Tim's 65 vert (Caroline)

Create your project threads here if you prefer to keep them out of the regular forums

Moderator: Moderators

xpconnor
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Re: Tim's 65 vert (Caroline)

Post by xpconnor »

I managed to get my door glass back into the channels over Australia day. First step was to polish the stainless edge still on the glass. Wasn't sure if the polishing wheels would scratch the glass or just leave cutting compound all over it so i taped up the edge before beginning.

Then I used a course wheel and grey compound to cut out fine scratches followed by the calico buff wheel and green compound to polish the steel.

I didn't have time to spend ages cutting and polishing the stainless and in reality it could have used a light sand with some very fine wet and dry sand paper before using the buffing wheels but you can see in the photo below the top frame has been polished and the bottom one hasn't.

After that I also gave the steel another going over with some autosol steel polish and the end result was pretty good.

Next step was to remove all the tape and clean the glass with metho. Then I set up to work with the strip seal I purchased from glass4classics.

I found it easiest to sit the glass up on its edge as depicted.

Then I just worked along pressing and folding the seal over the glass. I also used pieces of tape along the length just to help hold it in place.

Once it is sitting taped if you give it a really good squeeze and warm it a bit with your hands it stays stuck to the glass and you can remove the tape.

Next I wet the rubber strip down with Kerosene. You must wear cloves from this point on or you will be covered in black shit for days.

Then I used a wooden block and hammer but a rubber mallet would work to hit the channel onto the glass. You just go slow doing this as you also need to hit the channel back so it lines up with the screw holes in the stainless trim and if you hit the channel on too far before getting it all lined up you will never move it, or so i have been told.......... :$

Then just put the screws back in the end (I only had one that was salvageable) and trim the excess seal back with a sharp blade.

Another quick wipe with metho and all done.
"The Mustang is full of Awesome"
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

Like new!
Nice work
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

Well done mate, I end up with black shit everywhere. Never done one as clean as you did there.
xpconnor
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by xpconnor »

nassi wrote:Well done mate, I end up with black shit everywhere. Never done one as clean as you did there.
The first one went on easy and I was worried it might not be on tight enough but when I yanked on it to see if I could get it back off it wasn't going anywhere. For the second window which is the one I photographed I actually squashed the channel a little tighter prior to installing the glass. Of course that was the one I didn't get lined up right the first time around so there was some swearing inloved trying to get it all back apart and starting again. Second time I was a bit smarter and just tapped the channel on a little then hit it along the glass back towards where the stainless screws to it. Then a few more taps down then a few more to align it back to the stainless and so on until it was all in place. Happy with the result but glad they were the only two pieces that needed doing.
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

I don't feel so bad now. I thought you had to do that stainless as well.
Anyway, great job and nice writeup.
Ausjacko
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Ausjacko »

cool update, thanks for sharing. Now get it painted!
'68 J-code GT Fastback
'67 S-code GT coupe, 'Pink Bitz' formerly known as 'Hookin' up a brother'
'69 M_____ GTS Fastback 'Blasted'
xpconnor
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by xpconnor »

Ausjacko wrote:cool update, thanks for sharing. Now get it painted!

Haha, easier said then done at the moment. Maybe I can practise on your "red" mustang. I am sure Nuts would be happy to finally see some paint on it. :f: :rotfl2:
Ausjacko
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Ausjacko »

Oh, that was low
'68 J-code GT Fastback
Ausjacko
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Ausjacko »

ah yes, found it
'68 J-code GT Fastback
Pinto-Pete
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Pinto-Pete »

Nothing offensive here,..... move along.
I'm Batman...

Crane Operator
Mammoet Australia
Rye Park Wind Farm
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

When is that 363 going to be started?
Last edited by boofhead on Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
I will someday think of something clever to say.
xpconnor
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by xpconnor »

boofhead wrote:When is that 363 going to be started?
If you would like to come down and do some baby sitting whilst also helping me install some of the miscellaneous items onto the motor we can do it any time in the next couple of months :lol:

Actually you have reminded me that I need to replace my distributor gear and change the springs in it. I am a little bit nervous about it now with what happened on the other forum with Fitzy I think it was.
My engine builder has recommended a bronze gear but everyone seems to say it will chew itself up and constantly need replacing so not sure which advise to take on that one. :shrug:
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

You can get composite gears these days that should work on pretty much anything.
What is your cam?

You're right though... I wouldn't want a bronze gear on a street car really.
Many of the manufacturers also sell the right gears for each of their cam types.
Last edited by hybrid on Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

A rabbit hole because of the range of views.
My view is simple - use the same material. What cam is it? Most after market cams are on a SADI core (Iron cast) so use an Iron gear. Often the heat treatment can be tough enough to last ok with a steel gear but for me that is pushing it. If a steel core then a steel gear. All factory motors are done this way.
If your not sure then bronze or composite. The composite should last longer than the bronze.
You have a warranty ? so you may have to go with what ever he/woody tells you to use until it no longer applies.

The gear needs to be aligned property. It one of those things I check first step in a build (with oil pump temporarily installed with the drive shaft in place).
Last edited by boofhead on Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
I will someday think of something clever to say.
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

Warranty is a good point Boof. Although it would be tough for them to deny warranty on anything that was not related to the cam gear, it does happen and sometimes it's not worth the fight.
A bronze gear would probably outlast the warranty on a hobby car.