Project Lime A code.

Create your project threads here if you prefer to keep them out of the regular forums

Moderator: Moderators

Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: Project Lime A code.

Post by Shaunp »

Nearly got the roof ready to hi-build prime, was going to go with Glasurit, but have gone with Sikkens, they have a formula for Lime gold, that looks pretty good. Got the primer this morning. Sikkens is a litte cheaper , hopefully it is ok and the metalic lays nice.
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

3 coats of Sikkens hibuild glad this is done, worst panel on the car, came up pretty nice, with the new gutters, had to mig spot a few pitts in the skin,good enough to paint and leave, but it will still get a vinyl top as it left San jose

Now the top is covered with something, time roll it over and shif the hand brake stuff, repair the towers, then back to the rest of the body work.
unilec5544
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by unilec5544 »

Beautiful job, looks original. Are you going to top coat the roof before the vinyl top or leave it in primer?
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

Yeah, base and clear same as the rest of the car will get. It only had primer under the vinyl from the factory, red oxide and some white looking build primer.
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

Looks great. I do not know how you get the time.
I look forward to the next steps. I should have colour starting to appear sometime over the next two weeks.

BTW: Are you installing the Vinyl top? As you know I am doing the same so the next step after the colour is the top.
I will someday think of something clever to say.
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

I may get John Davies around to do the top and roof lining, he is just a Manly, Hotrod guy, think he is called Bayside trimming, I have a repo top and lining.
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

OK thanks I will keep him in mind. I to have a repo top and lining. Exciting phase putting it all together.
I will someday think of something clever to say.
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

Gave it a degrease and pressure wash, bloody good shell this came up a treat. They must have run them through a paint bath at San Jose looking at the way the red oxide has dripped off. I'll degrease it again this time with a scotch brite pad and scrubbing brush, very tidy underneath would be a good referance for a concours build. The red oxide is only pealing on the galvenised parts like rails etc

Last edited by Shaunp on Sat May 05, 2012 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by scott66stang »

Looks a great shell Shaun. rails look undamaged aswell from what i can see.
My 66 san jose built also come with plenty of drips but i got the dark grey/black coat mix
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

It's straight as Scott, I've had to tidy up the caster bar mounts, has a jack dent in one rail under the floor. I'll cut a hole in the pan and smack it down from above. I'll do it oxide again, not going to strip it just clean and re stone gaurd where it needs it then shoot the oxide on, still has lime gold under the rear arches. I'll do the arhes with base and hardner.
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

Shaunp wrote:Gave it a degrease and pressure wash, bloody good shell this came up a treat. They must have run them through a paint bath at San Jose looking at the way the red oxide has dripped off. I'll degrease it again this time with a scotch brite pad and scrubbing brush, very tidy underneath would be a good referance for a concours build. The red oxide is only pealing on the galvenised parts like rails etc
No paint bath, but the red oxide was applied with a gun setup very similar to a pressure washer.... 8O

Also the width of the fan on the guns that applied the primer to the top & inside the cars were incredible.

The guys, spraying the undersides of the cars all day, wore rain coats & rain hats as there was that much paint going on. It ran like water before the shell went into the baking booth, before being rubbed for the final coat.

We have developed the technique & paint consistency to get the same effect when building a "correct" car. Makes a mess on the floor & we use a lot of product.
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

I'm just going to scotch brite it and sand where it is comeing off the gal parts and spray over it, whats on there is very sound. So it will look the same basically
chopmgw
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by chopmgw »

Looks good shaun.
Easy resto apart from the roof.
Seems similar to mine.
Keep up the progress pics.
:like:
I smell oranges !

Michael
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

Yeah very similar, that's why I got it, but unlike you I could see the roof as the vinyl was off, so I knew what I was getting into. I did RHD conversion as well.
It has deluxe trim, AC, A code engine, tinted glass, etc etc, pretty optioned car. Aiming for a period look like yours, but i have the makings of a pretty quick 289, alloy heads etc, and Toploader 4 speed, Hustler wheels ( Oz copies of AM Torque thrusts). Full rebuild as you can see. Shuold be a nice car. Few handling mods as I will be hill climbing it at Mt Cotton and will do some historic street sprints , like Gatton, Leyburn, Noosa hill climb once i have it sorted. I know Mt Cotton so I'll sort it there. I've got 10 Hustler wheels so I'll put BFG T/As on one set and Hoosier race tyres on the other set. Trailer it behind the Landrover, incase I hurt it.
xpconnor
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by xpconnor »

ozbilt wrote: We have developed the technique & paint consistency to get the same effect when building a "correct" car. Makes a mess on the floor & we use a lot of product.
I didn't know you had employed me to start painting the bottom of you cars. :rotfl:
"The Mustang is full of Awesome"