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

Shaunp wrote:Thought maybe that combined pump/alternator bracket may have carried over? either way if no one wants it it's toast.
Don't throw it, put it up on Ebay if you want it out of your hair. Inc the tubes etc that you have, might not bring much, but better than just tossing it.

When I was moving out of my shop in the US, Mrsozbilt Ebay'd everything that I was not packing in the containers (3 X 40" Hi Cubes so far.. 8O ), it was surprising what it all bought.

I also took a bunch of Mustang related stuff back to my friend's wrecking yard & gave it all (back) to him.
Kerry

tim_morrison82
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by tim_morrison82 »

I will take smog stuff if you are throwing it. Atleast i will know what things look like and where they fit.

hybrid, i probably will be ok now. Will sell the spare engine with what it came with. Cheers
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

I'll have a look at it tonight, and see if it looks like the stuff in the link in the above post.
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

If the picture in the Mustangtek link is correct you'll need to dril your heads to suit. Later 302 heads have internal smog which is down inside the exhuast port, not via the top of the head like mine was. Look down the exhaust port and see if you can see the smog hump in the roof.
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

Shaunp wrote:If the picture in the Mustangtek link is correct you'll need to dril your heads to suit. Later 302 heads have internal smog which is down inside the exhuast port, not via the top of the head like mine was. Look down the exhaust port and see if you can see the smog hump in the roof.
I am sure that link is incorrectly listed as 68. I am under the impression that only 67 289 came with the smog tubes in the heads & they were only on CA & NY cars.

68 302 (F & J) were different.

Something to go away & research.
Kerry

ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

Reason I say what I did above, is that I always got a premium for 67 heads with the tubes in them.
Kerry

tim_morrison82
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by tim_morrison82 »

I wish the internet was easier to read on this mikes68 phone! I keep missing posts...

i will do some more researching. I am interested in finding out about the non 50 state cars, that were built in the us. Can't be too many of them, so could be alot of digging. Might be the same as what we already know, all 68 cars were built with them no matter where they went. Will pass the info on. I am not trying to prove anyone wrong, i'm just the curious cat of the day.