Fairstang Project

Create your project threads here if you prefer to keep them out of the regular forums

Moderator: Moderators

ChilliChadd
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Re: Fairstang Project

Post by ChilliChadd »

scott66stang wrote:I would go 4.5 - 4.75 shayne otherwise you will be limited for tyre size all round. I think Chadd has 215 's its on that other recent rim tyre thread somewhere
correcto Scotty, 215 on a 17x7 with a 4.25 back space or ET6 in new terms. Shanyne ET0 means the mounting face is smack in the middle of the rim so on a 7 means a 4 back space, ET6 means the mounting face is 6mm to the outside face of the rim from dead centre so 4.25 on a 7, and an ET-6 means the mounting face is 6mmto the inside of the rim from dead centre so 3.75 on a 7. I hope thats as clear as mud :)
Chadd

_______________COUPDUP_______________
ChilliChadd
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by ChilliChadd »

scott66stang wrote:
Shayne93 wrote:Because of the fronts catching the guards?
And the rear, if i remember correctly with the malibu rims only on and a straight edge the rim sat about 5mm on the original rear arch lip, and on Chadds it was only just fitting in, however Cahdd found his diff was not cental at this stage and corrected it but not sure which side was in or out. Either way there was not much room for error.
Scott is was that side that we tried the rim on that was out by 6mm so that'll be a clearance of 11, Ill have to bring the old girl around and try on thos other rims of yours :thumbs: :drink:
Chadd

_______________COUPDUP_______________
Shayne93
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Shayne93 »

ChilliChadd wrote:
scott66stang wrote:I would go 4.5 - 4.75 shayne otherwise you will be limited for tyre size all round. I think Chadd has 215 's its on that other recent rim tyre thread somewhere
correcto Scotty, 215 on a 17x7 with a 4.25 back space or ET6 in new terms. Shanyne ET0 means the mounting face is smack in the middle of the rim so on a 7 means a 4 back space, ET6 means the mounting face is 6mm to the outside face of the rim from dead centre so 4.25 on a 7, and an ET-6 means the mounting face is 6mmto the inside of the rim from dead centre so 3.75 on a 7. I hope thats as clear as mud :)
Yeah I found a real good calculator on the net for it last night
1966 Ford Mustang Coupe... [Build in progress]
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

Shayne93 wrote:
Yeah I found a real good calculator on the net for it last night

Whats it called? A ruler? :-D
Foresight
Zebras for hire
Zebras for hire

Post by Foresight »

See shayne theres nothing to worry about...the ancient relics are just as "smart" as us whipper snappers :rotfl:
Cheers,
Lee & Q
69 428 mach 1 - Guess who...it's Q!
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

Foresight wrote:See shayne theres nothing to worry about...the ancient relics are just as "smart" as us whipper snappers :rotfl:
derelics is probably closer to the truth
Foresight
Zebras for hire
Zebras for hire

Post by Foresight »

I was trying to be semi respectful nassi...I now see the errors of my ways :cement:
Cheers,
Lee & Q
69 428 mach 1 - Guess who...it's Q!
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

Foresight wrote:I was trying to be semi respectful nassi...I now see the errors of my ways :cement:
Yeah....... why bother. :-D
Shayne93
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Shayne93 »

Scott, with the radiator, did you just place the bottom mounting holes in the front rails with the grommets and just hammer and dolly the top lip of the radiator support to allow it to fit?
scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by scott66stang »

sounds like you have a different radiator? Mine had just rubber saddles the bottom of the tank sat on. I cut off the metal saddle seats from the Fairlane and spot welded them to the very edge of the rails.
The top radiator support didnt need mod except where i have fitted the condensor, it just sat against it with a little clearance and the mounting nuts spaced out accordingly.

You can just make out the saddle on the lh rail in this pic, the top support is modified for the aircon condensor to fit in

Shayne93
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Shayne93 »

I want to use a BA alloy radiator, they seat the same as an AU, well that's the plan anyway
Pinto-Pete
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Pinto-Pete »

Foresight wrote:See shayne theres nothing to worry about...the ancient relics are just as "smart" as us whipper snappers :rotfl:
might'nt be very smart but I can lift heavy things ya wipper sniper.... 8O
I'm Batman...

Crane Operator
Mammoet Australia
Rye Park Wind Farm
scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by scott66stang »

Well this is where i left off back in Sept 2011, then had to stop due to other committments. Had just built my headers and trial fitted the rest of the exhaust.
scott66stang wrote:All bolted up without gaskets at this stage, still have to fit the rest of the system in place properly

Thanks to Birchy S[_]spect who came over a couple of months ago and helped me clear in and outside the shed enough to push the Fairstang out off the 2 post hoist and back in onto the 4 post hoist near by.
I needed to get it resting on all 4 wheels to sort out the Exhaust, brake line placement around the diff, and get some sort of front wheel alignment.
So over the last month I have chipped away at her again, the exhaust is now in position and clamped and welded, I needed to redesign the section from the cross pipe behind the gearbox to the cat converters as it hung too low and didn't quite line up. It was a prick of a job i can tell you, took four days of available shed hours and running around to exhaust shops for bends to complete.
Also cleaned up that ugly fuel and brake line heat shield cover behind it.
These are the before shots, i will take some more once i have it in the air again but pretty much looks the same as above but permanent.
That's what i hate about this stage, i am just cleaning up the mock up bits so doesn't look or feel like any progress even though many hours have been spent.
The whole car has built up a lot of dust inside, underside and engine bay and hasn't had a wash up as yet but the outside paint gets a wipe over with a wet rag now and then.

scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by scott66stang »

Been serching a while for Au-Fg ute seats, Supra seats i have would of looked ok and they sat low, but would require a full recover and i think the BA black leather seats i found for $400 at the wreckers was the way to go.
Other wreckers wanted 900+, but these were damaged from a side on collision and had bent the side supports out.
I hadnt pulled apart a modern seat before and expected a load of hog rings, couldnt believe i just had to pull and unclip 4 plastic strips to release the upholstery. The side supports were just 4mm bent rods so a quick manipulation and they were as good as new.
Gave them a scrub to remove dirt and a bit of white paint that had been splashed on them, armour oil and good as new.

Before at the wreckers

And after

gner8r
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by gner8r »

Great job a big difference on those seats
1965 Mustang Coupe with a 5.0L EFI V8