GT350 tribute

For those of us who are lucky enough to have a working Mustang instead of a project!
StephenSLR
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Re: GT350 tribute

Post by StephenSLR »

I spoke to the mechanic yesterday, he will look over my photos showing roof rail mounts for seat belts in other fastbacks and an RTA document showing that TCP control arms have been certified on another Mustang here in NSW.

I'm also thinking it may be an idea to get 'historic registration'. I'll only need a pink slip and at least I'll be able to drive around to events and servicing.

s
Last edited by StephenSLR on Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

It would be a shame to have to restrict the rego on one engineers advice that's clearly wrong.
But I guess you could start with that rego just to get it on the road and then get it engineered down the track for full rego.
StephenSLR
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by StephenSLR »

hybrid wrote:I guess you could start with that rego just to get it on the road and then get it engineered down the track for full rego.
That's my intention.

s
StephenSLR
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by StephenSLR »

Just spoke Chris the mechanic, he'll start work on it and get it ready for a pink slip. Just have get the club to sign on it.

s
Last edited by StephenSLR on Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

StephenSLR wrote:I'm also thinking if he doesn't approve it, it may be an idea to get 'historic registration'. I'll only need a pink slip and at least I'll be able to drive around to events and servicing.

Does anyone know if the mods will be an issue for club reg. and will I be able to keep the lap belts?

s
You will not be able to get "historic" rego for the car unless it goes back to stock. That would mean all suspension comes out & wheels would have to be 14" in dia unless you have "period correct" wheels & tyres to go on it.

With your car you are committed to full rego, so an engineers cert & blue slip.
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
StephenSLR
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by StephenSLR »

ozbilt wrote:You will not be able to get "historic" rego for the car unless it goes back to stock.
Ah, thanks, I was wondering how far 'period correct' extends to and if a suspension upgrade was a safety feature.

They are Shelby style wheels which I believe were issued on Mustangs but I guess the diameters are not period correct.

s
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

StephenSLR wrote:
ozbilt wrote:You will not be able to get "historic" rego for the car unless it goes back to stock.
Ah, thanks, I was wondering how far 'period correct' extends to and if a suspension upgrade was a safety feature.

They are Shelby style wheels which I believe were issued on Mustangs but I guess the diameters are not period correct.

s
15" is your max dia on the early cars for historic. If they are really fussy, it also extends to colour, but I feel yours is close enough.

Those wheels are nothing like a Shelby rim for that model year, let alone diameter.

Oh & the diff would have to be changed back to drum brakes. Possibly the front brakes would have to go to the correct 4 piston calipers as well, however I do know of cars on historic plates that have "incorrect" front disk/calipers ...
Kerry

StephenSLR
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by StephenSLR »

ozbilt wrote:If they are really fussy, it also extends to colour, but I feel yours is close enough.
To be honest that was the first thing I thought of, it is a Mustang colour but isn't an original colour scheme with the colour stripe combination and isn't the car's original colour either. Wasn't sure if they were going to compare the car's tag specs against the its attributes.
ozbilt wrote:Those wheels are nothing like a Shelby rim for that model year
True, if they were the right rim size then the argument would be how many years either side of 'period correct' it can be, i.e. whether they accept the decade, the model range or be as finite as to the month of production.

i.e. LX headlights on an LH Torana (sorry for swearing) lol.
ozbilt wrote: the diff would have to be changed back to drum brakes. I do know of cars on historic plates that have "incorrect" front disk/calipers ...
I'm sure there's plenty of cars that aren't true to heritage, they probably get around it through the 'safety' loophole. Disks do have better stopping power.

Just like differing engineers opinions it would depend on how strict the club is as to what they deem 'acceptable'.

s
Last edited by StephenSLR on Thu May 31, 2012 3:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
donoauto
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by donoauto »

I am looking at a '69 big block Stingray vette in my shop now with club rego "historic" plates - front tyres extend out past the wheel arches & rear are 295's under some fibreglass extended wheel arches. 454 ci , not the original 427 ci & it cruised through club rego. Not saying it's legal or correct but he's driving it. Depends on the club by the looks of it ( & if the owners game enough to flagrantly break the law on his tyres outside the guards.....)
(PRAYER) Oh thank you Wild Turkey American Honey & Cola in those small thin bottles, for giving me the strength to act like a half wit, and say stupid things at inappropriate times, semi-anonymously, on a public forum.
Amen.
StephenSLR
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by StephenSLR »

donoauto wrote:front tyres extend out past the wheel arches & rear are 295's under some fibreglass extended wheel arches.
I'm sure some people may also get historic rego then alter it later, same way they would after getting a blue slip.

You're supposed to sign a declaration stating you believe the car is original, submit photos, etc. Not sure if the clubs go as far as reporting you and cancelling it if they spot it's been changed afterwards. I'm sure there'd be some hungry cops out there however.....

s
StephenSLR
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by StephenSLR »

Everything's so much easier in the USA.

[center]^ Colorado 'Collector Vehicle' plates.[/center]

s
Last edited by StephenSLR on Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:30 am, edited 5 times in total.
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

If you have "historic" rego & the car does not comply with the RTA regs, then it is deemed to be illegally on the road without Greenslip insurance. Minimum fine of over 3K when added up + whatever the court decides.

Try to explain that after a small or large collision.
Kerry

ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

StephenSLR wrote:Everything's so much easier in the USA.

Colorado 'Collector Vehicle' plates. ^

s
Collector cars are not "historic" cars, big difference. Historic plates in the US are only on standard vehicles.
Kerry

StephenSLR
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by StephenSLR »

ozbilt wrote:If you have "historic" rego & the car does not comply with the RTA regs, then it is deemed to be illegally on the road without Greenslip insurance. Minimum fine of over 3K when added up + whatever the court decides.

That would also be the same if it were 'modified' and not insured as such?

It was why many insurance companies in the past wouldn't touch a modified vehicle or charge through the roof.

s
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

StephenSLR wrote:
ozbilt wrote:If you have "historic" rego & the car does not comply with the RTA regs, then it is deemed to be illegally on the road without Greenslip insurance. Minimum fine of over 3K when added up + whatever the court decides.

That would also be the same if it were 'modified' and not insured as such?

It was why many insurance companies in the past wouldn't touch a modified vehicle or charge through the roof.

s
Yes
Kerry