Tim's 65 vert (Caroline)

Create your project threads here if you prefer to keep them out of the regular forums

Moderator: Moderators

xpconnor
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Re: Tim's 65 vert (Caroline)

Post by xpconnor »

Shaunp wrote:I think those cranes are a steel cam as well, it a 363 it will go like a train regardless, what diff do you have and stall?
Diff is a 3.25 tru trac and from memory I think Woody recommended a small stall converter, only 2000 or 2500 RPM. I will only be running 14 or 15 inch wheels no bigger than what they originally left the factory with.

Shaun I think you have installed a few tru trac diffs. Once it is installed it says to test it by stopping the yoke from moving and trying to turn only one wheel. I have tried to do this by hand with a helper but I cannot get a wheel to turn at all without the yoke spinning. Maybe I am just not pinning the yoke tight enough or maybe something is wrong with the diff. Do you bother with this test or do you just test it by driving it? :burnout:
"The Mustang is full of Awesome"
xpconnor
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by xpconnor »

boofhead wrote:Cool = thanks for that. If you want to replace it

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/crn- ... /make/ford

It should be nice. Mild cammy idle - should still rev out to 6000 rpm just past.
I think I will just try and get the motor in the car and running before I think about replacing the cam. ;)

Would you set the rev limit for the cam it has now to about 6000-6500 rpm. I think the heads are relatively small so 6000 might be the limit.
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

xpconnor wrote:
Shaunp wrote:I think those cranes are a steel cam as well, it a 363 it will go like a train regardless, what diff do you have and stall?
Diff is a 3.25 tru trac and from memory I think Woody recommended a small stall converter, only 2000 or 2500 RPM. I will only be running 14 or 15 inch wheels no bigger than what they originally left the factory with.

Shaun I think you have installed a few tru trac diffs. Once it is installed it says to test it by stopping the yoke from moving and trying to turn only one wheel. I have tried to do this by hand with a helper but I cannot get a wheel to turn at all without the yoke spinning. Maybe I am just not pinning the yoke tight enough or maybe something is wrong with the diff. Do you bother with this test or do you just test it by driving it? :burnout:
That is exactly what should happen.
You should not be able to turn only one wheel. If you can, it's an open diff and the opposite wheel will turn in the opposite direction.

The whole point of these diffs is that you can't just turn one wheel freely. Turning either wheel should drive the yoke.
xpconnor
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by xpconnor »

Yep I understand that part but if you go to page 7 (or 12 depending which reference you use for the page number) of this link it says if you lock the yoke (they do say put the car in park so maybe i need to lock the yoke in some way tighter then me just holding it) you should be able to turn one wheel and the other goes the opposite way. I can't seem to get enough force to turn a wheel with the yoke locked.

https://static.summitracing.com/global/ ... 62c56a.pdf

It does mention units with preload will be harder to turn but I can't seem to find any info on how hard the ford 8 inch ones should be to turn.
Last edited by xpconnor on Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

I have been looking into the camshaft [Crane Powermax] (note the details I put up was for the camshaft you have if you need to get another one). I was not suggesting you replace it.

This cam is also the Trickflow TFS stage 2 camshaft.
https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/ ... /overview/

Just an FYI - now for the trivial information fans - the intake lobe is the same lobe used on fords X-303 alphabet camshaft.
I will someday think of something clever to say.
xpconnor
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by xpconnor »

boofhead wrote:I have been looking into the camshaft [Crane Powermax] (note the details I put up was for the camshaft you have if you need to get another one). I was not suggesting you replace it.

This cam is also the Trickflow TFS stage 2 camshaft.
https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/ ... /overview/

Just an FYI - now for the trivial information fans - the intake lobe is the same lobe used on fords X-303 alphabet camshaft.
I Just re-read your earlier post and I am not sure how I interpreted it as a suggested cam upgrade. :shrug: I'll blame it on sleep deprivation. Anyhow thanks for posting up the links. The cam card info is great. If I read it correctly a 6000 maybe 6200rpm rev limit would be about right as it will be out of puff at 6400rpm and 2500 stall is probably going to work for a car to give it good street manners.

Also watched a few you tube videos of cars with X-303 camshafts. I know it is only the intake lobe that is the same on my camshaft but if it idles anything like the ones in the videos I will be very happy.
lukep6470
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by lukep6470 »

True tracks act like an open when the car is on a hoist. At least mine did. It needs a load on it to trigger the lockup.
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

lukep6470 wrote:True tracks act like an open when the car is on a hoist. At least mine did. It needs a load on it to trigger the lockup.
That triggers my memory actually. I remember reading that you had to have SOME traction on the other wheel, or it wouldn't work properly.
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

Its a 363 it will go fine.
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

hybrid wrote:
lukep6470 wrote:True tracks act like an open when the car is on a hoist. At least mine did. It needs a load on it to trigger the lockup.
That triggers my memory actually. I remember reading that you had to have SOME traction on the other wheel, or it wouldn't work properly.
Indeed this is correct. It is not a locker.
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

boofhead wrote:
hybrid wrote:
Indeed this is correct. It is not a locker.
Unlike yours Boof that twirps everwhere ....... ;)
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

I love my locker. I admit though that it is not for everyone.
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

boofhead wrote:I love my locker. I admit though that it is not for everyone.
I love it too. Tells the doof doof boys to leave me alone ...... ?
Kerry

Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

ozbilt wrote:
So will a 363 . I reckon Woody used that cam cause its a steel core off the shelf and will give a moderate muscle car idle which is what most people want.
Last edited by Shaunp on Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

Shaunp wrote:
ozbilt wrote:
So will a 363 . I reckon Woody used that cam cause its a steel core off the shelf and will give a moderate muscle car idle which is what most people want.
????

I was making comment on the locker, not the other end of the car ........ :lol:
Kerry