Fairstang Project

Create your project threads here if you prefer to keep them out of the regular forums

Moderator: Moderators

Shayne93
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Re: Fairstang Project

Post by Shayne93 »

Scott, I see in your brake converson it makes the overall diff width (wheel mounting surfaces) 6mm wider each side. Has this become an issue with wheels sticking out as my conversion on the diff will stick them out 3mm each side. Are you running same offset and backspace on frnt and rear?
1966 Ford Mustang Coupe... [Build in progress]
stu67
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by stu67 »

Scott, have you got her running yet?

I was expecting a nightmare job so i didnt even try.....then i accidentally turned the key one slot to far and....bam, starter was turning the motor over. Needless to say, I was in the corolla with a jerry-can so fast i think there are burn marks from my shoes on the gravel. 5 mins later we had 15l of fuel in the tank and were bleeding the fuel lines of air. Beauty of an efi motor, once the air was out of the system and adequate pressure she cleared her throat in the first 5 seconds and then was purring like she had never been stopped.

Not sure how it happened seeing only 70% of the electrics are done, but it did....
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

stu67 wrote:Scott, have you got her running yet?

I was expecting a nightmare job so i didnt even try.....then i accidentally turned the key one slot to far and....bam, starter was turning the motor over. Needless to say, I was in the corolla with a jerry-can so fast i think there are burn marks from my shoes on the gravel. 5 mins later we had 15l of fuel in the tank and were bleeding the fuel lines of air. Beauty of an efi motor, once the air was out of the system and adequate pressure she cleared her throat in the first 5 seconds and then was purring like she had never been stopped.

Not sure how it happened seeing only 70% of the electrics are done, but it did....
Sounds like you have the right 70% there Stu. :joy:
stu67
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by stu67 »

Sure does, but as far as i was aware i had to do certain things with the door locks etc or the smart-lock wouldn't disable, but seems i didn't have to do that...which has me totally confused and very relieved...
scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by scott66stang »

Shayne93 wrote:Scott, I see in your brake converson it makes the overall diff width (wheel mounting surfaces) 6mm wider each side. Has this become an issue with wheels sticking out as my conversion on the diff will stick them out 3mm each side. Are you running same offset and backspace on frnt and rear?
yeah it is 3mm each side , i forgot to deduct the thickness of the original brake drum. Yes i have the same BS front and rear, the foose rims i had didnt have enough BS for a 17 x 8.5 rim it was 4.5, the ones i have now are 5 all round i think havent pulled them off since they were fitted on the Mustangtech 1st Bday party, i brought them 2nd hand and tried them on then.
scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by scott66stang »

stu67 wrote:Scott, have you got her running yet?

No mate but its not alot to have i running again, i had to wait a while before i got the power steering hoses made up and i still havent fitted them. Apart from doing my exhaust over a couple of days a few months ago, i havent been able to work on the stang and it looks like that will extent a few more months now with my other commitments. Got way too much other stuff going on.
Shayne93
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Shayne93 »

scott66stang wrote:
Shayne93 wrote:Scott, I see in your brake converson it makes the overall diff width (wheel mounting surfaces) 6mm wider each side. Has this become an issue with wheels sticking out as my conversion on the diff will stick them out 3mm each side. Are you running same offset and backspace on frnt and rear?
yeah it is 3mm each side , i forgot to deduct the thickness of the original brake drum. Yes i have the same BS front and rear, the foose rims i had didnt have enough BS for a 17 x 8.5 rim it was 4.5, the ones i have now are 5 all round i think havent pulled them off since they were fitted on the Mustangtech 1st Bday party, i brought them 2nd hand and tried them on then.
Hmm sweet, same diff widths then.
I'm looking at 17x7 all round, speedy malibu ET0.
Fairlane wheels are 15x6.5 ET6.
Makes the backspace of both the same, speedies will sit out 12mm further than stock fairlane wheels.
I think I am worrying over shit.
mwizz
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by mwizz »

Those tripes work really well with the paint, well done
scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by scott66stang »

Chadd and i tried on the Speedy Malibu 16's with no tyres fitted . I brought some because thats what i wanted and i returned them. I think they only came with 4 bs, not a good fit and would of had to put on 215s
Chadd went with Showheels instead with a similar 5 spoke 17x7 4.25bs
Shayne93
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Shayne93 »

so 4.25bs is what i should be looking for.
On 17x7 that keeps the offset of ET6 as 15x6.5 ET6 is 4"bs.
Will look at show wheels :)
scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by scott66stang »

I would go 4.5 - 4.75 shayne otherwise you will be limited for tyre size all round. I think Chadd has 215 's its on that other recent rim tyre thread somewhere
Shayne93
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Shayne93 »

Because of the fronts catching the guards?
scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by scott66stang »

Shayne93 wrote:Because of the fronts catching the guards?
And the rear, if i remember correctly with the malibu rims only on and a straight edge the rim sat about 5mm on the original rear arch lip, and on Chadds it was only just fitting in, however Cahdd found his diff was not cental at this stage and corrected it but not sure which side was in or out. Either way there was not much room for error.
stu67
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by stu67 »

Scott, you are using the mustang diff though right? I have the EF/EL diff in there and its significantly wider than the Mustang one, to the tune of about an inch each side. Does this increase or decrease my backspace, i am a little confused.
scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by scott66stang »

stu67 wrote:Scott, you are using the mustang diff though right? I have the EF/EL diff in there and its significantly wider than the Mustang one, to the tune of about an inch each side. Does this increase or decrease my backspace, i am a little confused.
You need to increase your bs, but to be honest you will be battling to get anything decent in there. You need to get your diff shortened which gives you a good option of going shorter , say 10-20mm each side shorter than the stock mustang
diff, which will give you a great choice of deeper dish rims and wider tyres on the back atleast. I was going to do this with the NC diff instead of shortening the mustang diff , that was untill i found my latest rims that fit well. I still see it as a future mod so i can use the Mustang diff in a XL ute i have , v8 conversion as they are the same width diff but only good for 6cyl.